CrowdIn is set up

The l10n of Pale Moon. Rawr.
Fedor2

Re: CrowdIn is set up

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2016-11-18, 23:22

Or, if translation is already completed, try to download
So I am to download from that github link. Aknowledged
as far as i see your languages are only English
Missed that thing, for now it seems I selected right languages: russian and similar

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2016-11-19, 04:15

CrowdIn just threw me out. Can't get any connection. :(

Any infos about downtime?

edit: They're up again

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-19, 13:33

Thanks to KNTRO, we have 4rd 100% translated locale: Español (AR)!

Updated versions of Czech, Polish & Russian along with Spanish, Argentina are on GitHub now.

Current status of most completed translations:

Czech - 100%
Polish - 100%
Russian - 100%
Spanish, Argentina - 100%
French - 98%
Italian - 96%
German - 96%
Spanish, Mexico - 86%
Spanish - 82%

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, new contributors are always welcomed!

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-11-19, 14:44

JustOff wrote:Thanks to KNTRO, we have 4rd 100% translated locale: Español (AR)!
This 4th 100% translated locale is not because of me, it is thanks TO YOU‼ Because without such a manager, no other locale than en-US would be available! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now, I want to comment something. I'm double checking all files while deleting some unneeded suggestions. Well, I found the xslt.properties file which —in this locale at least— has 2 suggestions per string, in most strings. One suggestion is almost fine, while the other one has nothing to do with the English language original string.

So, I recommend every localizer to double check that file, just in case.

Code: Select all

https://crowdin.com/proofread/pale-moon/167/enus-esar
[Replace the target language by the one you are working on.]

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2016-11-19, 15:01

KNTRO wrote:
JustOff wrote:Thanks to KNTRO, we have 4rd 100% translated locale: Español (AR)!
This 4th 100% translated locale is not because of me, it is thanks TO YOU‼ Because without such a manager, no other locale than en-US would be available! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now, I want to comment something. I'm double checking all files while deleting some unneeded suggestions. Well, I found the xslt.properties file which —in this locale at least— has 2 suggestions per string, in most strings. One suggestion is almost fine, while the other one has nothing to do with the English language original string.

So, I recommend every localizer to double check that file, just in case.

https://crowdin.com/proofread/pale-moon/167/enus-esar
[Replace the target language by the one you are working on.]
Confirmed. Btw, it's corrected in Czech language.
(bad strings are from the file xmlparser.properties)

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-19, 15:10

KNTRO wrote:Now, I want to comment something. I'm double checking all files while deleting some unneeded suggestions. Well, I found the xslt.properties file which —in this locale at least— has 2 suggestions per string, in most strings. One suggestion is almost fine, while the other one has nothing to do with the English language original string.
Thanks for reporting this! I had to remove translations for xslt.properties from all locales, and then I uploaded it again for all active translations from Firefox 38 language packs (Czech - from last xpi).

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2016-11-19, 15:13

JustOff wrote:Czech - from last xpi
Thank you :-)

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-11-21, 12:24

Hi all!

I'm still re-reviewing every single string of every single file of my locale and have found another thing.

The file region.properties has some browser.search.order.n, where n is a number. There are a few search engines, but English language original strings don't match my current translations —I will fix them now, of course. For instance, browser.search.order.2 is Yahoo in the original string but it's Google in the current translation of my locale. I don't know if this happens on other locales too.

Again, please check your locales. Again, just in case.

https://crowdin.com/proofread/pale-moon/337/enus-esar
Remember to replace "esar" by your locale code.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-21, 13:32

Different locales are traditionally served with custom search engines and orders (they include searchplugins regularly too for region-specific search engines).
This will likely need to be investigated for each individual language which search plugins and which order should be used. DDG with pale moon tag should at all times be default.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2016-11-21, 13:56

Moonchild wrote:Different locales are traditionally served with custom search engines and orders (they include searchplugins regularly too for region-specific search engines).
This will likely need to be investigated for each individual language which search plugins and which order should be used.
Translators would add files (*.xml - local search engines) to CrowdIn...
Moonchild wrote:DDG with pale moon tag should at all times be default.
AFAIK: It's probably not a problem.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-21, 14:08

GMforker wrote:
Moonchild wrote:Different locales are traditionally served with custom search engines and orders (they include searchplugins regularly too for region-specific search engines).
This will likely need to be investigated for each individual language which search plugins and which order should be used.
Translators would add files (*.xml - local search engines) to CrowdIn...
As for now, all language packs built from CrowdIn use search plugins from en-US locale. We will have to update them simultaneously with region.properties if it's decided to use different search sets for different languages.

Corresponding approvals from Moonchild will be required of course, so we will have to discuss this somehow.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-21, 16:47

Thanks to Lucio Chiappetti, we have 5th 100% translated locale: Italiano (IT)!

Updated versions of Czech, Polish, Russian & Spanish, Argentina along with Italian are on GitHub.

Current status of most completed translations:

Czech - 100% (verified 100%)
Italian - 100% (unverified)
Polish - 100% (unverified)
Russian - 100% (verified 100%)
Spanish, Argentina - 100% (verified 23%)
French - 98%
German - 98%
Spanish, Mexico - 87%
Spanish - 82%

We need more contributors for translation, testing and proofreading of language packs!

Moonchild, could you please rename this topic to "Pale Moon 27 localization" so new contributors could easily find it or may be we should start new topic?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-21, 22:20

It's probably better to start a new topic. This thread started off with me just announcing that it was set up; I didn't expect it to become the main "working thread" for localization and it's a bit of a mish-mash as a result.
If you make a new thread I'll make it a sticky to make it easier to find.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-11-22, 04:28

Moonchild wrote:This will likely need to be investigated for each individual language which search plugins and which order should be used.
Yeah, especially because Google Search has been removed from Pale Moon. So, this file needs to be updated to remove any reference to Google Search.

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-11-22, 06:34

Sorry for double posting.

Another file to check: appcacheutils.properties.

https://crowdin.com/proofread/pale-moon/52/enus-esar
The English language original strings contain some variable/macros as %1$S, %2$S, %3$S, %4$S, while in my locale's current translation those variables are replaced by just %S for all cases.

I'm going to fix them all right now. You should check if this happens in your locales as well.

EDIT
Here's the same, upside down: gcli.properties.

https://crowdin.com/proofread/pale-moon/65/enus-esar

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2016-11-22, 09:52

We need guidelines about translation of accelerators, or what I suppose are accelerators (single capital or lower case letters).

The way I proceeded in my first run (translate only what was untranslated) was to leave accelerators unchanged (they will be the same in all languages ... it has the advantage that if one is using the browser in different locales one has to learn only one accelerator).

I am now in a second run (reviewing others' translations) and I see that in some files (I noticed it in places.properties) the accelerator were modified (usually as the initials of the translated verb).

Obviously the two ways are in contrast.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-11-22, 11:22

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:We need guidelines about translation of accelerators, or what I suppose are accelerators (single capital or lower case letters).

The way I proceeded in my first run (translate only what was untranslated) was to leave accelerators unchanged (they will be the same in all languages ... it has the advantage that if one is using the browser in different locales one has to learn only one accelerator).
I have done the same, when available. For instance, Select All in English is A, but since in Spanish it is Seleccionar todo, I prefer the lower a instead (& Ctrl + A). Then there's a case where Contraseña (Spanish for Password) can't use the capital C because is in use already, so I selected the ñ character.

So, my suggestion is: to use the same access key as in the original en-US locale when possible.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-22, 15:11

Moonchild wrote:It's probably better to start a new topic.
New dedicated topic for Pale Moon 27 localization is created, please make it a sticky.

It may be also good idea to make link to it from official language packs page.