Youtube lag

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
megaman

Re: Youtube lag

Unread post by megaman » 2011-12-28, 03:58

Exact message after it's done: "Installation Complete. DirectX setup has determined that a newer or equivalent version of DirectX has been installed already. No installation is necessary." I never got a prompt to ignore beforehand.

Once again, TDSSkiller didn't detect anything, I am considered clean.
Malwarebytes Quick Scan mentions "No malicious items detected" all across the scans.

Safari is not laggy either.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2011-12-28, 04:41

megaman wrote:Exact message after it's done: "Installation Complete. DirectX setup has determined that a newer or equivalent version of DirectX has been installed already. No installation is necessary." I never got a prompt to ignore beforehand.
MSFT msg = newer version is installed but is not fully eqiuivalent". Try a Google for methods of installing DX9C over your Windows (Vista/7) version and your current UAC settings. W7 and Vista do not come with the full subsets of DX9C - barely compatible for Spider solitaire - yes - anything else ... ? Probably not. Try after a reboot, you never know!

Good news on Mbam/TDSKiller, one more ruled out :)

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2011-12-28, 05:09

I have it installed, since most of the games I play require DX 9.0c. No, never trying Google, I'll try a Yahoo!.(I'll even Duck it) :)
Every time I re-installed my Vista OS, and when I installed 7 on this laptop, I turn UAC off.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2011-12-28, 05:14

Well, UAC is linked with the built-in firewall (and other things), if it's buggy - anything can (or not) happen. Try resetting UAC to default and then re-installing anything which you feel may be bugged.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2011-12-28, 05:31

I wouldn't say that anything is bugged regarding DirectX, my DX9 games work right and some asked me to installed DX9.0c prior to playing them or they would not run.

Okay, I'll attempt this one. I'll place an edit if anything changes regarding my situation.

Edit: Nothing, same prompt that I already have it installed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-12-28, 09:43

As a quick note here: If the direct2D setting helps, then keep in mind that direct2D acceleration is a DX10 feature in Pale Moon, not DX9. This is also why it doesn't work on Win XP
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-01-01, 17:43

I was wrong all along, the problem was flash.
Playing a video causes lag when I type on 480p and up, but not below.
Also, just loading a 720p video lags my typing, even when not playing it.

Either the site is adjusting slowly to the fox, like the other browsers, or it's some kind of setting I have to disable.
It has to be HW, since I have stated my specs, plus it's a laptop so that's worse.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2012-01-01, 18:19

Is your flash version the most recent, 11.1.102.55?

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-01-01, 18:24

Yes, always the latest on my computer.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2012-01-01, 18:38

Hmm, you could try installing the gfx driver from the previous month to test?

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-01-01, 18:43

I have tried the drivers from this month, the previous month(It started from here but it didn't a few weeks before), and the ones that are provided from the laptop manufacturer dating to last year.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-01, 20:24

If it's a problem with 480p and up, but not below, then it's most definitely a flash issue, most likely combined with a lower specced machine that does -not- like large amounts of data to be processed. It may possibly tie in with the major speed regression in cairo for Firefox 4 and later (to be fixed in v11) that impacts animated images and also some resizing issues, since it's still a drawing surface that is handled, but more likely it's purely a Flash issue on a lower end machine -- Flash is notorious for gobbling up CPU cycles to the point of impacting system responsiveness.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-01-01, 21:06

Moonchild wrote:If it's a problem with 480p and up, but not below, then it's most definitely a flash issue, most likely combined with a lower specced machine that does -not- like large amounts of data to be processed. It may possibly tie in with the major speed regression in cairo for Firefox 4 and later (to be fixed in v11) that impacts animated images and also some resizing issues, since it's still a drawing surface that is handled, but more likely it's purely a Flash issue on a lower end machine -- Flash is notorious for gobbling up CPU cycles to the point of impacting system responsiveness.
Okay the test is this:
720p video, not Full Screen but stretched out(middle setting), and I start typing while it plays.

IE small lag but not enough to say that it's impeding from getting my message implied so it improved, it used to be as bad as on FF/PM.
FF laggy to the extremes, it makes an animation as if the browser is reloading while I type and it breaks the text that's trying to catch up to my typing, so I have to revise to see what got cut-off. (Cairo for the lose)
Opera doesn't lag at all when I am typing.
Dragon doesn't lag at all when I am typing.
The latest 1.6. Beta 2 from K-Meleon uses Gecko 1.9.1.17pre. (from Seamonkey 2.0.11) , and it's a bit laggy not much to say it's enough to bother my typing, but a little worse than IE.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-01, 23:35

Gecko 1.9.* doesn't suffer from the cairo issue - so neither does Pale Moon 3.6.* ;)
IE doesn't use the same type of flash plugin (IE uses an ActiveX control) so you can't compare the two.

ALSO: it's likely that if you use an older Flash plugin version, that you won't have this issue.
Try: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1466747/Palemoon/support/install_flash_player_10.3.181.114_non_ie.exe

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-01-02, 00:42

Yes, I shouldn't compare, but it's not being a pain anymore when I try to type a message.
Also, it doesn't explain why the other browsers using the plug-in version don't come across this problem.

That version doesn't stop the laggy problem.

I'll just use one of the others to type comments ever so often(20+ videos a day might be a hassle), but video playing is smooth even on the latest.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2012-01-02, 00:46

Running GPU-Z and watching the middle tab might help you determine if the gfx card is getting stressed (if it hasn't already been mentioned and tried).

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-01-02, 03:04

PM wasn't affected as much, on this one. I will have to upload another video where it shows how it usually acts with me. (This occasion is ultra-rare)
Dragon is a bit affected but hardly enough to say it's a problem. (It was being a pain because it was nagging to update Flash)
Opera is hardly affected.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk1mWQHfYwc

This one below shows how it is most of the time when I try to type a message. (This is the standard when I try to type a message)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhmLopTul_k

Pressing all the keys wildly. The reason of the video is to show the progress of the GPU-Z, hardly any effect on the Load.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2012-01-02, 03:55

And, presumably because it's a laptop gfx chip, GPU-Z has a limited range of sensors to work with and provide feedback. Gfx looks unstressed from what we can see. I think it just has to be Flash but I don't know the cure.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-01-02, 04:11

I'll wait for FF 11 towards PM 11, for now I'll just go with both of your conclusions that Flash is hungry. :)
I am still blaming the site but only time will tell.

We had this topic in a private sector and we took it out to the public streets. Awesome.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-02, 19:05

Considering your video is not playing smooth, you are simply dealing with low responsiveness on your system because all your CPU cycles are gobbled up by video playback. Your laptop simply doesn't have the computing power to play the flash video at higher resolutions because it can't decode fast enough - and as a result, your responsiveness is killed.