Localization server help needed

The l10n of Pale Moon. Rawr.
squarefractal

Re: Localization server help needed

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-03-25, 04:30

Pumping files back and forth between a VM and a host is also a PITA
Come on, typing "sudo mount -t vboxsf sharedname /mnt/shared" is not a PITA (assuming Virtualbox), whichever way you look at it.
Hence the request for help, save having to write something from scratch because I know *nix-alike scripts are better at juggling mass file processing.
On Windows, there is no such clear advantage since process spawning is extremely slow and I have seen scripts that complete their job in minutes under *nix take an hour on Windows.
the current MinGW on SF, uses a bash shell that does not do what you tried either.
EDIT: Needs more work. cding into the dir makes the copy fail because you're no longer in the same directory level. I'll fix it.
EDIT2: making sure to generate a proper call script with top-level paths
Can I get more details so I may fix the script (i.e. with an example of the invocation)? Because here it works with invocations like "../../tree2flat.sh . ../flat".
Also, are even pipes not working on the MinGW shell?

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2015-03-25, 11:04

Moonchild wrote:Using a Linux VM is simply not something I can fit into my daily routine beyond using it as a build slave. Pumping files back and forth between a VM and a host
I confess I never tried a config with a "real" Windows system hosting a "virtual" Linux. I have the other way round (real Linux hosting virtual Windows XP) and (with VirtualBox) I see the Linux disks as Windows drives without any effort(no need even to install SAMBA which is something I did in a far past). My main use of the XP VM is to run an utility for visual diff of PDF files (which I haven't found for Linux).
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-23, 08:15

Looks like I'm still at square one. :/

OneSky, despite all the attempts at getting it to work simply doesn't accept the files, doesn't like to work with files in folders, doesn't work well with the converted PO files and doesn't support the formats natively. Even going through all the effort converting and renaming files, it's bust, and their support department is NOT responsive. So, scratch that.

I'll have to give bitnami pootle another go, maybe I'll have more luck if I install it on a different OS.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-04-23, 15:02

What's the problem with a normal git repo that a contributors can clone, commit changes and create a PR?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-23, 16:05

squarefractal wrote:What's the problem with a normal git repo that a contributors can clone, commit changes and create a PR?
The problem is that there will be no easy way to see if strings have been added, which translations are incomplete and which aren't, no easy side-by-side comparison of strings (unless you open 2 documents side by side to translate...), etc.

The repo is already available: https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/pale-moon-localization

But as you can imagine, it needs some sort of management interface to keep overview.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-23, 16:09

I've managed to get the pootle VM up and running -- but running into the next brick wall: there is no actual documentation provided by translatehouse for the administration/project management side of things -- I have no clue how to:
  • Set up the initial language as a template to be used for other languages
  • Import existing translations
If anyone is familiar with this software, please help. Translatehouse's documentation is a few paragraphs just outlining what it does, has no howtos or examples, and doesn't even touch on importing existing translations into it. Thankfully it is smart enough to automatically parse a language pack when uploaded, but I'm running aground for anything else to properly set it up.

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-04-23, 16:41

While I have not used Pootle at all, have you looked at this?
* "Import existing translations" : http://docs.translatehouse.org/projects ... fline.html

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-23, 18:03

Yes I did, and it didn't help - it's for importing files that were translated off-line (exported from Pootle, translated, then uploaded again to Pootle, as opposed to translating on-line), not for setting up a project, unless I completely missed something.

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2015-04-24, 05:10

Have you gave oTranCe a chance, MC?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-24, 09:17

KNTRO wrote:Have you gave oTranCe a chance, MC?
I had a look at it just now; it doesn't seem to be suited for Pale Moon (no import options for the used file formats, no support for many files).

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-05-02, 12:32

Moonchild wrote:But as you can imagine, it needs some sort of management interface to keep overview.
Transifex apparently can work with git repos.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-05-03, 09:42

squarefractal wrote:Transifex apparently can work with git repos.
It can't, but it integrates with GitHub accounts.

They were one of the first ones I looked at, in fact, but at $99/month for 50k hosted words (assuming they only count source words) it was an immediate no-go.
A second look revealed they do offer free services for Open Source projects, AND they apparently natively support Mozilla file formats (although only one file at a time), so it warrants a closer look.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-05-19, 21:25

I think I've found an acceptable compromise for Transifex now. It will still take time to se it all up but at least the number of files to work with will be vastly reduced which suits their system better.

damjang
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by damjang » 2015-06-12, 12:18

Sorry if I ask here, but searching for slovenian language (complete). In babelzilla I see both translations done, but under the language pack download page slovenian is not complete. Is there something that I can do? Or must wait that you finish the transifex setup?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-06-12, 12:54

damjang wrote:Sorry if I ask here, but searching for slovenian language (complete). In babelzilla I see both translations done, but under the language pack download page slovenian is not complete. Is there something that I can do? Or must wait that you finish the transifex setup?
I've updated the page and the db now. sorry about that!

damjang
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by damjang » 2015-06-12, 20:19

Thank you very much!

D.

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-01-16, 02:14

I don't know if TinyTM can be useful for Pale Moon localizations. I mention it here just in case.

More resources, here.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-17, 00:44

TinyTM is dead. It's had no updates since 2008.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-01-17, 01:40

Quick question, will there still be a delay for Pale Moon v26.0.0 since the localizations aren't panning out so well?
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2016-01-17, 05:21

Okay I know is not on topic but I don't find a proper place for post this:

What is the status of the translations that you could save?

We can fix manually our translations if they need changes for v26 (in my case the es_MX of course)?

Feel free to move this post to a proper thread. Thanks Moonchild!