Can't send email

Support topics for the mail/news/chat client
dlangton

Can't send email

Unread post by dlangton » 2017-03-16, 16:23

I have the same email account set up in Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Microsoft Mail, and FossaMail. I use the same settings on all four programs. I can receive email on all, but I can't send email using FossaMail. Where's the best place to look for the problem? I've even tried using mobile.charter.net rather than smtp.charter.net as my outgoing server (works on Thunderbird). The best I can do is with that setting is I get prompted for my password, which it rejects, even though I use the same password everywhere else on my other email clients. If I leave it at smtp.charter.net, I don't even get the prompt for my password. Should I set things up as IMAP?

dark_moon

Re: Can't send email

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-03-16, 23:06

POP3 and IMAP are supported by FossaMail. I use both without problems.
Check your server settings in FossaMail. Something must be wrong

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Can't send email

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-17, 14:29

If your outgoing server is set correctly as smtp.charter.net then that should just work. It depends a little on what the ISP offers in terms of options for sending e-mail.
e.g.: are they offering SSL/TLS? If so, you should use that (with the correct port). You can find these settings under "Account settings" -> Outgoing server (SMTP). This will list the ones you have configures, and you can select your charter.net one and click edit to check/change the settings.

Please refer to your ISP's help for sending mail to find the correct settings.

If all that is in order, check if something locally is preventing outbound connections for SMTP (some antivirus software/firewalls will do this to prevent compromised computers from becoming spambots).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite