Speed up boot times

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
damamm

Re: Speed up boot times

Unread post by damamm » 2014-03-13, 01:59

I didn't run any precise tests or comparisons, but it also does feel a bit faster for me as well, like 1 or 2 seconds average, so thanks very much!
My browser boot times are kinda random though, between 3 to 10 seconds.

TELVM

Unread post by TELVM » 2014-03-13, 02:36

Aside from seat of the pants I know Portable is now faster because at user.ini I had the TimeOut tailored for the SplashScreen to disappear right at the moment the browser pops open.

And now in 24.4 the browser pops open before the splashscreen disappears :clap: .

link68759

Unread post by link68759 » 2014-03-15, 21:15

It does seem a bit faster :)

Anyway I'm probably never going to finish my tutorial on rsync/ramdisk.

There's one more thing I could possibly try- but if that fails, Cygwin just doesn't support preserving ntfs permissions, at least not under x64, and I wouldn't wish 32bit cygwin on my worst enemy.

The wonky permissions are in turn causing firefox to disable all extensions on start, or otherwise it just breaks the profile, presumably firefox is trying to "recover" and it ends up making things worse...

On top of that, I've gotten 2-3 BSODs in the last few months, all because of the RAMdisk. That's 2-3 more than I've ever gotten on windows 8.

So... yeah I'm back to where I left off- RAMdisks just aren't really a viable option under windows.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-03-15, 21:47

So... yeah I'm back to where I left off- RAMdisks just aren't really a viable option under windows.
a-and on linux just move stuff to tmpfs 8-)