Junk mail classification

Support topics for the mail/news/chat client
noteven47

Junk mail classification

Unread post by noteven47 » 2016-10-21, 07:23

I have been receiving a daily email summary from a local newspaper for several years. Normally it arrives in my Inbox, no problem. However, from time to time, I find that FM has decided to class it as junk. Similarly, I exchange messages weekly with a group of golfing companions; mail from one of them, no matter what I do, is always classed as junk but never any of the others. Since I no longer receive large numbers of emails, it is irritating rather than serious but I am curious to know if there is a reason and if there is anything I can do to prevent incorrect classification.

lightning slinger

Re: Junk mail classification

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2016-10-21, 10:02

Have you tried marking your wanted emails that end up in 'Junk' as 'Not Junk'. If you have had large amounts of email in the past it may be time to try 'Reset Training Data' in FossaMail Preferences > Security > Junk and allow FossaMail to relearn your current preferences now.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2016-10-21, 10:08

lightning slinger wrote:Have you tried marking your wanted emails that end up in 'Junk' as 'Not Junk'. If you have had large amounts of email in the past it may be time to try 'Reset Training Data' in FossaMail Preferences > Security > Junk and allow FossaMail to relearn your current preferences now.
Thanks for that tip, I was thinking not saying anything but it also happens to me. Pressing Not Junk repeatedly doesn't help, they still throw the Junk.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-21, 11:42

It's an adaptive filter, and it depends on what you mark as junk or not junk. You have to teach it what is junk and not junk beyond the basic rules it applies. Since every person's mail profile is different, the accuracy of the junk filter out-of-the-box depends very much the type of junk mail you usually get.
Especially if you communicate in non-English languages a lot, the accuracy may not be the best at first.

Teach the filter by consistently marking junk as junk, and UNmarking mis-classified non-junk mail. It will take more than a few messages to build up an accurate heuristics filter.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite