Tray notification Topic is solved

Support topics for the mail/news/chat client
Lebowsky
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Tray notification

Unread post by Lebowsky » 2016-08-04, 16:24

Hi! New user here.

I have been using an old version of Thunderbird 2.0.something forever on my main computer, just got a new laptop for work, and decided to try FossaMail on it.

On the Thunderbird computer, I use TB-Tray to minimize to try, and whether TB-Tray runs or not, when I receive a new mail, I get both a "balloon" notification (white rectangle) for a few seconds, and then an envelope icon in the tray. Account is POP3.

On the FossaMail computer, I also installed and configured TB-Tray properly. But, whether TB-Tray runs or not, I don't get any notification when new mail arrives. Notifications ARE configured the same way. And they are NOT hidden by Windows taskbar notification. They just aren't there. What am I missing? (Account is IMAP)

Here's my FossaMail notification configuration:
fm1.JPG
fm2.JPG
fm2.JPG (24.39 KiB) Viewed 1460 times

Lebowsky
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: Tray notification

Unread post by Lebowsky » 2016-08-05, 10:00

I tried using "show tray icon" only and not the notification, the icon is still not showing up.

One thing that might change maybe, FossaMail is the 64bit version, while Thunderbird is 32bit..?

Lebowsky
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Lebowsky » 2016-08-12, 14:31

Problem solved! Apparently related to using imap, notifications work now after disabling condstore as suggested here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/991323

copying it here in case above link ceases to work at some point...:
Is the account configured as an IMAP account? If yes, it is using a feature called "condstore" which is supposed to better coordinate activities when the account is accessed from multiple locations. It is known to be buggy though on Thunderbird's side and may miss incoming mails in this way.

The workaround is to disable that feature:

On Windows, enter the Options window from either the ≡ application button or the Tools menu;
Go into the Advanced tab and find the "Config Editor" in its General tab;
Enter condstore into the search bar on top of the about:config window;
Double-click on all mail.server.something.use_condstore entries to toggle them to "false" (as a minimum, this should be the "default" entry;
restart Thunderbird and see if it fixes the problem.
Maybe FossaMail can fix the known problems with condstore? ;)

Anyway, I'm happy.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-12, 16:33

Thanks - I'll change the default to false in FossaMail if it actually has a buggy implementation for commonly-used servers.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite