Moving Thunderbird local foders to FossaMail

Support topics for the mail/news/chat client
clivepage

Moving Thunderbird local foders to FossaMail

Unread post by clivepage » 2016-12-21, 22:44

I have been a Thunderbird user for many years on Linux and Windows, but recently my Win10 laptop kept having problems with Thunderbird so I have installed FossaMail to replace it. I have to say that so far it looks very similar and works very well. But I have one problem.

The Thunderbird installation has a lot of oldish emails in local folders. I found these in the Thunderbird\Profiles\myprofile\Mail\Local Folders folder - and there was as I expected one folder for each of the mail folders with lots of individual files in them. The top level folders were of the form "car.mosmsgs" for the "car" local folder, and within it the individual files have very long names with an extension of .wdseml and I guess there is one file (typically 1 or 2 kB in size) for each individual message.

So I copied all of the folders in the Local Folders directory to the corresponding place in the FossaMail installation. This took many minutes because there was 1.3 GB of files in total. I can see from the File Explorer that they are all there and have what looks the right size. The folder names showed up when running FossaMail, but all were empty. I'm guessing that the file format is unknown to FossaMail - is there any way around this?

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Moving Thunderbird local foders to FossaMail

Unread post by mseliger » 2016-12-22, 14:00

Hello clivepage,

to export elements from Thunderbird and to import into FossaMail use the addon ImportExport Tools:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... ls/?src=ss

You can export your elements from Thunderbird in the mbox-format and import them in FossaMail.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...
Annette von Droste zu Hülshoff, Bei uns zu Lande auf dem Lande

clivepage

Re: Moving Thunderbird local foders to FossaMail

Unread post by clivepage » 2016-12-22, 15:19

Maria

Thanks for that suggestion, I have installed the add-on. But I can't see how to export in MBOX format. I have tried selecting either the Local Folders or each contained folder individually, then ImportExport tools, and it gives me export options of: EML, HTML, plain text, CSV, PDF etc. but not MBOX format.