Passwording Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Passwording Pale Moon

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2012-03-17, 13:09

Is it possible to password my Pale Moon so as I'm the only one who can access it??

I have just installed it on my sons laptop and don't want his prying eyes looking at my sites etc.

Your help is always appreciated :)

rabnbeinn

(sorry if there is already a post regarding this but I cannot find it)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Passwording Pale Moon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-03-17, 13:27

Pale Moon doesn't come with an option to password protect your profile. However, what you should do is separate your windows user account from that of your son, this will make a separate profile for Pale Moon, each Windows user will have its own one:
  1. Create a different user account for yourself in Windows (Control panel -> user accounts)
  2. Password protect this user account
  3. For added security, depending on the computer skills of your son, go into c:\users\{your username}\AppData\Roaming and right-click the folder "Moonchild productions", select properties, then:
    1. Under the "Security" tab, remove the user groups Administrators and/or Authenticated users (but leave SYSTEM and your own user name intact!)
      AND/OR
    2. Encrypt the "Moonchild Productions" folder with Windows' file system encryption: under attributes on the main properties page click the Advanced button, then check the checkbox "Encrypt contents"
Just (1) and (2) should suffice for most users. Your history and bookmarks are stored in a database so not too straightforward to check.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Passwording Pale Moon

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2012-03-17, 13:34

Thanks for the rapid response moonchild :)