strangeness with PM update 29-31.1-31.4 and IT language pack

The l10n of Pale Moon. Rawr.
Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

strangeness with PM update 29-31.1-31.4 and IT language pack

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2022-12-10, 19:57

Today I was at a friend's which I have convinced since a long time to use Pale Moon, but needs the italian language pack. Also he runs Windows (I am a Linux user and do not use any language pack). The screen displayed the prompt pop-up for a Pale Moon update, we intended to defer it but somehow the wrong button was hit and the update started (without any opportunity of profile backup which I was going to suggest him). After which it said "IT language pack could not be installed because it is not compatible with Pale Moon x.y.z".
I tried a manual download of the language pack, some fiddlling with about:config per https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/pm-langpack-it/, removing the old disabled language pack, with no avail. Only then, looking at the update log I realized that ...
  • his original version was a 29.something (last update in February 29.4.4 ?)
  • the upgrade offered today by the popup (and performed) was to 31.1.0 which is not the latest
  • the language pack version is 31.4.1
So I did a "check for updates", this triggered a further update to 31.4.1, after which I could install the language pack.

So everything solved, but I have a curiosity ... why was he offered an upgrade from 29 to 31.1.0 and not directly to 31.4.1 ? Was it a protection against some intermediate change ?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Potkeny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: strangeness with PM update 29-31.1-31.4 and IT language pack

Unread post by Potkeny » 2022-12-10, 20:16

Probably same as this? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28984

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: strangeness with PM update 29-31.1-31.4 and IT language pack

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-10, 20:34

Yes, same thing. see other thread for explanation.

Duplicate, locking.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite