Pale Moon not allowing links to be opened from email

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Kenny

Pale Moon not allowing links to be opened from email

Unread post by Kenny » 2012-06-14, 06:20

Everyone,

I'm having a problem opening links that I receive from email. This didn't happen before updating to version 12. Don't know if it's just a coincidence or not and haven't noticed anyone else mentioning of a similar situation.

My email client is Thunderbird and if I receive an email with a web link and I click on that link, an alert window from Pale Moon is displayed with the following message:
Pale Moon is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Pale Moon process, or restart your system.
Yes, I can confirm the Pale Moon is indeed running and it's running just fine for me. So, I don't understand why this message states that it's not responding. Pale Moon is also my default browser.

Thanks in advance!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon not allowing links to be opened from email

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-14, 09:22

If the browser works fine otherwise, then you may likely be running it with the "-no-remote" switch (e.g. if you use it to run multiple profiles on one machine, etc.). This won't work for using the browser to open external links.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Kenny

Unread post by Kenny » 2012-06-15, 04:59

Hi,

I guess the "-no-remote" switch option doesn't apply to this situation.

I open Pale Moon from the icon on the taskbar and this is what is in the Target field when I check the Properties: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe"

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-15, 08:05

It can also happen if you have the environment variable MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 (Control Panel > System > Advanced > Environment variables).

Otherwise, in favor of repeating what the Mozilla KB has already clearly stated, I'd like to forward you to the causes/solutions there:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_in_use

Also, some answers may be found in Firefox Support, for example your very specific situation here:
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/710261
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite