Cannot add accounts

Support topics for the mail/news/chat client
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Cannot add accounts

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-09-07, 03:08

I have never been able to add accounts into FossaMail on a computer using the Avast AV program, even though the settings are found on the accounts server FossaMail fails when checking password (password is correct because I can log-in on the web with the password).

Because I at first would get certificate error, I have imported the Avast Security Certificate into FossaMail:
Imported into FossaMail from Avast
Imported into FossaMail from Avast
I have tried disabling SSL scanning in Avast as well (which I prefer not to do but did so to see if this makes a difference) and it makes no difference. I DO NOT get the certificate errors any longer once I import the Avast Certificate into FossaMail (so that seems to help solve this issue) but I still cannot add any email accounts due to the following event referenced below:

Either way (no matter what) even though the configuration is found for the account:
Configuration found for account
Configuration found for account
... when I click on the "Done" button I will get username or password invalid problem:
Username and password are correct, they are what I use to log-in to the same account on-line on the web using a browser.
Username and password are correct, they are what I use to log-in to the same account on-line on the web using a browser.
Any ideas why this occurs on a computer using Avast would be appreciated. I use FossaMail on a computer w/out Avast, but this laptop does have Avast and since my MS Outlook 2010 is on the blink and I cannot install a fix because my laptop drive doesn't work I would appreciate a way to use FossaMail on this computer with the Avast AV.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Cannot add accounts

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-09-07, 04:11

Stop using Avast and the problem will be a non-issue.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-09-07, 05:10

Matt A Tobin wrote:Stop using Avast and the problem will be a non-issue.
Of course, but that does not answer my question since I am using Avast and apparently choose to do so based on my posted question.

So the question is, why if I do add the Avast Web/mail Shield Certificate which is what is recommended by Avast to solve any Certificate issues and why while the account configuration is "found" as stated by FossaMail then does FossaMail still end up producing "invalid password" errors when the password is correct?

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avast_Software
wikipedia wrote:Avast holds the biggest share of the world market for antivirus applications[2] and its portfolio includes a wider array of security-related products targeting both consumer and corporate markets, such as Avast Antivirus, Avast SecureLine (virtual private network), Android app Avast Antivirus & Security with over 100 million users on Google Play,[3] and browser extensions.

As of 2015, Avast controls 21.4% of the global security software market[4] – and according to a company statement, it protects more than 30% of all consumer PCs in the world outside China.[5] Avast's products are available in 45 languages and used by 220 million users worldwide.[6]

Avast has over 650 employees based in the Czech Republic,[1] with offices in the United States, Germany, China, South Korea and Taiwan.[7] In July 2016, Avast Software announced its agreement to acquire AVG Technologies for US$1.3 billion.[8]
Personally I don't think that when we talk about a Security Software application that has 220 million users and is used by more than 30% of all consumer PC's in the world not counting China the answer should be simply DON'T USE IT!! Do you Matt? Seriously, even I could have come up with that answer. :lol:

The reason users ask questions is in the hope that an answer is forthcoming as opposed to the obvious do-something-else-than-what-you're-doing. Fact is there are an awful lot of Avast users to end up telling these users to simply not use Avast, don't you think? To be fair, I was hoping for a more helpful answer to my problem. ;)

And if you think about it, the alternative simple answer to your answer would be of course don't use FossaMail. ;) Of course neither answer is helpful since based on the fact I've taken the time to post the question I would obviously prefer to use BOTH!!! Me thinks that's fairly apparent :think:, by the way. :D ..... but.... I appreciate you're taking the time, nevertheless. :thumbup:
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-09-07, 15:44

Might as well join in on my conversation. ;)

Just for the record I'm aware of this: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11142&p=78874&hilit=avast+ssl#p78874:
Moonchild wrote:I've responded as well (but you apparently don't check your PMs). Avast hijacking SSL/TLS connections with a generated certificate is not going to be trusted by FossaMail (rightfully so).
Disable SSL/TLS scanning in Avast. It's a really bad idea to do this.
the problem is this is risky for my "community" (our household) computer.

We have a total of over 40 total email accounts and receive on average 25-50 emails daily with multiple users on this computer.

