Clear Cache Topic is solved

Support topics for the mail/news/chat client
misitu

Clear Cache

Unread post by misitu » 2016-09-08, 15:12

Hello!

I have switched over to FossaMail. (my main reason for doing so is the 64bit code). Thanks! (I also use Pale Moon).

Have just switched over to a new anti virus malware etc environment.

Items have been detected in my FossaMail cache as "High Risk (W97M.Downloader.XXX (XXX = various))". 4 such so far. I am not sure whether I should take some action on these. Clearing the whole cache (which I can't see how to do, anyway) would seem a bit overkill. Deleting an individual file from the cache might have some other impact (e.g. cache index corruption) for all I might be able to guess.

Will be grateful for your considered feedback! Thanks

David Denny
Trujillo, Peru

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Clear Cache

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-09-08, 15:56

You're likely seeing this because you've received infected attachments/fake documents. The client will cache these files for quick display of mail (especially if the mail it was attached to is html mail). It should actually be fine to just exclude the cache folder from your AV suite since any AV program will prevent you from opening known infected attachments when you try (that isn't done via cache).

Alternatively you can clear the cache and limit use of it from Options -> Advanced -> Network and disk space -> cache
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

misitu

Re: Clear Cache

Unread post by misitu » 2016-09-10, 11:41

Thanks! done.
:D