Deleted large email account; compacted folders; still huge

Support topics for the mail/news/chat client
panamint

Deleted large email account; compacted folders; still huge

Unread post by panamint » 2016-09-17, 18:55

I removed my largest email account from fossamail, and did a compact folders. However under the profile fossamail shows that it still retains the data, 45gb in there. It should have gone down to 5gb or less. What can I do about this?

The path is like C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\FossaMail\Profiles\u9dtwau1.default\ImapMail

I see that inside the path to ImapMail the domain for the deleted email account is listed twice, domain.com and domain-1.com. In fact there are two remaining email accounts in fm for that domain. Maybe these two folders are in support of those two accounts? The size of one of the folders is 32gb, that can't be realistic for an email account with 350 emails some of which contain single page pdfs. I think it's more likely that fm has not dumped the very large email account's data.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Deleted large email account; compacted folders; still huge

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-09-18, 08:32

What exactly did you do when you "deleted" the account from FossaMail?

If you removed the account entirely from the client, then of course the client won't know about the folders to compact any longer (references to it have been removed).
FossaMail will currently not automatically remove local copies of IMAP mail accounts when you remove the account from the account list -- but since you are using IMAP and it's copies of server-side mail anyway, you can safely just remove the .msf file for the domain in Imapmail, as well as the domain folders.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

panamint

Unread post by panamint » 2016-09-18, 13:43

Yes I deleted the account from the client. I can't see how it makes sense that compact would no longer deal with that account and leave it behind, but if that's how it is, I accept that as the reality I have to deal with.

It would seem to be a problem that if one removes an account you have basically committed to retaining on disk all of it's files. Either delete the data files when the account is removed, or have the compact operation remove files that are no longer tied to an account, wouldn't that be more logical?

I'm not sure if this is a tbird thing or fm thing. If it's a tbird behavior that is inherited by fm, it might be harder to change. What would the 'normal' plan be to recapture disk space? Not to delete the account until...what? You can't delete the emails inside the client, else you'd lose the emails on all clients.

I"m not sure you fully followed my original posting. I noted that while the really hard file was associated with mydomain.com, and I see two folders like that, there are two remaining email accounts for the same domain. How can I be sure that I'm not deleting folders for the active accounts?

For my purposes, after I hear back from you, I could delete the two remaining mydomain.com accounts, delete both mydomain.com folders, and reintroduce the two mydomain.com accounts to fm. But as you can see it's messy. I hope you can add some tooling that handles what must be a common situation better than this.

And thanks for the reply and thanks for the work on this very helpful email client.

panamint

Unread post by panamint » 2016-09-19, 15:25

Is there a way to export and then reimport just the account info, not including any of the data? I realize now that there is going to be a fair amount wasted storage due to of other previously deleted accounts. I should probably completely deleted everything to do with fm and start over again. I'd prefer not to have to manually reenter all of the account info.