Master password asked for twice

Support topics for the mail/news/chat client
DutchPete

Master password asked for twice

Unread post by DutchPete » 2017-01-26, 14:23

I have FossaMail locked with a master password. I just upgraded to v. 27, and now FM asks for the master password twice. Any suggestions?

half-moon

Re: Master password asked for twice

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-01-26, 17:41

DutchPete wrote:I have FossaMail locked with a master password. I just upgraded to v. 27, and now FM asks for the master password twice. Any suggestions?
I don't know what to say, I don't use a master password with FM, since I use an external password manager. Can you clarify what you mean by asking for the master password twice?

DutchPete

Unread post by DutchPete » 2017-01-27, 11:24

I also use an external password manager, but that has nothing to do with FossaMail, in any case I don't see how you can lock FM with an external password manager.

As for my issue, when I launch FM I dialogue box comes up asking you to fill in your master password. That is fine, how is should be, how it was for me till yesterday. But after filling in the master password correctly, the dialogue box remains, so I have to fill in the master password again. After filling it in for the 2nd time I get access to FM. Before the upgrade to v.27 the dialogue box used to disappear after filling in the password once only, as it should be.

So it seems to me there is a bug in FM 27, or something got corrupted. Hence my request for suggestions.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-01-27, 12:34

I personally use the internal password manager with a master password, and it asks for the password just once.

It's possible that it asks twice if something (e.g. an extension) tries to access a different password-locked area while you're being prompted for the password for your mail accounts (resulting in the request being queued up).
Without more information it's hard to say anything more.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

DutchPete

Unread post by DutchPete » 2017-01-27, 14:18

I assume that your use of the internal password manager with a master password is the same as what I am using, i.e. the master password that you can set under Options, tab Security. Please confirm.

Assuming that we are talking about the same master password, then I can confirm that in FM v.26 it only asked for the master password once. After upgrading to v.27 the dialogue box remained open after accepting the password, but with the field for the password blank again, i.e. asking to fill in the password again.

I don't know what other info to furnish as there isn't more to this process. Is there anything you see that could cause this change of FM launch behaviour? Is there anything I can do to get back to just having to type in the master password once?

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2017-01-27, 20:19

Just updated to Fossamail 27.0.0 and - without having used a master password before - found that FM 27 refused to connect to 2 accounts with password fail messages. I looked up the account passwords and they were outdated, so I guess FM 27 must have grabbed some wrong, outdated file in the profile folder and maybe this happens to the master password too? Just my first guess... wasn't there a similar thing in PM 27?

DutchPete

Unread post by DutchPete » 2017-01-28, 05:08

Like you, after the upgrade FM had grabbed old passwords from somewhere, so I had to adjust them. But that still leaves me with the issue of the master password. How can I get rid of the need to fill in the master password twice??
Surely the developer must be able to establish what FM does during the upgrade, where it grabs old passwords, why the master password needs to be filled in twice, how this can be corrected both at the user end & as a bug fix?
I am a bit perplexed that this is turning into a seemingly unsolvable issue.