Changing passwords for IMAP account

Support topics for the mail/news/chat client
praeter

Changing passwords for IMAP account

Unread post by praeter » 2017-01-18, 04:17

There is some missing piece to this process that I either don't get, or is missing. The behavior is the same in Thunderbird as of whatever the latest version that's available for Ubuntu.
I'm on Win10, now, using Fossamail 25.2.4 (x64).
The culprit in both cases was Yahoo. Not sure if the problem extends to other providers.

- I changed my password on their website.
- I went to the saved passwords in Fossamail (Tools -> Options -> Security -> Saved Passwords).
- I deleted the two Yahoo lines (imap, smtp).
- I tried to get mail from Yahoo again. Fossamail prompted me to input a new password. I did and checked the box to save the password.

Whenever I try to get mail, it fails and I get the popup notification in the system tray telling me the server has disconnected.

I went back to Tools -> Options -> Security -> Saved Passwords, and I noticed there is now only an imap entry, nothing for smtp.

I tried going to Account Settings -> Local Folders -> Outoing Server(SMTP), and then removing and manually re-adding the SMTP settings for Yahoo.
I was thinking it might ask me, again, for the password. It doesn't.

I tried removing both the password from saved passwords and the SMTP settings, and then closing/restarting the application.
The prompt came up, again, to enter the password, but it still just says the server has disconnected, and won't retrieve any mail.

I decided to try removing the account completely and setting it up again.
That doesn't work either. I know my new password works. I'm logged into my yahoo account via their website as I'm typing this.
But Fossamail won't connect no matter what I do.

praeter

Re: Changing passwords for IMAP account

Unread post by praeter » 2017-01-18, 06:38

So, this is at least partly (maybe even mostly) yahoo's fault.

I was fairly quick to post, here, because I had the same problem in the past with Thunderbird. Removing the account and recreating it fixed it, then.

Anyway, I tried to access the same account using the Windows 10 Mail app, and it wouldn't connect either. So, something is jacked up on their side.

Probably better to vacate yahoo mail, anyway.

I still suggest changing the "change password" workflow. At least add a new one that's more comprehensive / user-friendly, and not just a reused remnant of the Firefox password management.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-01-18, 11:39

Anybody know yahoo is crap. So just use another mail provider and you fine.
If the topic is solved, please mark it as solved.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-01-18, 13:21

praeter wrote:At least add a new one that's more comprehensive / user-friendly, and not just a reused remnant of the Firefox password management.
The password manager is part of the platform/toolkit code. It is the same as in Pale Moon.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-01-20, 12:59

This is usually fixed by just changing your Yahoo password one more time (on the Yahoo website).

If you use Yahoo's Two-step verification for extra security (highly recommended), you need to create an additional password for most programs (including FossaMail).