Autofill passwords without asking/saving new ones? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Autofill passwords without asking/saving new ones?

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-03-28, 09:40

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to use the in-built Password Manager like this:

1. Save login details for website x (just a website I use, not X/Twitter).
2. Prevent the Password Manager from asking to save passwords for other websites i.e. to stop/pause that feature.
3. Still being able use the Password Manager to auto-fill website x with the stored password.

Or are the save and auto-fill features strictly tied to one another? I did a quick test, and it seems disabling "Remember passwords for sites" also disables auto-fill. Reason is this: I don't want to use the built-in Manager for all passwords, but there is one annoying website I regularly visit which always clears the login data, and the built-in Manager is the quickest way to log in.

If not possible, it'd be nice to have this option: still auto-fill, but no further asking to save passwords.

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Autofill passwords without asking/saving new ones?

Unread post by suzyne » 2024-03-28, 11:06

As far as I can tell, turning off the Remember passwords for sites option on the Security tab of the Preferences, stops any passwords that are already stored from being used when visiting a site.

Originally, I was going to suggest using the Password Backup Tool add-on to get all your passwords into Pale Moon, without going through the process of getting each one saved by logging in, and without being prompted to save more in the future. But the above behaviour seems to prevent (if you never want to be prompted to save again) that convenience?

If I am missing something, please let me know!
Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-03-28, 11:50

Thank you, suzyne.

No, I don't need to import passwords. I only need to save one, or just a few (easily done with the built-in method) and keep using the currently saved login(s) for auto-fill, but without prompts for saving more.

A "simple" solution would be the addition of a "Never ask for passwords again" option in the save password prompt. It should be of course toggle-able somewhere in Settings.

Currently, the only workaround I see is to leave "Remember passwords for sites" enabled, and select "Never remember password for this site" on every website Pale Moon asks me to, essentially adding exceptions almost everywhere. Not ideal, but it'll have to do.

I hope this gets considered as a feature request.

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2024-03-28, 14:18

back2themoon wrote:
2024-03-28, 09:40
Is it possible to use the in-built Password Manager like this:

1. Save login details for website x (just a website I use, not X/Twitter).
2. Prevent the Password Manager from asking to save passwords for other websites i.e. to stop/pause that feature.
3. Still being able use the Password Manager to auto-fill website x with the stored password.
There's one method for Firefox by disabling the password-save-dialog popup with a customized userChrome.css: https://superuser.com/questions/1413438 ... g-for-more

Not sure if it would work with Pale Moon.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-03-28, 16:35

Thanks, andyprough. Bit of a kludge... but it works. Tested three different websites.

The "remove password key icon" code also works.

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2024-03-28, 16:44

back2themoon wrote:
2024-03-28, 16:35
Thanks, andyprough. Bit of a kludge... but it works. Tested three different websites.

The "remove password key icon" code also works.
Nice. It would be useful if this could somehow be made into a checkbox option in preferences. Like you, I also use the password autofill for a small number of sites and don't need the popup elsewhere.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-03-28, 18:14

suzyne wrote:
2024-03-28, 11:06
Originally, I was going to suggest using the Password Backup Tool add-on to get all your passwords into Pale Moon, without going through the process of getting each one saved by logging in, and without being prompted to save more in the future. But the above behaviour seems to prevent (if you never want to be prompted to save again) that convenience?
Wait... I think I only now understood this suggestion. :D

The idea was to import all passwords into Pale Moon in one go, in order to avoid getting annoyed by the prompts in the future, since the passwords would be already in place?

Not a bad idea actually, but probably not for those who only want a few passwords stored in Pale Moon. As for me... I ultimately decided to give the built-in Password Manager a try and store ALL passwords in there - banks included. With a master password, of course.

The CSS trick described here is still a good option.

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2024-03-28, 20:59

back2themoon wrote:
2024-03-28, 18:14
I ultimately decided to give the built-in Password Manager a try and store ALL passwords in there - banks included. With a master password, of course.
Like you, I am treating Pale Moon as a secure browser and with a master password in place, it stores everything, including passwords for bank accounts, and other credentials that I never felt comfortable keeping into my browser's built-in manager.

