problems with crowdin

The l10n of Pale Moon. Rawr.
Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

problems with crowdin

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2022-01-21, 12:06

I received a couple of mails from crowdin saying there are new Pale Moon strings to translate, but the crowdin site seems to be functioning strangely ... with Pale Moon. Once I type on an item to be translated, I see it loaded in the screen, but there is somewhere a running spinner, then suddenly the entire page becomes blank.
I was able to translate a few clicking on Translate All, then the behaviour above started again.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: problems with crowdin

Unread post by loxodont » 2022-01-21, 12:24

Just wanted to post on this so I'll join.

Got the "new strings" message via mail, but when I open the German locale files on crowdin with "Translate" or "Proofread" most files magically auto-blank out completely after 1 second or after I hit the "Approval" button. (Happens in both PM 29.4.4-win-x32 and PM 29.1.1-win-x32)
I couldn't find any "Task" or notifications for German pre-translations uploaded by this "Wolfbeast" :), so is there actually anything to do (for me)?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-21, 14:49

I've had to remove and re-upload all strings to crowdin because of work being done on milestone 30 (more on that later).
I've pre-translated everything from TM on crowdin, and it's therefore possible there isn't much left to translate, but please do check for any untranslated strings you may see.
A quick check shows that 93% of German has been TM translated with 100% matches, so there should be some work to do.

If you are having functional problems with the interface, make sure to disable any content blocker on crowdin. It works fine for me that way (I have disabled ABL on that site to avoid issues)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2022-01-21, 15:27

OK thx, I had disabled uBo already on crowdin, but OK, I'll retry later.

greets

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2022-01-21, 20:53

I disabled ABL on crowdin.com but I get the same behaviour.
I opened the error console and got errors on Pure URL so I disabled it, but I still get the same behaviour.
Now I get some few errors in the error console but I do not know how to cut-and-paste them other then doing a screenshot (no mouse cut-and-paste)
The first message said something like "an unbalanced tree was written using document.write() causing data to be reparsed ....
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

damjang
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by damjang » 2022-01-21, 22:00

Same problem for me... disabled uBlock and PureURL but no change, always white page

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2022-01-21, 22:34

I still have seen a fewer "disappearing" blank pages, but it worked better for most files now.
Crowdin seems slower now compared to last translations. I didn't look up their latest "changes", but their loading bar seems to indicate a lot of load for some files. Permanently saving and updating the changes tends to sluggish active pages for me (and old computer).

A few times it helped on blanked pages to "Refresh" from PM menu - some stay open, some disappear again.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2022-01-22, 11:21

loxodont wrote:
2022-01-21, 22:34
A few times it helped on blanked pages to "Refresh" from PM menu - some stay open, some disappear again.
Not "a few times" but "almost all the times". Reloading pages actually helps to proceed to the new string. But sometimes one has to be very quick in selecting the translation (among those proposed, which are 99% of the time OK) and/or to press "Save" ... it looks like there is some sort of timeout.
Anyhow I've done some and will proceed later as far as possible.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-22, 12:28

I find it peculiar. I don't have an issue at all with the translation interface. It's a bit slow (as is everything these days regardless of which browser; might have something to do with my ageing hardware too) but otherwise I don't have issue with things going blank or what not, and I've gone through most of the stuff needed for Dutch myself.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2022-01-22, 12:47

In my case it is not slow ... it is too fast. There is this spinner running in the area where the selected string should go, and if one is not fast enough to press Save, one has to reload. If one has entered the wrong text, and is fast enough to click on the dustbin, that seems to stop it. It is quite painful, but one can proceed insofar the matter is to choose among the alternatives proposed. It is difficult instead to enter a completely new value. specially a long one.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2022-01-22, 12:51

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
2022-01-22, 11:21
But sometimes one has to be very quick in selecting the translation (among those proposed, which are 99% of the time OK) and/or to press "Save" ... it looks like there is some sort of timeout.
That timeout must be milliseconds then. It got worse again later, some strings, mostly those to "Translate" * disappeared immediately, I got reload "loops" and even "error" messages which after 1-2 seconds turned into reloads again. Some strings seem to be almost un-editable, so I moved them to "later". I even got thrown out 2 or 3 times and had to login again. Too much traffic perhaps?

