Forced Update

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
bugbod

Forced Update

Unread post by bugbod » 2012-06-10, 18:30

One of the things that made me change from Firefox to Pale Moon was that I read there were no forced updates - but I've just had one. :x
I haven't restarted and installed it yet. At present I have 12.1. Are there any significant changes? It was halfway through download when I came back to my PC.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Forced Update

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-10, 18:38

If you have Pale Moon with default settings there are no automatically downloaded updates. At most you will be notified.
If you are still automatically downloading updates, then you are not using default settings - perhaps it is a user setting that was ported over with your Firefox profile if you migrated your profile, which means it was already set to a custom setting in Firefox as well.

12.2 has no changes that could potentially break anything, so you can safely install it if 12.1 gave you no problems.

I do suggest you check your update settings, most notably in about:config:
app.update.enabled should be true
app.update.auto should be false
app.update.silent should be false

PS: Having your sanity check failed (saying you are a bot) may see your account banned. Do read carefully when you register on forums.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

bugbod

Unread post by bugbod » 2012-06-10, 18:49

No, nothing came from FF. I had a new hard drive, and did not download FF at all.

I have just checked the settings and they are as you say they should be.

Sorry about the sanity check thing - I thought it was just like a captcha and any answer was valid.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-10, 18:51

Then this shouldn't happen. Especially considering an update from 12.1 to 12.2 is flagged as a "major" update.
I'm not sure what might be the problem unless someone operated your PC while you were away.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

bugbod

Unread post by bugbod » 2012-06-10, 18:57

Not possible. There was nobody here.
This is a screencap of the app. update settings
http://i.imgur.com/pIfka.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-10, 19:03

You got a really funky background there. Maybe you have some stuff installed in your browser that messes with this.

For reference: http://kb.mozillazine.org/App.update.auto

app.update.auto set to false means you will be asked what to do if an update is available.
You can always go to Options -> advanced, tab update, and select there that you don't want any update checking to be done. In that case you will have to check manually in Help -> about to see if there is an update available to the browser.

bugbod

Unread post by bugbod » 2012-06-10, 19:15

The background is the Scribblies theme which on FF wasn't compatible after 3.6, but is compatible with Pale Moon. :D

The updates were set to check but let me choose. I've changed that now to not check. I will do it manually.

Thanks for your help. :)