Pale Moon can't load sites, but other browsers can.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Pale Moon can't load sites, but other browsers can.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-09-04, 07:05

Here is some information compiled from the Mozilla Knowledge Base:

Pale Moon cannot load websites but other browsers can

If Pale Moon cannot load websites, but your other browser(s) can, follow the instructions below.

Cannot load websites after updating Pale Moon
If you were able to load websites until you updated Pale Moon, your Internet security software (including firewalls, antivirus programs, anti-spyware programs, and more) is likely preventing Pale Moon from connecting to the Internet. Some Internet security programs can block Internet access even when they are in a "disabled" state.

In general, you should remove Pale Moon from your program's list of trusted or recognized programs, then re-add it.
Pale Moon connection settings
If you connect to the Internet through a proxy server that is having connection problems, you will not be able to load websites. To check your Pale Moon proxy settings:
  1. At the top of the Pale Moon window, click on the Pale Moon button (or the Tools menu in Windows XP/if you enabled the menu bar) and then click Options.
  2. Select the Advanced panel.
  3. Select the Network tab.
  4. In the Connection section, click Settings....
  5. Change your proxy settings:
    • If you don't connect to the Internet through a proxy (or don't know whether you connect through a proxy), select No Proxy.
    • If you connect to the Internet through a proxy, compare Pale Moon's settings to settings in another browser (such as Internet Explorer - see Microsoft's guide to proxy settings).
  6. Close the Connection Settings window.
  7. Click OK to close the Options window.
IPv6
Pale Moon supports the IP v6 networking protocol by default, which may cause connection problems on certain systems. To disable IPv6 in Pale Moon:
  1. In the address bar, type about:config and press Enter.
  2. In the Filter field, type network.dns.disableIPv6 (part of it will do, e.g. "ipv6")
  3. In the list of preferences, double-click network.dns.disableIPv6 to change its value from false to true.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2014-09-01, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed DNS prefetching instructions since it's off by default already.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

CelticMoon

Re: Pale Moon can't load sites, but other browsers can.

Unread post by CelticMoon » 2011-09-05, 00:39

Thank you very much for supplying the pinned post on how to resolve potential issues with the latest version of Pale Moon. I came here first as I have been experiencing severe slow downs of page loading to the point that often pages times out. I followed the instructions provided and see little to no improvement in page loading speed with PM 6.0. I will add that I did not experience any page loading issues with prior versions of Pale Moon.

I have Firefox 6.01 and SeaMonkey 2.3.3 installed and compared about:config settings. What confuses me is both FF and SM have the DNS Prefetching and IPv6 enabled yet do not have the same page loading issues. I have checked my security software (BitDefender 2012) and verified they all have the same firewall permissions - essentially open doors. I did remove Pale Moon from the application list and let it get re-added.

I have tried various sites with varied success. When I load my personal home page there are no page load issues. A link off my home page directs you to the SeaMonkey home page. FF and SM load this page in a blink of an eye - PM does not.

http://jtekusa.freehostia.com/index.html

Another site I routinely visit always takes several minutes with PM 6 (as apposed to seconds with other browsers) is:

http://www.pmi.org

I am not throwing eggs your way - I am hoping you will be able to see something I am not. I prefer Pale Moon over FF and always have since I discovered it back at version 3. It has always been faster, leaner, and an overall solid browser. I know that it still is and I am confused if the issues I am experiencing are unique to my system or a combination of things interfering with Pale Moon.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Oh, I opted to use a different name but you should know me - jtekusa. ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-09-05, 07:42

I've checked both pages (which I had not visited before) in both Pale Moon 3.6.20 and Pale Moon 6.0, on Windows XP - No issues, fast loading.
Can you try clearing your browser's cache?
Did you, by any chance, tweak/"optimize" your internet connection? If so, try resetting your tcp/ip stack and winsock:
- TCP/IP reset: from the command line "netsh int ip reset {name of a logfile to be written}" the logfile is required
- Winsock reset: "netsh winsock reset"
Check your IP settings in case you need a fixed Ip for your machine (it will be reset to automatic addressing) and reboot your system.

See if that helps?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

CelticMoon

Unread post by CelticMoon » 2011-09-05, 16:47

Hello Moonchild,

My apologies again for the multiple posts. As I explained in my apology post, something was amiss with my Internet connection as my posts were not appearing after I submitted them.

I normally set the options to clear private information every exit but noticed I had not done so with the reinstall. I will see if any changes have been made per your suggestion although I am finding Pale Moon to be functioning as zippy as ever today. I am close to doing a total re-image of my system at this point to clear the slate and purge whatever is affecting my overall system performance.

I will check things out and report back with my findings. That you are able to load the PMI site quickly tells me it is a problem on my end although it perplexes me still why only Pale Moon exhibits this behavior - I would think Firefox and SeaMonkey would have the same issues. Of course, this is based on my very limited perspective on how these browsers are coded. ;)

CelticMoon

Unread post by CelticMoon » 2011-09-12, 19:15

I finally got a moment to do some testing. As it turned out, I had to reinstall Bitdefender 2012 due to an issue with Windows (failed device load or something) and have determined my issues are related to Bitdefender. I fired up Pale Moon when it was uninstalled (after a reboot) and it was loading web pages as quickly as ever. I installed BD again, and PM slowed down once again. I found that the adapter settings were not adding my IP address as allowed - only my wireless and wired network connections. Once I added them with "allowed" status, PM worked fine again. Problem solve or so I thought...

When I do a reboot or turn my system off and back on later, these settings are gone. Now, though, even when I update the adapter settings, there is no change with PM - slow page loads. I have searched the web for identified issues between Pale Moon and Bitdefender and found none - none at the BitDefender forum either.

What perplexes me still is why only Pale Moon has this issue - Firefox does not. Is there an issue having FF and PM installed at the same time? I have been trying to install only the 32-bit version of Bitdefender as I had none of these issues when it was installed. Stupidly, I updated to the 64-bit version and this is when the problems started. Alas, for some reason no matter what I do the 64-bit version is always installed. I will work on this some more but I wanted to provide an update - from my perspective Pale Moon and Bitdefender 2012 do not like each other, with the added perspective that it appears to be the 64-bit version only.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-09-12, 22:29

Thanks for the update.
What perplexes me still is why only Pale Moon has this issue - Firefox does not.
Knowing the "big players" out in the field, it probably has to do with special arrangements being made for Firefox internally in BitDefender, while those do not apply to a less known browser.

There is no issue with FF and PM being installed side by side. they can happily run on the same system without any issues.

As for "it always being installed" - there should be a way to remove it again; and I would probably look for a different alternative if it can slow the net connection that much. If it does it for Pale Moon, you can expect it to do the same for other applications as well. From what I understood it makes a virtual network adapter to channel all traffic through? Not a very smart or efficient approach IMHO. and not remembering your configuration settings is definitely not a good thing either.