Transifex for Pale Moon core strings

The l10n of Pale Moon. Rawr.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Transifex for Pale Moon core strings

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-06-30, 08:41

I've set up a project in Transifex for Pale Moon core strings of the active languages (30 in total):

https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/pale-moon/

I'm still brand new to their system and not sure what all is involved getting translators to join, but if people could have a poke at it and give me feedback, that would be great.
It will allow downloading of the files for off-line translation, or you can translate in their web translation interface.
Due to their setup, I've had to combine all translation files by type into single large files, which have ##@@ and @@## markers in them to separate individual files. If you translate off-line then PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH THESE MARKERS because it will break being able to split the translation back up into individual files.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

KNTRO

Re: Transifex for Pale Moon core strings

Unread post by KNTRO » 2015-07-01, 09:24

Hi Moonchild,

I just requested to join the es_AR language. I can manage it too, if you wish.

In the meantime, please, check this out and this too — Some strings still keeps the Firefox term instead of &brandShortName;. I've already told you about it some time ago, but, well… got no reply. :(

Best!

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-07-02, 21:47

Will check it Sunday or if i have no time, next week.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-07-03, 08:40

KNTRO...
I think I already explained that until I have a full setup where I can have translation of the entire language pack, that those kinds of hard-coded Firefox strings are going to be difficult to localize.

The source language needs some work in that respect, but files are all over the place in the source tree so it will take time finding the instances and changing them.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2015-07-03, 08:50

So, what do you suggest? Start localizing now those strings anyway and manually replace Firefox by Pale Moon? Or wait until the source language pack is totally finished and reviewed?

Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-07-03, 17:53

I won't be using the Transifex ones until Pale Moon 26, but it will take some time to proofread 30k words. So, if you are eager, you can start translating and replace on-the-fly, since the end result will likely be the same anyway ;)

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-07-10, 16:38

I'm confused. So we better wait using this service until PM 26 is out?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-07-10, 16:59

dark_moon wrote:I'm confused. So we better wait using this service until PM 26 is out?
Not necessarily, but I'm still trying to work out with the service operators how best to do this. These large combined files is difficult because translators will have no context. Separate files as in the language packs is preferable, but I've yet to figure out a way to get their command-line client to behave so i can submit all files automated -- doing that through the web interface for 250+ files per language, for 90 languages total, is not feasible.

When 26 is 'out' will be too late, because i'll want to have proper translations if at all possible at that time... but for the current releases of 25.* the main localization is still the piecemeal way we've been doing it until now at babelzilla.

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2015-07-24, 04:22

OK, it's done for me. :D

es-AR locale's almost 100% localized and almost 100% reviewed‼
  • Pending strings at core.dtd: I don't know what Focus chats is, and the other strings is related to Firefox for Android, so I don't know what to do with that string.
  • Pending string at core.properties: Original string is different for current string in Pale Moon. Both services [Google Fusion & My Yahoo!] are dead, I think. Don't know what to do here either.
Oh, and there's one funny string I've found! :lol: Of course, I replaced floppy disk by unidad flash [flash drive]. It's a clearly deprecated string, probably it's legacy content from the Netscape era.

So, the es-AR locale for Pale Moon 25.6 is 99.99999998% done! :lol: At most I may need to add a semicolon here and a comma there, but for the rest of details this locale is done. So, when you have a Pale Moon 25.6 beta with the es-AR language ready… ya know what 2 do… ;)

Best regards!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-07-24, 08:50

Awesome!
I'll have a closer look at it when I have time, and merge the reviewed strings in with the current language pack setup.
The only problem is that I still need to write the tool to split the monolithic files back out ;)

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2015-07-24, 08:54

No problem. Take the time you need, whatever it is. As you say often: this will be ready when it be ready. ;)

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-09-10, 18:53

I join the german translation "team".
It looks you need to verify this first, before i can start.

Here a screen:
transifex.png

tmtisfree

Unread post by tmtisfree » 2015-09-20, 07:51

Hi,

I have completed the remaining string's translation for the French language on Transifex (core and core.properties).

I plan to review in the future what has been done before, once v26 is released (though I suspect most strings are ok).

Bye,
TMTisFree

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-09-20, 08:00

Hm.

Apparently I didn't get any notification from their system at all about activity. I'll have to check the localizations and such when I have a free moment. Apologies if you've submitted translations or asked for addition to the team without response!

tmtisfree

Unread post by tmtisfree » 2015-09-20, 16:13

Hi,

Strange, I requested permission to join the Pale Moon team in June, and have been accepted by notification in June, 29.

Anyway no problem, I asked for no new strings and translations I submitted were all accepted.

Cheers,
TMTisFree

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-09-21, 19:43

German: 100% (0 strings to translate) :)

tmtisfree

Unread post by tmtisfree » 2015-10-09, 15:18

Hello,

As I have now reviewed almost all strings of the v25.7 French language, I tried to test it with PM v26 beta 2 which,
apart from some hiccups I have manually (and temporarily) corrected for the time being (e.g. there is a new search-save
feature in the Favorites/History window with new strings = XML errors), appears good to me so far.

Now what I would like is to import all changes from my soon final review of v25.7 into the current Transifex setup to avoid doing
duplicate and tedious work, while retaining the new strings already translated there, if this is possible (not currently possible
from my Transifex side anyway)?

While I expect not many changes from the one I posted at viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9764 recently,
I will submit the final, completely reviewed fr_v25.7.xpi file soon there.

Somewhat related: what is the policy here regarding the many no-more-updated-by-their-original-author-but-still-working-with-PM add-ons
which I have translated in French and somehow corrected/adapted specifically to Pale Moon (v25 and v26)? I would like to share the work
with the community but I am not sure how to do it best.

Cheers,
TMTisFree

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-01-02, 11:27

After the Goanna update i finish the new german strings. :)
Transifex_Goanna_German Translation.png

tmtisfree

Unread post by tmtisfree » 2016-01-02, 12:49

Hi,
Moonchild wrote:Hm.

Apparently I didn't get any notification from their system at all about activity. I'll have to check the localizations and such when I have a free moment. Apologies if you've submitted translations or asked for addition to the team without response!
Have the old French strings from Transifex been updated with the strings used for Pale Moon v25?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-02, 14:25

I think I did but to be certain I'm refreshing the strings now from the latest langpack.