I looked up (account) settings, but found nothing promising there. I read something about APi v1 and v2 there, so I got the (personal) impression they made a step to 'unify' "Translation" and "Proofread" areas a bit more and the load of internal refreshing the different changes has grown - and causes many spinning circles. Also the reloads show more "connections" to linkedin, facebook, etc. in the PM status bar, but that might be secondary in the total load.
I'll try with Linux today.

--
edit*: "Approving" worked good, so far, but strings to be translated caused problems.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2022-01-22, 13:07

Now the situation for Italian is that it shows Translated 100% (blue) but Approved (? green) at 90%.
"Translate all" enters a list with all entries with a little green square (no orange squares). I have never done the second stage, somebody else did (who ?).
Directions awaited.

damjang
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by damjang » 2022-01-22, 13:29

I tested with fresh newly created profile, login to crowdin, go to palemoon, choose slovenian, translate all and was ok for some (4-5 strings). Then white page come out and all the loop start again :x
So nothing better with new profile. I have win7 x64 and last palemoon x64... maybe win7 is the key here...

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2022-01-22, 18:55

damjang wrote:
2022-01-22, 13:29
... maybe win7 is the key here...
thx for the info, but I get the exact same issues in Linux Mint 20 with Pale Moon 29.4.4 x64. If a translation page loads and does not disappear, clicking on a proposed translation instantly blanks out the page. No clue what's goin on ...

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2022-01-22, 19:26

yes but ... if you click on a proposed translation and the page is blanked, you reload the page, position your mouse near to the Save button and click, and you can proceed. The difficult thing is if you have to edit the string, or type a new string. If it is short, you reload the page, position your mouse near to the dustbin icon on the left hand side and click it. This clears the input and gives some time to input a new short string.
This way I managed (painfully, with a lot of reload's) to accept all translations ... in a few cases I took the reasonably better among the alternatives even if the best would have been something else...

... now I am waiting for directions about the approval step

damjang
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by damjang » 2022-01-30, 16:17

Yes, but it is not usable for me. I have done all the missing slovenian translation ... but with Chrome :( :wtf:

José Labán
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by José Labán » 2022-01-31, 21:13

There is something weird. I translate and verify Spanish Mexico completely without an issue like the ones described in this topic, but now I tried to correct some words in Spanish and then the page is blanked, especifically with this one "permission.allowFirstPartyOnly" in aboutPermissions.dtd.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-31, 22:43

Don't block third party cookies.

José Labán
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by José Labán » 2022-02-02, 19:39

Moonchild wrote:
2022-01-31, 22:43
Don't block third party cookies.
I was talking about a line to translate in Crowdin. When I tried to edit the translation in Spanish of "permission.allowFirstPartyOnly" in aboutPermissions.dtd, which is "Allow First Party Only", the page just go blank, so I am unable to modify the translation. I just tried and I am also unable to modify the translation in Spanish, Argentina. But if I go there in Spanish, Mexico, the page works just fine.

Here are the links:
Spanish, Mexico: https://crowdin.com/translate/pale-moon ... tPartyOnly
Spanish: https://crowdin.com/translate/pale-moon ... tPartyOnly
Spanish, Argentina: https://crowdin.com/translate/pale-moon ... tPartyOnly

I tried some other languages but they all work fine, I only have trouble with Argetina and Spanish.

José Labán
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by José Labán » 2022-02-08, 07:55

I tried editing the problematic line in other explorer and noticed something, Crowdin gives a warning about an ortographic error in the text and it seems this warning is what makes the page go blank in Pale Moon. After reading the very first post in this thread I believe it's the same problem.

To those having issues, are you using words that may have changed spelling recently in your languages? The problem with Spanish is the word «sólo», which recently is recommended to be written as «solo». Pale Moon goes blank while trying to show the warning.