Password to access FossaMail?

Support topics for the mail/news/chat client
Don90630

Password to access FossaMail?

Unread post by Don90630 » 2016-09-19, 07:10

Is there a way to lock total access to FossaMail with a password?

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Passwork to access FossMail?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-09-19, 07:16

Besides Master Password to protect using saved account info.. No.. Why would one need to lock out the program totally?

I have a theory.. Multi-user system. If this is indeed the case then you should use your operating system's own ability to set up accounts for others and never should you just have one OS account everyone can use...

Don90630

Unread post by Don90630 » 2016-09-20, 17:42

I wanted to further protect my email accounts on my laptop and android phone. I am using 8 digit passwords and PINs to protect initial access to my devices, but it is my understanding, initial login passwords do not protect my email access if the devices are started by other means. I might use LastPass to access my email accounts, even though that method is not as convenient.

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2016-09-20, 18:43

You could enable FIPS in FossaMail and that way FossaMail will open but with a FIPS Password prompt and without entering the password you cannot move from the initial start up screen, no folders can be accessed, nor will it connect to your email server until you provide the password.
I use FIPS in both Pale Moon and FossaMail and while at first glance it may seem a tad long winded you cannot have extra security without some pay back!

More details on FIPS is at both

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... xplanation

https://luxsci.com/blog/master-password ... rbird.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Don90630

Re: Password to access FossaMail?

Unread post by Don90630 » 2016-09-21, 03:30

Thank you for the links. I enabled the Master Password and I see how it prevents sending and receiving new messages. However, in my setup, email previously sent and received can still be read in the Inbox and Sent folders. And if I delete an email in my unconnected FossaMail, such email is also deleted on the server after I connect using my email or master password.

So there are two problems as I see it:
1. Unauthorized users can view my emails.
2. Unauthorized users can intentionally or unintentionally delete emails, which will be deleted on the server when eventually connected.

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2016-09-21, 06:58

Don90630 wrote:.....I enabled the Master Password.....
Have you enabled FIPS as well as the Master Password?
While the Master Password will only prevent sending or receiving emails enabling FIPS should restrict access to the folders!

At least it has in all my linux distro's that use Fossamail and did the same with Thunderbird before that!

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2016-09-21, 07:13

You could also give the Master Password+ extension a try.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-09-21, 09:37

If you don't want other people to have access to your mail (including manipulating mail off-line) then what you should do is make sure you use your own user account in the operating system, and use a password (and possibly encryption, if you worry about direct access to stored mails at the file system level) on that user account. Nobody but you can then access your FossaMail profile through the mail client. Others should have their own OS user account too -- others can launch FossaMail in their user account, but won't be able to access anything but the profile in their own user account.

The FIPS password prompt is only partially effective in that respect, and shouldn't be relied upon.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Don90630

Unread post by Don90630 » 2016-09-21, 20:25

Thanks to all for links and responses. I enabled FIPS and changed four SSL3 settings in my about:config. All access to my FossaMail accounts is now unavailable without the FIPS password.