Pale Moon 27 localization

The l10n of Pale Moon. Rawr.
JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Pale Moon 27 localization

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-22, 15:08

This topic is dedicated to localization of Pale Moon 27, i.e. translation of browser interface from English to other languages.

To accomplish this task we use collaborative platform from CrowdIn, thanks to their generosity for providing free service to Open Source projects. Please read introduction for new translators and guide for online editor to understand how it works.

Pale Moon localization project is located at https://crowdin.com/project/pale-moon. It was initially prefilled with the data from language packs for Pale Moon 26, which cover about 75% of the required for Pale Moon 27.

As a contributor you can help in the following:
  • Suggest translations of untranslated strings
  • Suggest alternative (more suitable) translations of already translated strings(*)
  • Vote for or against the translated strings
(*) You should always vote in case you propose alternative translation, to distinguish which one is right.

Since Pale Moon was initially derived from the Mozilla codebase you can (or even should) use Firefox language packs (version 38 and the latest version) as a reference for translation. But don't forget to make appropriate changes in the brand names (see how it was already done in other languages).

When translation in specific language is reached 100% we need to verify all strings to finalize the work. To accomplish this task the translator need obtain special permission. You can volunteer for this job or recommend someone among the participants.

Do not forget to use advantage of collaboration, the communication with other project participants is a powerful feature to find the right answers and resolve issues. Feel free to ask any questions in comments and private messages on CrowdIn and here on forum.

The resulting language packs will be available on the official website.

New contributors are always welcomed!

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Re: Pale Moon 27 localization

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-22, 15:30

Current status of most completed translations:

Czech - 100% (verified 100%)
Italian - 100% (unverified)
Polish - 100% (unverified)
Russian - 100% (verified 100%)
Spanish, Argentina - 100% (verified 23%)
French - 98%
German - 98%
Spanish, Mexico - 87%
Spanish - 82%

Beta versions of Czech, Italian, Polish, Russian & Spanish (Argentina) language packs can be downloaded from GitHub.

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-23, 00:02

I've built fresh beta versions of Czech, Italian, Polish, Russian & Spanish (Argentina) along with incomplete French, German, Spanish (Mexico) & Spanish language packs.

Note, these version are intended only for testing.

Feedback and help are welcomed!

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-11-23, 03:54

JustOff,

You're doing such an extraordinary job there! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks A LOT for your hard work! You're helping me a lot to discover live my localization mistakes :silent: with these testing language packs. And, since Pale Moon 27 has a bunch of problems right now —as I actually expected, to be honest :coffee:—, this will give me some time to keep checking my own mistakes. :P

So, thanks a lot for updating these language pack so often. I have already subscribed to your work's webfeed to be as much updated as possible.

Keep that outstanding work level! 8-)

Tar_Ni

Unread post by Tar_Ni » 2016-11-23, 04:48

I made a push to complete the French translation but it needs to be approved.
I'm hoping other french-language translators will come along and help polish the whole thing.

But for now, we have at least something quite workable.

balloon

Unread post by balloon » 2016-11-23, 07:34

I advanced the Japanese translation work.
Although the percentage is still small,
it will probably make the main display of Pale Moon in Japanese.

wrath_rime

Unread post by wrath_rime » 2016-11-23, 14:03

Polish pack comes with invalid hotkeys. Ctrl+C reloads page instead of copying text etc.

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-23, 15:42

wrath_rime wrote:Polish pack comes with invalid hotkeys. Ctrl+C reloads page instead of copying text etc.
This is a known issue of Polish language pack, piotrekslusarz alone performed the whole translation and now is trying to deal with hot keys.

Feel free to join to this job, proofreading is also in queue.

Sleeping

Unread post by Sleeping » 2016-11-23, 22:36

I'll check the Italian translation ASAP. It just needs to be checked, but it is completed, isn't it?
That's great news :)

Fedor2
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2016-11-24, 04:55

I checked russian, its fine, but some strings I would like to translate correctly. I did the first in the crowdin, is it done in the right way?

