setting up new pc

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
gunnerob

setting up new pc

Unread post by gunnerob » 2012-03-14, 17:17

Hi
Sorry if this isa stupid question ,Currently running 9.2 on an XP laptop, about to move on to a new windows 7 machine. Is there some way I can transfer all my bookmarks and passwords? Thanks in advance .
Rob

megaman

Re: setting up new pc

Unread post by megaman » 2012-03-14, 18:18

gunnerob wrote:Hi
Sorry if this isa stupid question ,Currently running 9.2 on an XP laptop, about to move on to a new windows 7 machine. Is there some way I can transfer all my bookmarks and passwords? Thanks in advance .
Rob
I use XMarks to transfer my bookmarks and LastPass to transfer my passwords. Another alternative is the built-in Firefox Sync, recommended.

LastPass and Xmarks, along with Firefox Sync, transfer your bookmarks and passwords to their servers for safe-keeping, where you can access them on any OS, as long as it has Firefox 4.0+. (XMarks and LastPass are cross-over on OS and browser, so you can pass the bookmarks/passwords around Trident, Webkit, and Presto browsers.)

Also, Moonchild has stated(he is absolutely right and this was an eye-opener) about a privacy issue with XMarks, I simply adjusted that from the Account Control Panel.
If the XMarks throws you off, you are not willing to take the privacy risk, you can export the bookmarks to your desktop as a .html file and copy it to an external Hard Drive or Flash Memory stick. Make sure that you update the .html file if you add/remove bookmarks, if you intend to use this option.

lyceus

Re: setting up new pc

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-03-15, 05:00

I have windows XP 64 bits version and Windows 7 installed in my machine. When I want to sync the bookmarks I just use the integrated tool in Pale Moon, I do not save passwords because this machine is shared. ;)

For backup I do: Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Backup - the file must have .json extension
Then I move to the other windows flavor and do: Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Restore > Choose File and select the file I made in the previous windows version.

NOTE: Be aware that this method overwrites all bookmarks but you don't need to mess with HTML, unless you want to backup those bookmarks then use the method described by Megaman.