Nearly every day we will get the following blocked by Avast (notice 8 emails blocked involving risky "js" and in fact they are almost always Yahoo related domains btw since Yahoo was part of the discussion in the topic linked above):
A total of 8 malicious emails blocked on one email check of 41 accounts
A total of 8 malicious emails blocked on one email check of 41 accounts
Avast email block.png (9.31 KiB) Viewed 3515 times
Of course these emails would not typically be opened, but on a laptop that the household uses and considering there are so many accounts to begin with and a large number of messages daily with multiple users I personally feel safer with Avast blocking these types of messages. (on a side note, some of the accounts we've had for 15-20 years that we want to keep and for example one happens to be Rocketmail (yahoo) domain which is no longer available so we do not want to close them for the purpose of precluding these risky accounts)

As I understand it, the suggestion in the topic linked above to disable the scanning of email accounts using SSL/TLS by Avast would make it possible for these messages to reach the respective accounts inbox and therefore to potentially be inadvertently opened as opposed to getting deleted before they even reach the computer which is the case now as far as what Avast does with these messages.

So this is the reason I would like to find a way to use FossaMail on this specific laptop computer and also continue to use Avast in the manner that I do. On other computers the email interfacing is far more limited and in those cases I don't even use Avast actually. To be clear, I'm not wed to Avast and don't necessarily use the Avast AV protection on other computers, but on this one I prefer to do so for obvious reasons. :think:

With all of this in mind, I'm starting to wonder if FossaMail and Avast may in fact be inherently incompatible, that is if you want to use the protection Avast offers in regards to Email scanning unfortunately. But I'm not giving up hope yet that someone can eventually come up with an answer for me. ;)

Again what I don't understand is why the problems if I've imported the Avast security certificate into FossaMail as I have and why the FossaMail password error on a password that is correct :?: :eh: (see initial post for details). I would simply like an explanation if nothing more as to the answers to these questions, regardless of finding a way to resolve the issue.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-09-07, 19:41

But do you realize that Avast's SSL/TLS hijacking puts you at risk of MitM attacks.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-09-07, 20:06

Would it be possible to disable the Avast security just while creating the account and after getting it set up in FossaMail
and it can be confirmed to be working, then restart the Avast Mail security?

Certainly you shouldn't have any security issues with just that right?

Not sure if that is a temp solution for you or not, but it just popped into my head so I thought I would put it out there. ;)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-09-07, 20:58

half-moon wrote:But do you realize that Avast's SSL/TLS hijacking puts you at risk of MitM attacks.
Wouldn't MitM attachs only apply to websites on the Internet and not email messages?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-09-07, 21:02

Thehandyman1957 wrote:Would it be possible to disable the Avast security just while creating the account and after getting it set up in FossaMail
and it can be confirmed to be working, then restart the Avast Mail security?

Certainly you shouldn't have any security issues with just that right?

Not sure if that is a temp solution for you or not, but it just popped into my head so I thought I would put it out there. ;)
Thanks for the suggestion, I had already tried turning off SSL Scanning for email and it didn't help.

So I now tried incrementally turning off Shields until I got to the point that ALL Shields were turned off essentially removing Avast from the picture as far as I can tell.

I still get the password error as illustrated below (the last step when I click the "Done" button) as before, therefore no change:
username or password invalid.png
So it makes me wonder if this invalid password issue has anything at all to do with Avast, but then I would have no idea what might be causing this issue otherwise either. I have just been assuming it was Avast because I had previously got the Security Certificate error until I added it to FossaMail (as illustrated in my first post).

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-09-07, 21:51

I should point out that I set up a "Master Password" in FossaMail based on FossaMail "Help" as far as the steps necessary for the importing of certificates (Thunderbird help actually as we know):
master password required.png
which doesn't seem to make any difference (I'm not asked for a password, other than the password for accounts when setting them up).

I did this based on this "Help" info: Installing an SMIME certificate, which includes the steps that enabled me to add the certificate and the steps say that I am supposed to setup a "master password" before installing the certificate which I did.
Help wrote:Installing an SMIME Certificate For Your Own Identity

Important: Before you can create or import your own certificate and private key, you must first set a master password if you have not already done so. The master password is needed so that imported certificates are stored securely. If you need instructions for setting a master password, look here.