Also if pdfview was removed why not remove its translations?

Added
I found that search plugins stored inside langpack, so may i suggest another set for russian: yandex, mailru, wikipedia-ru, remove yahoo ecosia and twiter.

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-24, 11:39

Sleeping wrote:I'll check the Italian translation ASAP. It just needs to be checked, but it is completed, isn't it?
Yes, it's completed, but should be verified. Please contact https://crowdin.com/profile/luciochiappetti to coordinate further steps.

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-24, 11:43

Fedor2 wrote:I checked russian, its fine, but some strings I would like to translate correctly. I did the first in the crowdin, is it done in the right way?
Since Russian language pack is already 100% done and verified by me, please send your suggestions in PM or raise issues on CrowdIn.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-24, 12:28

FYI, someone using the polish localization complained on Facebook that it remaps global access keys, making Ctrl+C reload the page instead of copying text.
Please be very careful to not remap access keys to common, global shortcuts.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-24, 12:43

Thank you Moonchild, we already aware of this problem. But the warning you made is definitely worthy to be done once again, as it's very important and should be taken into account by all translators.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-24, 14:01

JustOff wrote:Thank you Moonchild, we already aware of this problem. But the warning you made is definitely worthy to be done once again, as it's very important and should be taken into account by all translators.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that thread -- I've been very busy with other things. Sorry to repeat, but yes, it's very important.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-24, 20:30

I've built fresh beta versions of language packs. French & German are now 100% complete, along with Czech, Italian, Polish, Russian & Spanish (Argentina). Japanese & Chinese Simplified were added to incomplete set, where they joined to Spanish (Mexico) & Spanish.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, new contributors are always welcomed!

Sob__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Sob__ » 2016-11-24, 21:46

I'm wondering, what's the deal with suspiciously similar files like the following?

browser\chrome\cs\locale\browser\appstrings.properties
chrome\cs\locale\cs\global\appstrings.properties

browser\chrome\cs\locale\browser\netError.dtd a
chrome\cs\locale\cs\global\netError.dtd

Especially the first two look like different versions of same thing, almost all variables are same, just the wording of some texts is slightly different. It's not specific to Czech translation, English source has the same differences. Do both files get used, or is one of them some forgotten copy?

I found them when I came across the following, which looked as utter nonsense:

Code: Select all

unknownSocketType=This document cannot be displayed unless you install the Personal Security Manager (PSM). Download and install PSM and try again, or contact your system administrator.
In all other cases the message is clearly related to short variable name, but not this one. Then I was very surprised, when I looked at Crowdin and found the correct string. But that was only because I opened the other appstrings.properties by accident.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-11-24, 22:32

JustOff wrote:I've built fresh beta versions of language packs. French & German are now 100% complete, along with Czech, Italian, Polish, Russian & Spanish (Argentina). Japanese & Chinese Simplified were added to incomplete set, where they joined to Spanish (Mexico) & Spanish.
Thanks. I currently have no time for the german translation (but next week!), but install it and found first problems:
content.png
privacy_settings.png

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-24, 22:34

Sob__ wrote:I'm wondering, what's the deal with suspiciously similar files like the following?
Multiple similar files it's ok, this is how Mozilla style localization works.
I found them when I came across the following, which looked as utter nonsense:

Code: Select all

unknownSocketType=This document cannot be displayed unless you install the Personal Security Manager (PSM). Download and install PSM and try again, or contact your system administrator.
In all other cases the message is clearly related to short variable name, but not this one. Then I was very surprised, when I looked at Crowdin and found the correct string. But that was only because I opened the other appstrings.properties by accident.
Please report such mismatches and specify the exact language. That should be fixed by translator.

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-24, 22:41

dark_moon wrote:Thanks. I currently have no time for the german translation (but next week!), but install it and found first problems:
Thanks for reporting! It's error of postprocessing (my own, not translator) and will be fixed in the next beta build.

PS: Please, hide the screenshots behind the cut.