Language packs in PM v27 stable

The l10n of Pale Moon. Rawr.
Tar_Ni

Language packs in PM v27 stable

Unread post by Tar_Ni » 2016-11-05, 03:09

Hi,

I recently read on Ghacks that PM v27 will only be available in english..

This won't work for my mom as she only speaks french and the language pack is necessery for her.

I'm thinking of disabling updates and let her on PM v26.5 with uBlock Origin for the time being.

But how long will it actually take to get the new PM in more than one language?

Thanks guys. I'm really thrilled by the direction the dev team is going!

Tar_Ni

half-moon

Re: Language packs in PM v27 stable

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-11-05, 12:03

IIRC, multilingual support would have to be a community effort.

Aube Bleue

Unread post by Aube Bleue » 2016-11-05, 19:56

Tar_Ni wrote:But how long will it actually take to get the new PM in more than one language?
The answer is nobody knows exactly when. At the moment, this community-driven project needs a contributor "to lead this localization and translation effort": viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13246. The main developers can't do it themselves -- they're beyond busy! (BTW, this thread belongs in the localization board.)
Tar_Ni wrote:This won't work for my mom as she only speaks french and the language pack is necessery for her.

I'm thinking of disabling updates and let her on PM v26.5 with uBlock Origin for the time being.
I'm in the same position as you: I can live with the en-US locale -- but not my entourage, who relies on the French language pack for the most part. Maybe, if we're lucky, will we see Pale Moon 26 receiving critical security updates for a while after version 27 is released, but that seems unlikely. :?:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-06, 00:49

Rest assured that French will be one of the priority languages (along with German and Spanish) once we have someone to organize and set up this localization effort.
It's a pity that nobody has shown a desire to help out the international community yet in this respect -- I really wish I could manage this but I barely did an acceptable job before, and things have gotten a lot more busy for me to even consider l10n on my agenda. It's just not possible unless I'd be able to clone myself. :P

Even a basic, manual creation of a few languages by splicing together what we have from v26 with some later Firefox versions to pick up platform strings would probably help people out who simply don't have enough command of English. It's not particularly difficult, but it takes time to do. Time we (core devs) simply don't have.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tar_Ni

Unread post by Tar_Ni » 2016-11-06, 04:23

Moonchild wrote:Rest assured that French will be one of the priority languages (along with German and Spanish) once we have someone to organize and set up this localization effort.
It's a pity that nobody has shown a desire to help out the international community yet in this respect -- I really wish I could manage this but I barely did an acceptable job before, and things have gotten a lot more busy for me to even consider l10n on my agenda. It's just not possible unless I'd be able to clone myself. :P

Even a basic, manual creation of a few languages by splicing together what we have from v26 with some later Firefox versions to pick up platform strings would probably help people out who simply don't have enough command of English. It's not particularly difficult, but it takes time to do. Time we (core devs) simply don't have.
I wish I could help, but I don't know how to do this at all. I'm not a computer expert.

Howerver, I am a bilingual person (French-English). It wouldn't be difficult for me to translate PM v27 from one language to the other.

Let's hope a good soul comes along and be willing to do the work. Because it's very important in order for the new Pale Moon to get international exposure. Not everybody speaks english!

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-11-06, 12:19

If the community was more involved with development in the first place, then there would be no need of a re-fork and we would have other languages (and our jetpack extensions).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-06, 12:43

half-moon wrote:If the community was more involved with development in the first place, then there would be no need of a re-fork and we would have other languages (and our jetpack extensions).
What exactly are you referring to? A re-fork of what?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-11-06, 14:33

Moonchild wrote:
half-moon wrote:If the community was more involved with development in the first place, then there would be no need of a re-fork and we would have other languages (and our jetpack extensions).
What exactly are you referring to? A re-fork of what?
Didn't you refer to Tyco as a re-fork or something like that in the past when it was first announced?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-07, 13:00

Oh, you mean in the universe where we'd actually have more than a few active developers and we'd be able to actually implement all this stuff we're getting from the platform update now? ;)
Yeah, in -that- particular universe, we'd be able to continue as-we-were on the previous code base; but that's not our situation.

In the end I'd say it's a better setup this way, as v27 has the potential of being exactly the kind of hybrid we set out Pale Moon to be. Language packs are being worked on re: setup (see my CrowdIn post). SDK extensions are simply one of those things that was initially a good idea but then got morphed into something else by Mozilla, and now deprecated not even a few years down the road... And i don't know if you've paid attention lately but most of the SDK extensions were never compatible with Pale Moon to begin with; we've been skirting the edge of compatibility for those anyway and as time would go on, more of those would also break. Just via a longer and more painful route for everyone involved.