Unread post by jfg001 » 2016-08-21, 15:37

you can change the location of profile?
portable Fossamail

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: The default profile location is %APPDATA%\FossaMail

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-21, 22:36

You can use the -profile command-line parameter to specify a profile folder.
See also: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Command_line_ ... derbird%29
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ocular

Unread post by ocular » 2016-09-13, 11:58

And is there a way to choose the default location of the profile on installation of fossamail in Windows 7? I have looked at custom install but nothing about where profile is installed.
I want all the users to have the same fossamail profile. But at the moment the profile is put in username/Appdata/Roaming/Fossamail as each user is created on first login and startup with fossamail.
One workaround is to put the required profile in Default/Appdata/Roaming/Fossamail and I think this will allow the creation of the username/Appdata/Fossamail with the same profile as in Default when the user first logs on before starting fossamail for the first time. Haven't tried this.
Another workaround may be to change the common desktop and Startup fossamail shortcut to have a command line to a common profile pathway that all users have permissions to.
Thanks for a great program.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-09-13, 12:01

ocular wrote:And is there a way to choose the default location of the profile on installation of fossamail in Windows 7?
Not on installation, no.
The application is designed with one or more profiles per user, not the other way around.

Your viable option is to specify a specific profile folder on the command-line, as you've already noted.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ocular

Unread post by ocular » 2016-09-13, 12:53

I understand the reasons for the normal protocol of setting up a specific profile per user.
Thanks for that quick reply.
Just tried it by after installing fossamail with the required profile set up, copied the contents of username/Appdata/Roaming/Fossamail folder, made a Fossamail folder in the Default/AppData/Roaming folder and put the profile here. Then when a new user logs into windows 7 "preparing the desktop" automatically copies the profile over to the username/Appdata/Roaming/Fossamail folder so when the new user starts up fossamail for the first time the profile is set. Don't have a great understanding of how windows works precisely, wonder if changing the profile in Default/Appdata/Roaming/Fossamail will update all users fossamail profiles or just new users??

flaxthejute
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by flaxthejute » 2016-09-13, 15:16

ocular wrote:I understand the reasons for the normal protocol of setting up a specific profile per user.
Thanks for that quick reply.
Just tried it by after installing fossamail with the required profile set up, copied the contents of username/Appdata/Roaming/Fossamail folder, made a Fossamail folder in the Default/AppData/Roaming folder and put the profile here. Then when a new user logs into windows 7 "preparing the desktop" automatically copies the profile over to the username/Appdata/Roaming/Fossamail folder so when the new user starts up fossamail for the first time the profile is set. Don't have a great understanding of how windows works precisely, wonder if changing the profile in Default/Appdata/Roaming/Fossamail will update all users fossamail profiles or just new users??
Obviously, I don't know what you're trying to achieve, but the profile holds things like which mail has been read and which hasn't etc which might vary between users. What I do is to point Fossamail at a profile folder in my network home drive, that way it's only my stuff (reading history etc) that I'm seeing.

ocular

Unread post by ocular » 2016-09-13, 22:37

Here is a good summary of the issue of multiple users and profiles
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Sharing_profiles_-_mail
but the profile holds things like which mail has been read and which hasn't etc which might vary between users.
will the IMAP server keep this consistent at least for the online folders between users using the same profile that is in different locations?

Don90630

Unread post by Don90630 » 2016-11-28, 22:45

Using the option "Modify profiles.ini to point to the new location" in the mozillaZine article entitled "Moving you profile folder - Thunderbird", I was successful in moving my Profile from the default location to an encrypted partition on my local drive. (I dismount the encrypted partition when away from my office for extra security.)

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_p ... hunderbird