You may have your own personal certificate and private key in a .p12 or .pfx file, and you may wish to import it into ThunderBird and/or SeaMonkey. Once you have set a Master Password, you can import/install your personal S/MIME certificate from a .p12 or .pfx file by doing the following steps.

Open the Certificate Manager:
In Thunderbird 1.5, go to "Tools -> Options... -> Privacy -> Security -> View Certificates".
In Thunderbird 2, go to "Tools -> Options... -> Advanced -> Certificates -> Manage Certificates...".
In Seamonkey, go to "Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Certificates -> Manage Certificates...".
Go to the tab named "Your Certificates".
Click on "Import".
Select the PCKS12 certificate file (.pfx or .p12).
It will ask you for the master password for the software security device. Enter your master password and click "OK".
Next, it will ask you for the password protecting your personal certificate. If your .p12 or .pfx file has a password, enter it here, otherwise leave this field empty. Then click "OK".

You should have now imported your S/MIME certificate. If your certificate was not trusted, look here.
Perhaps this is a problem. :eh: Maybe I did this wrong, I'll check it out further.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-09-07, 22:10

Okay I removed the certificates I had for Avast and instead of doing an "Import" of the Avast certificate I did the following (which I had tried before but didn't help btw):
Get Certificate never does anything.png
When I got this message from FossaMail I clicked on "Get Certificate", as before it doesn't outwardly seem to do anything then since the only other options after clicking that button is to either click "Confirm Security Exception" or "Cancel" I clicked the former and I end up with the below Avast certificate (similar to what I've been getting on previous attempts to add an account):
Certificate info ends up the same as before.png
all of which after doing this I have the same password invalid problem attempting to add accounts (this occurs with other email providers as well).

What I had done previously is take the exported Avast Certificate off of Avast and Imported that file into Avast using this window (clicking Import) locating exported file to be imported which appears to me to do the same thing I have now that still fails to work due to the password invalid issue:
Import tried previously.png

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-09-07, 22:18

So what is causing this "Add Security Exception" window to pop-up when adding accounts? I did not have this problem with any accounts on other computers (albeit w/out Avast). And it appears that an "invalid password" issue remains regardless of what I do. I don't see how disabling Avast to add an account in the hope to avoid this "Add Security Exception" window will work if in fact I end up for security reasons enabling Avast later (which is something I have not tried). I have tried adding accounts after I imported the certificate however and this does not avoid the "invalid password" issue when attempting to add new accounts to FossaMail.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-09-08, 00:30

You know, I have had this "password invalid" issue with Thunderbird before with a customers computer.

He was using Yahoo Mail, and even without Avast, and no matter how many times we reset the password through Yahoo

and even tried a new account on Thunderbird we never could get it to take. Same exact error.

And it was the same thing, we could log on with the web based email, but Thunderbird would not accept the password.

So we finally opened a Gmail account and it went right through. :crazy: I'm not sure this is a Avast issue,

but then I never enabled the mail scanners when I installed it back then. :think:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-09-08, 07:55

Thehandyman1957, with what you have posted it reinforced my growing suspicion that it was NOT Avast that is causing the problem.

So I installed Postbox Express and found out I was able to add all of my accounts I was using in MS Outlook 2010, including the accounts that I was unable to add to FossaMail (which also included Yahoo accounts that you referenced). Basically I was unable to add any accounts in FossaMail actually due to the problems I've discussed.

I also found out that Avast displays a different Invalid Certificate interface because I decided to try and add my Excite account using PostBox Express which I haven't been able to even add into MS Outlook and I got a different Invalid Certificate interface than what I was getting in when adding accounts to FossaMail..

So my conclusion is the Invalid Certificate GUI's I've been encountering using FossaMail are derived from FossaMail as opposed to being generated by Avast so the Invalid Certificates apparently have nothing at all to do with Avast. :think:

So my additional conclusion is that the problem is a FossaMail issue based on what I've now found out that PostBox Express has no problem adding all accounts and I've found out that Postbox Express uses a Mozilla Gecko platform (which I'm not surprised as Postbox Express has a similar feel as FossaMail).

