Shrunken Search Box

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
MoonShadow

Shrunken Search Box

Unread post by MoonShadow » 2012-06-16, 04:15

For reasons I don't understand, my search box has shrunken to just 7/8 inch. That's about the width of two icons, and holds exactly 5-1/2 characters of any search term I enter. The space was snarfed up by the URL box which now extends 3/4 of the way across the navigation bar.

There's no way that I know of to adjust the size or spacing of the URL box or the Search box. Swapping their positions on the navigation bar had no effect on their sizes. As an experiment, I inserted a flex space in front of the URL box to try to shove it over but the flex space didn't expand at all, suggesting that there must be something special about these non-adjustable boxes that prevents any modification to them. Nothing in my extensions tinker with this area at all.

I know of no way to correct this, nor of any troubleshooting technique that can shed light on why it happened and how to correct it. Anyone have an idea about where to proceed from here (other than to reinstall the browser?)

I did a quick search of the forum for anything that discussed this issue but found nothing.
There is an extension that claims to autosize the search bar as you type, suggesting that there is somewhere in the bowels of PM where such adjustments are stored.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Shrunken Search Box

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-16, 08:57

You may have to reset your toolbars and controls by holding SHIFT when starting Pale Moon, and ticking the appropriate box.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

MoonShadow

Re: Shrunken Search Box

Unread post by MoonShadow » 2012-06-16, 19:20

@Moonchild: Yup, that worked great! I didn't know about the shift-start capability.

I was surprised to find you CAN readjust the size of the Search-box/URL-box combo proportionately, one relative to the other by sliding the split between them. The problem occurs whenever you put another icon between them, and you can no longer change their sizes with the slider. Since I'm right-handed, I find it more comfortable keeping most of my buttons on the right end of the bar, and that shoved the combo box to the left which squished the search bar to its minimum size and increased the URL bar (I have them reversed so the search bar is to the left of the URL bar and the fore/back button is between them.) I don't understand the mechanics of it, but it seems to be what happened.

Problem solved. Thank you! Maybe a future version of PM can lift the confusing restrictions a bit.