Spanish translation

The l10n of Pale Moon. Rawr.
pixel

Spanish translation

Unread post by pixel » 2015-09-21, 08:00

Currently there are a couple of different Spanish translations, most of them incomplete (like es-ES) and some of them complete (es-AR).

When es-ES is incomplete, it seems that pale moon uses the default strings in English (en-US) but I think that, as we already have a translation complete in Spanish (es-AR), it would be amazing to be able to use es-AR instead of en-US in the strings not translated in es-ES.

In that way, all the Spanish translations would be "half completed", but es-AR that would be "completed".

KNTRO

Re: Spanish translation

Unread post by KNTRO » 2015-09-22, 10:10

Hi pixel,

Welcome to the forum. :thumbup:

I'm the localizer of the es-AR locale of Pale Moon.

I really support your idea, because there are no critical differences between current es-AR & es-ES locales, since they're both formal and based on the current Firefox's same locales. However, that's gonna change with the next Pale Moon major release, since I have literally re-localized the es-AR locale at Transifex, almost from scratch, to make it informal/familiar, and yep, differences between es-AR & es-ES will be HUGE.

So, your idea of replacing English language strings in the es-ES locale by the ones used in the es-AR is fine and should be done right now, because everything will change in any next major release that use strings based on those at Transifex.

¡Saludos!

pixel

Unread post by pixel » 2015-10-08, 13:56

Anyway, it will always be easier for a Spanish to read something in es-AR than in en-US. For example es-ES appeared as "incomplete" when it's "almost complete" (because there was a couple of strings which weren't translated but they were translated in es-AR)

In fact, I've completed the es-ES translation by "copying" some of your strings into es-ES because I didn't notice the difference. Specially the ones about errors which are complex and you have used formal vocabulary.

¡Un saludo!

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2015-10-08, 14:06

Hi pixel!
pixel wrote:es-ES appeared as "incomplete" when it's "almost complete" (because there was a couple of strings which weren't translated)
Exactly! It's just a few incomplete strings in es-ES. Just a few.
pixel wrote:In fact, I've completed the es-ES translation by "copying" some of your strings into es-ES because I didn't notice the difference. Specially the ones about errors which are complex and you have used formal vocabulary.
Sure! Please, feel free to copy all the strings you want from es-AR to es-ES, and also feel free to modify those copied strings in the es-ES locale, if needed. :thumbup:

¡Saludos desde América! ;)

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2015-10-09, 04:37

I am glad that you guy never mentioned the es_MX translation, since is the one at my charge and I hope is the complete one. I work hard on that. XD

Feel free to open it and localize to your country if you find is easier than start from zero. :mrgreen:

pixel

Unread post by pixel » 2015-11-03, 21:42

What I meant is if was possible to use es-AR as a base and let people enjoy es-ES incompleted. The strings that haven't been translated doesn't appear often, so what I have tried to say is if it was posible to release in order to people enjoy a complete Spanish language but incomplete localization in Spanish-Spain using 90% es-ES and 10% es-AR.

I know it has been some time, sorry for the delay :oops:

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2015-11-04, 04:04

pixel wrote:using 90% es-ES and 10% es-AR
Hi pixel,

Hmph… :think: I think it depends of what strings are you talking about. Because in the es-AR locale you're gonna find terms like vos, computadora, querés, etc, and not usted, ordenador, quiere. If you mix both locales you could get an inconsistent, ugly translation. :wtf:

Messages about errors are quite neutral, so that means no extra work behind copying & pasting. Then, you have to be careful about all other 6,377 strings [Pale Moon 26 has 7,085 strings currently].

Best.

pixel

Unread post by pixel » 2015-11-04, 08:38

KNTRO wrote:
pixel wrote:using 90% es-ES and 10% es-AR
Hi pixel,

Hmph… :think: I think it depends of what strings are you talking about. Because in the es-AR locale you're gonna find terms like vos, computadora, querés, etc, and not usted, ordenador, quiere. If you mix both locales you could get an inconsistent, ugly translation. :wtf:

Messages about errors are quite neutral, so that means no extra work behind copying & pasting. Then, you have to be careful about all other 6,377 strings [Pale Moon 26 has 7,085 strings currently].

Best.
I know, but I'm not speaking about that xD It's been hard explain it in English.

What I mean is that for those languages as es-ES and the other "es" uncompleted, it could be released as "incompleted" if palemoon (or the extension) would be able to pick up as base-language any other "es" language. In that way, if a non-English spaniard use es-ES and he gets a weird error it would be still in Spanish (although in es-AR) which is understood by him instead of en-US which is completely different.

But I don't know if that can be done. To put another example, Is like if you have to pick between a 60% en-GB 40% Japanesse or 100% en-US; you would prefer to have 60% en-GB and 40% en-US while the en-GB is being completed.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2015-11-05, 07:00

You would have to replace the integrated en-US language to es-AR as the default language that PM is deployed, and then install the incomplete language pack of es-ES.

This likely has to be done on the build process.

pixel

Unread post by pixel » 2015-11-05, 08:20

jumba wrote:You would have to replace the integrated en-US language to es-AR as the default language that PM is deployed, and then install the incomplete language pack of es-ES.

This likely has to be done on the build process.
Ok, so I guess is too dificult for the "average user" (even for me xD). Anyway it was just an idea, so that PM appears to be translated in more languages to try to encourage people to finish all the translations

complutense
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by complutense » 2016-06-12, 23:16

Hi
I just found out about Pale Moon, and donwloaded and installed it (x64 version). I also downloaded the es-ES.xpi

I have added a few translations (es-ES) for strings that were obvious in the interface and still in English; I am attaching the file.

These are the files I have modified:

browser\chrome\es-ES\locale\browser\
palemoon.dtd
places.properties
security.dtd

chrome\es-ES\locale\es-ES\autoconfig\
autoconfig.properties

install.rdf

I installed the xpi into my copy of PM and it works fine.
Attachments
es-ES_2016-06-12.xpi
update of Spanish es-ES for Pale Moon 26.2.2
(340.64 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

complutense
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by complutense » 2016-06-20, 19:09

I have updated the Spanish es-ES translation.
I've gone through every file and I believe everything is now translated.
Attachments
es-ES_2016-06-20.xpi
update of Spanish es-ES localization for PaleMoon version 26.2.2
(340.92 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-22, 15:36

Please pay attention to this topic: Pale Moon 27 localization.

allenwood

Unread post by allenwood » 2017-02-14, 11:13

pixel wrote:Currently there are a couple of different Spanish translations, most of them incomplete (like es-ES) and some of them complete (es-AR).

When es-ES is incomplete, it seems that pale moon uses the default strings in English (en-US) but I think that, as we already have a translation complete in Spanish (es-AR), it would be amazing to be able to use es-AR instead of en-US in the strings not translated in es-ES.

In that way, all the Spanish translations would be "half completed", but es-AR that would be "completed".
Hey Pixel,
Do you need to translate your Spanish documents or something else?