I have a question for you Thehandyman1957, was the OS Windows 7 that you were having your problems with FossaMail? I ask because I'm using Windows7 and I was not having these same problems with FossaMail on Windows 10. I had assumed before that because my Windows10 does not have Avast but my Windows7 does that is was Avast causing the problem, but now I'm thinking the problem with FossaMail is something else, possibly OS related.

I'm using all the Avast email protection by the way and as I stated no problems adding any accounts. It does take up to 20 seconds to check passwords, but I do not have the same password invalid results using Postbox Express as I do with FossaMail on my Windows7.

If I don't get any more replies to address this FossaMail problem - I'll probably just uninstall FossaMail and go with Postbox Express or perhaps some other Email Client. Postbox Express works good, but there's no support to speak of since it's an obsolete version, but that said at least it works on my Windows7 machine in contrast to FossaMail so I'll stick with Postbox Express for now as a replacement for the recent flakiness I've been experiencing using MS Outlook 2010 which I can't seem to resolve.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-09-08, 09:03

Addendum to last post: I've found that I get the same problem with one account, that being the Rocketmail domain (which is as we know an alternate domain name that Yahoo uses which btw has not been accepting any new users for some time now). I continue to get the same "invalid password" error.

So whatever is causing the problem with this domain is the perhaps the same problem that seems to impact all accounts I've attempted to add to FossaMail.

Hopefully this might help figure out the problem. :idea:

Oh btw, I do have "less secure apps" enabled on the account so this would presumably not be contributing to the inability to add this specific account.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-09-08, 20:19

No, it was a XP Pro machine. But don't count that as the final answer. As a local computer tech I worked on many W7 machines and I'm sure
that this was not an isolated problem with just one operating system. Your issue with rocketmail is an interesting one indeed.
It is sad that there isn't any support for it. It would make it easier to figure out. Yahoo has always been problematic for many
of the folk I helped in the past.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-09-08, 22:43

Thehandyman1957 wrote:No, it was a XP Pro machine. But don't count that as the final answer. As a local computer tech I worked on many W7 machines and I'm sure
that this was not an isolated problem with just one operating system. Your issue with rocketmail is an interesting one indeed.
It is sad that there isn't any support for it. It would make it easier to figure out. Yahoo has always been problematic for many
of the folk I helped in the past.
I should have mentioned that I was able to add all my other Yahoo accounts, that is with the "Yahoo" domain name. It was only the "Rocketmail" domain that gave me the problem.

Besides the "Yahoo" domain name, yahoo mail also has (probably among others) the "Rocketmail" and "Ymail" domains. Yahoo does not allow news users to get these domains but they do support the "Rocketmail" and "Ymail" domains of the past. Because Yahoo supports these two domains, I'm not sure why I'm having the problems with just this one "Rocketmail" domain of theirs.

Other than this one "Rocketmail" domain I was able to add all of my other domains; Fastmail (using "Mailcan"), FVEmail (using mostly "Clovermail"), Hotmail, Outlook, Yahoo, openmailbox, Juno, mail.com (using "email") which all added successfully and are all working okay as far as I can tell. I did have to allow an exception for a number of Security Certificates along the way but they all added just fine in Postbox Express in the end.

I have to say I like Postbox Express, but it is the lack of support that not a very good thing. Postbox Express was upgraded to the paid version Postbox and they stopped supporting the free version but it's still available to users it they want it. Postbox Express is very responsive and very easy to work with including adding accounts as well as changing protocols.

I've just today tried "The Claws" email Client, but it's a bit difficult to work with (far more difficult than Postbox Express). If you know of a good reliable Email Client let me know. I really do miss all the bells and whistles I've gotten used to with MS Outlook 2010, but it's become unreliable and I'm unable to repair it and can't re-install because I found that my laptop drive is no longer working.

Thanks for the feedback. ;) :thumbup:

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-09-09, 00:16

Pale Moon Rising wrote:If you know of a good reliable Email Client let me know.
Oh how I wish I could. I still use Thunderbird 12.0.1 as I like the simplicity but customizing it has.

But it is very sluggish and sometimes drives me crazy. :crazy: I have tried many free email

programs but so far have always fallen back to the trusty Thunderbird. I tried the newer

version, but it was soooo bloated with stuff I don't use that it had to go.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-09-09, 17:22

Thehandyman1957 wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:If you know of a good reliable Email Client let me know.
Oh how I wish I could. I still use Thunderbird 12.0.1 as I like the simplicity but customizing it has.

But it is very sluggish and sometimes drives me crazy. :crazy: I have tried many free email

programs but so far have always fallen back to the trusty Thunderbird. I tried the newer

version, but it was soooo bloated with stuff I don't use that it had to go.
Off-topic:
Okay, I've been trying out Postbox Express and once the kinks get worked out as far as account protocols I have to say I'm very impressed, especially as far free Email Clients go.

For a final test I tried a parallel test involving messages sent between my Outlook 2010 (that's become unreliable regarding incoming in a timely manner) and Postbox Express.

What I did was send a relatively elaborate message using both Outlook 2010 and Postbox Express that involved various imbedded images, different font coloring and sizes including editing of text involving underlining, italics etc and I found that both messages matched exactly in the target account.

So I'm comfortable changing from Outlook 2010 to Postbox Express as my default Email Client at this point. It may not be for those not that familiar with email, but anyone that knows something about setting up email accounts I'd say Postbox Express does a really fantastic job. Btw, Postbox Express does a very exhaustive attempt at doing an auto-setup of accounts and did it very quickly (some may need adjustments however but that's not a major problem). I find Postbox Express very quick, intuitively easy to use and stable so far and what I like most is that it has many of the same bells and whistles that I'm used to with Outlook 2010 (not all of course but really all I would generally need).

You might consider trying it out as a backup to your Thunderbird. I would have kept FossaMail, but it isn't able to setup accounts for whatever reason on this machine due to the password issue. Postbox Express prompted me for the passwords after each account setup and as long as I saved them I had no lingering issue regarding passwords with the exception of that one Rocketmail account for some reason. You will get Certificate prompts at times after setting up an account, but that is resolved once and for all by responding to the prompts.

I was also thinking you might be interested in looking into POP Peeper (there's a free version of PP, but I think the Plus Pack is worth buying for what you get, when I bought it the cost was only $10.00. Btw, there are a couple of 15 year anniversary sales going on now this month). It's by no means a replacement for a full blown Email Client that has a lot of options like Thunderbird (or MS Outlook or Postbox Express for that matter or FossaMail as well if it works) of course, but for notifying of new mail there is no match to POP Peeper as far as all the various options available to notify of mail arriving and you can also read and send mail as well. POP Peeper has a exceptionally extensive options as far as checking for new mail that I don't think can be matched. I use POP Peeper as my audio alert for all new messages of which I'm informed via voice that I've got "new mail" and who the sender and what the subject is for each and every email that arrives (which can all be adjusted in many ways either globally or via each individual account). And POP Peeper is as good as it gets setting up accounts as well. Just thought I'd mention this in case you'd be interested. ;)

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-09-10, 03:05

I took a look at all those you mentioned. My biggest problem is that I am a eye candy kinda guy
when it comes down to it. :roll: And it kinda keeps me from using some other stuff because I have gotten
soooo spoiled with what I have, that I will put up with the other stuff because of it. :crazy:

I guess what I'm tying to say is I like how my Thunderbird looks and because I have big issues with contrast colors
and such, it makes it hard to use other programs even if they work better. I did take a look at Postbox Express and
they do have some stuff, but it's all just icons and light stuff. Nothing heavy like some of the themes I use.

Heck, even this forum is hard on my eyes, and I use the dark theme. But the colors are so contrasted that I have to use
an add on called "Color That Site" just to adjust the colors so they are dark but not so contrasted.
I soften the whites and blacks as you can see here.
Color Changes
Color Changes
Compared to the stark white on black here.
Regular Colors
Regular Colors
So that's my dilemma. Well in the end it's ok, I only have one email account and for the most part Thunderbird is fine. Thanks for you tips though. :thumbup:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-09-10, 03:14

Thehandyman1957 wrote: So that's my dilemma. Well in the end it's ok, I only have one email account and for the most part Thunderbird is fine. Thanks for you tips though. :thumbup:
Wow, one email account! Okay I see your point. We've got 44 email accounts here, which is why POP Peeper is so helpful by alerting us to all the various incoming messages corresponding to each account.