Having gone through the process with my previous browser of entering passwords and accepting the prompt to save for nearly all the sites I visit, when coming to Pale Moon I didn't want to do that all again, so I found the extension to do the importing.

I know some might say that this level of trust in a built-in password manager is a "bad idea", but currently I feel like it is working for me and is safe.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-03-28, 21:23

Using a master password and the internal password manager is safe. It uses industry-standard strong encryption and hash stretching with sufficient rounds to make master password guessing infeasible for even the fastest PCs. With a sufficiently long and non-trivial (i.e. not easily dictionary-guessable) master password, there's no way even an exfiltrated profile could give up all its secrets in a remotely reasonable time frame.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-03-29, 21:32

By the way, is there a quick and reliable way to transfer stored passwords into another Pale Moon profile say, with a simple file transfer? Or is it more involved than that due to encryption etc.?

I'm guessing JustOff's Password Backup Tool should be able to do it.

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2024-03-29, 23:06

back2themoon wrote:
2024-03-29, 21:32
By the way, is there a quick and reliable way to transfer stored passwords into another Pale Moon profile say, with a simple file transfer? Or is it more involved than that due to encryption etc.?

I'm guessing JustOff's Password Backup Tool should be able to do it.
Pale Moon sync will bring over any of Passwords, Bookmarks, Preferences, History, and/or Tabs that you want sync'ed. That's probably the absolute easiest way to transfer passwords.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-03-30, 11:30

Thanks for the tip, I'd forgotten about Sync. Honestly, I'd prefer not to employ an online service (yet another) - even more so for sensitive info like passwords. Yes, I know Sync is safe but I'd rather manually handle the specific profile files.

I understand though that moving them around may not be possible with passwords (as say, Bookmarks), due to their sensitive, encrypted nature.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-03-30, 16:04

I had to quickly give up the in-built Manager and revert to my previous method (KeePassXC with Auto-Type) along with the CSS trick. Reason is that I've already encountered three websites where it's impossible to save the login, even with the Classic Password Editor extension recently mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31009

In some of the above cases (pCloud being one) it's only possible to store (and auto-fill) the password, but you have to manually type in the username first. In all above cases, the username and password entries have been split into two different pages, which seems to be an increasing, annoying trend and difficult for the in-built Password Manager to handle.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-03-30, 22:57

back2themoon wrote:
2024-03-30, 16:04
In all above cases, the username and password entries have been split into two different pages, which seems to be an increasing, annoying trend and difficult for the in-built Password Manager to handle.
This is exactly by design of those websites because they are obsessed with trying to break being able to store passwords in browsers, as in: deciding for the user which password tools they can use by deliberately breaking normal password recording practice or form history features.
Of course those website owners do not understand that it is human nature to choose weak, simple passwords if one is forced to enter it manually every time, literally not doing their due diligence keeping their user's data protected. (but of course they would argue it would be up to the user to keep their password secure, even if they literally cripple the way it could easily be done)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2024-03-31, 01:47

back2themoon wrote:
2024-03-30, 16:04
In all above cases, the username and password entries have been split into two different pages, which seems to be an increasing, annoying trend and difficult for the in-built Password Manager to handle.
Yes, two page logins can be really annoying!

What I have done is put my email addresses (and my favourite login names) in the Paste Email (original) add-on. It is then relatively easy to paste it into the first page, and have the Pale Moon password manager handle the second page. I find this works for me most of the time.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-04-01, 22:15

That's an interesting workaround, thanks. I will consider switching yet again to the built-in Manager, although KeePassXC (and vanilla KeePass) works very well with Pale Moon using Auto-Type. It can auto-fill pretty much everything without the need for so many workarounds, extensions etc.

By the way, the upcoming KeePassXC 2.7.8 is expected to solve an annoying bug which affects Auto-Type (and thus, auto-fill in Pale Moon).