Can't log into a site with Pale Moon, but can with IE

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Libra

Can't log into a site with Pale Moon, but can with IE

Unread post by Libra » 2012-04-26, 06:01

My daughter went to avon.com and wanted to make an order. She can access the site and put things into the cart, but in order to complete the transaction she must log in. When she tries to log in with Pale Moon the page does nothing. She also clicked to get an e-mail to change the password, but that didn't do anything either. Nothing happens when she tries to log in, the page just stays the same.

I cleared the cache but that didn't help. She eventually went to another computer, but still couldn't log on with Pale Moon. She eventually tried I,E. 8 and was able to log in.

Does anyone have any idea of what is causing this? I'd prefer she not use IE.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Can't log into a site with Pale Moon, but can with IE

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-04-26, 11:38

I had the same problem with a different site, but solved the problem with the IE Tab V2 extension. This extension works very well In Pale Moon. I think this would solve your problem since there are some sites which are still basically IE.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 36/?src=ss
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Libra

Unread post by Libra » 2012-04-28, 05:49

Thank you for your reply, Night Wing. I didn't realize that some sites still exclusively require IE. I guess it's the Active X. I don't really want to introduce IE into Pale Moon, so I think we'll just use IE for this one site for now. It is an interesting extension.

Sincerely, Libra

alan9182

Unread post by alan9182 » 2012-04-28, 10:09

I understood that IETAB actually uses Trident, the heart of Active'X and Internet Explorer.

Is this still true ?

Alan

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-04-28, 11:09

IETab basically calls the IE back-end from within the gecko browser. So you are using the IE rendering engine (and bypassing gecko entirely). As a result you are also as vulnerable to IE exploits as you would be using MSIE (and potentially even more so, because any application-level security measures are not used when calling the IE back-end directly). Caution is advised in any case.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

alan9182

Unread post by alan9182 » 2012-04-28, 12:13

Thanks for confirming my fears. I like to play safe

Regards
Alan