MozillaTranslator

The l10n of Pale Moon. Rawr.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

MozillaTranslator

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-06, 12:12

There apparently exists a (java-based, platform-independent) tool to translate, specifically, Mozilla-based products. It hasn't been updated in 4 years so I don't know if it's in any way useful or not.

I've had a poke at it but can't really figure it out. Maybe some of you folks can see if they can figure out how this is supposed to all work?

https://kenai.com/projects/moztrans/downloads
https://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:MozillaTranslator
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Using_Mozilla_Translator
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JustOff

Re: MozillaTranslator

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-06, 13:26

Since I see that you are still looking for reliable translation framework, let me once again bring your attention to the Crowdin. This premium service supports all required formats and free for open source projects.

PS: I'm sorry for repeating, but as there was no reply on my previous post about this, I assumed that you might have missed it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-06, 23:13

I've looked into a good handful of on-line services and it's been a terrible time-sink with 0 results.
Also, for this to work, someone besides me need to take the organization of this on themselves, Crowdin or otherwise.

If I were to go in and look at this service, create a project etc. etc., then what would be the next step? Me doing everything again after all?

EDIT: I see. if i want to use CrowdIn, *I* have to set it up because it must be the project lead requesting an Open Source free subscription.

I didn't really look at it before because they scared me off with their price tag. Pale Moon has almost 9000 strings, which would put it in the subscription category that costs $300/month. That is quite beyond our budget for localization.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-07, 11:09

Crowdin is being unfriendly. I uploaded strings for Pale Moon in the 10 day grace period, and the next day I already get the following:
You have just exceeded your current plan quota. Please upgrade your plan to prevent your account from being suspended.
I don't even have a current plan :P This is my 10-day trial. (I'll have to wait until they grant me the Open Source license free use)
Actually, this seems to be because they approved the Open Source license; but they likely need to adjust some parameters because of the very large size of this project...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-07, 12:26

I guess using CrowdIn is going to be a lot simpler than trying to figure out an unsupported 4yo tool.