Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
RamBurner

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Unread post by RamBurner » 2012-03-15, 16:09

Just to let you folks know, I have Pale Moon 64bit running on Windows 8 Consumer Preview.
Initially it pulls up the screen that says it is not a known program, and you don't see an option to run anyway.
There is a portion under the text that says "More Information"
When you click on that, you have the option to 'Run Anyway'

And no I don't like Windows 8 at all, not just because I am a primary Linux user, I use Windows 7 Pro 64bit also.
They are FORCING things on you that 'Normal' people have no use for.
It will be a fine OS for touchscreen tablets, but not for desktop use.
That is just my opinion though (and many other people feel the same)
I will be testing some Add Ons for Pale Moon to see if there are any problems.
The Pale Moon icon does show up on the Metro screen just fine.

Edit: AdBlock Plus and AdBlock Plus Element hider work fine. Flash works.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-03-15, 22:56

I'm now running Avast free in conjunction with the free Comodo Firewall on Windows 7, 64-bit and XP 32-bit computers. I already had Pale Moon 32-bit running on both computers. When I accessed PM for the first time from my Desktop with either computer, Avast said it was an unknown program and asked me if I wanted to block it, allow it and to remember my decision. I allowed it and this screen has never popped up again.

As for Windows 8, from what I've seen on the internet, it looks and feels more like a phone application so for a desktop pc user, I have a feeling Windows 8 is going to be a bust like Windows Vista was in terms of desktop pc OS preference.

I've now put Windows 7, 32-bit on my backup 32-bit computer in a second hard drive. The first hard drive is running Windows XP. Once I change out the sound card to get Windows 7 to work on my nine year old backup computer, I'll wipe the first hard drive and clone Windows 7 on that drive. This way I will have two computers with four hard drives running both 64 and 32 bit Windows 7, with Pale Moon, so I won't have to ever buy Windows 8.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

RamBurner

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Unread post by RamBurner » 2012-03-16, 18:02

I believe you misunderstood a bit, it is a Windows 8 thing about known/trusted programs that doesn't allow you to install without confirmation that you trust this program.
And no it is not the UAC pulling up its box.
It is about programs/drivers that have not paid the terrible/extravagant license fees to Microsoft to have them 'Certified'
Similar to Windows 7 'non signed drivers' installation.