Importing Fossamail x64 Profile to Thunderbird Topic is solved

Support topics for the mail/news/chat client
Wewpt

Importing Fossamail x64 Profile to Thunderbird

Unread post by Wewpt » 2017-04-10, 20:20

I've searched everywhere for instructions on how to do this.

I'm honestly sad to hear Fossamail is coming to an end, if I were in a position (financially or other), it would be one of the few programs I'd support.

So I'm going back to Thunderbird. But I'm having difficulty trying to find a way to move everything to it. I can't be the only one.

This is what I've tried so far :

FEBE doesn't work in the latest Thunderbird, so I can't import that way.

I can't just copy the profile over, that doesn't work either.

MOZBackup won't restore my Fossamail profile to Thunderbird.

The Fossamail migration tool only works to import.

Thunderbird Message Filter Import/Export doesn't work in Fossamail or Thunderbird.

---

I have dozens of local subfolders, and many many mail filters. If I have to recreate all those filters and recreate all my local subfolders, and then drag, one subfolder at a time, all my individual emails into a windows folder and then back into Thunderbird...it'll probably take me the better part of a day :( I cannot afford to buy software to do this so an addon or third party (free) utility is my only other option.

Please, someone tell me there is a way to transfer my profile over to Thunderbird.

RIP Fossamail :(

Wewpt

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Importing Fossamail x64 Profile to Thunderbird

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-10, 22:21

You can copy the entire FossaMail profile's contents across to the profile location in Thunderbird and it Should Just Work™
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-04-11, 00:58

Why not just tell Thunderbird to use the Fossamail-folder (change the location in Thunderbird) ?
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation
Moderator (and "undercover" Admin) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.

Wewpt

Unread post by Wewpt » 2017-04-11, 08:01

You can copy the entire FossaMail profile's contents across to the profile location in Thunderbird and it Should Just Work™
Lol you trademarked that did ya? :p

For some reason, even after cold reboots I could not get this to work. Thunderbird would attempt to launch then I'd get 'error loading' and cannot find specified files errors.

After you say it works, I had to believe I was doing something wrong. Ultimately I uninstalled Thunderbird completely, wiped all traces of it, clean boot, fresh install, and tried copying the profile contents over and it worked like a charm. I like to know why things like this happen so I'll be examining logs and seeing if I can track down (for my own satisfaction) where the problem was.

Thanks MC :)
Why not just tell Thunderbird to use the Fossamail-folder (change the location in Thunderbird) ?
Thanks for the response hackerman1, I tried that as well, read above for details.

Problem solved, thanks you two.

Wewpt

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-04-11, 21:39

Wewpt wrote:
hackerman1 wrote:Why not just tell Thunderbird to use the Fossamail-folder (change the location in Thunderbird) ?
Thanks for the response hackerman1, I tried that as well, read above for details.
Wewpt
I´m sorry, i was tired when i posted that (at 02:58 swedish summertime), right before i went to bed.... ;)
I should also have told you how to do it.
It sometimes to easy to forget that not everyone always knows what you know mean...

Anyway, here is how to do it.
The important lines in the profiles.ini are these two (an example from my own profile):
IsRelative=0
Path=E:\PROGRAM FILES\PALE MOON SETTINGS\

If you just enter the full path it will not work because the default setting is the path being "relative", IsRelative=1
So you also have to change the setting to IsRelative=0
That was probably the reason for why it didn´t work for you....
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation
Moderator (and "undercover" Admin) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.

Wewpt

Unread post by Wewpt » 2017-04-11, 21:58

Tired? BAH that's no excuse! Who needs sleep anyways lol :p

But I forgive you, this time ;)

The ini was something I looked at the second time I tried to do what you suggest (found that when searching online), but was still a no go.

In the end I completely uninstalled and reinstalled Thunderbird and copied the profile over, worked like a charm.

Thanks a lot for the followup hackerman1, not something I expected so it was a pleasant surprise.

You show how a real MOD should act and handle posts, good on you. :) Hrm...not a Moderator....doesn't matter, these forums are better with people like you offering your input and advice (not to insult those are are Moderators in any way).

Take care.

Wewpt