plugin container using 41% CPU?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Libra

plugin container using 41% CPU?

Unread post by Libra » 2012-02-29, 16:10

I noticed that my laptop (Win7 64bit) which is running Pale Moon 9.2, when my daughter is playing a game on Facebook (i.e. wheel of fortune) the plugin container is using 41% CPU. Pale Moon isn't using any CPU, or 1 - 2% occasionally, I think. Pale Moon does use 200,000 or more memory sometimes.

Is this normal? I'm asking because the battery has to be charged more frequently lately. (There's also the Lenovo Energy Management process that sometimes uses 25% CPU.)

The hardware acceleration is at default setting in Pale Moon (full). Flash 11.1.102.62 is installed.

Does everyone experience this 41% CPU usage? Would that cause the battery to require more frequent charging?

Sincerely, Libra

megaman

Re: plugin container using 41% CPU?

Unread post by megaman » 2012-02-29, 16:55

Yes, I come across this problem as well, ever since using 9.0 - 9.2.

Once PM 11 comes around, this will not be much of a problem anymore.
I just want to let you know that this is/was a Firefox problem, this problem passes on to PM. Then again, we should blame Flash, as it is the culprit of this matter, maybe their latest Flash Beta and/or their Release Client solved this problem.

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2012-02-29, 17:03

I too have the plugin container issue!!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-02-29, 22:46

megaman wrote:Yes, I come across this problem as well, ever since using 9.0 - 9.2.

Once PM 11 comes around, this will not be much of a problem anymore.
If the plugin container uses a lot of CPU when you are playing a game, it is the plugin that uses the CPU - it will not be solved with a new version of the browser. Flash (usually for games) is a CPU hog. Once PM 11 comes around, Flash will still use the same amount of processor. Please don't promise calves with golden horns to the users, Megaman ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-02-29, 23:20

Moonchild wrote:If the plugin container uses a lot of CPU when you are playing a game, it is the plugin that uses the CPU - it will not be solved with a new version of the browser. Flash (usually for games) is a CPU hog. Once PM 11 comes around, Flash will still use the same amount of processor. Please don't promise calves with golden horns to the users, Megaman ;)
Correct, that was my mistake.

Note to everyone: My experience involves having many open tabs with Flash videos, mainly Youtube, but 11 handles better than 10(it just picks on the RAM more), so I am patiently waiting for the latest PM.
Also, Firefox was not that power hungry when I used the 3.6 - 5.0 series, so something went wrong that is hogging my CPU much.

Note 2: I use the Stable version of Flash, but many swear by the Beta and their new RC versions to have improvements, I simply cannot update to those due to surveys, but I recommend them. (Yes, same version of Flash performs better in FireFox 10 than 9, but better in FireFox 11 than 10, etc. I forgot to mention that Pale Moon 9.2 performs better than the previous Pale Moon 9 versions, so do not downgrade.)

Libra

Unread post by Libra » 2012-03-02, 04:00

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this. I'll hope that it will get better with new versions, although I understand it is flash and not Pale Moon causing this.

I appreciate everyone's replies. Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra