Why is Pale Moon so laggy on specific websites and why does it take so much CPU power?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ashoka232
New to the forum
New to the forum

Why is Pale Moon so laggy on specific websites and why does it take so much CPU power?

Unread post by ashoka232 » 2024-03-21, 08:32

Hey all, I recently got Pale Moon and have been messing around with the customisation. After that, I decided to actually try out the browser. It's nothing special, not fast but not slow. Specific websites however, seem to run unbearably slow.

Youtube for example gets extremely choppy when scrolling, even when only going one scroll notch at a time. Reddit is the same. When I load these sites, the browser freezes for a little bit. Upon scrolling, they react in a very sluggish and choppy manner.

Other websites such as Google, the Pale Moon extensions website, Toms Hardware and JB-HI-FI seem to work mostly fine, with the occasional choppiness here and there.

I have also discovered that, when having the same three tabs open on both the latest version of Firefox and Pale Moon, Firefox only takes about 0.3-1% CPU with the browser open on idle. On the other hand, when Pale Moon is open and idle, it jumps all the way to 10% CPU usage, which makes the power usage react by saying Pale Moon is "Very High". Pale moon does seem to take roughly 500mb less Ram than Firefox though.

- Ryzen 5 3600

- 16gb RAM.

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Why is Pale Moon so laggy on specific websites and why does it take so much CPU power?

Unread post by suzyne » 2024-03-21, 09:07

Welcome!

I can't explain "the why" because I am just another Pale Moon user, but have you tried the AVX2 version found here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=27873 ?

I find that it significantly improves the browser when it comes to scrolling and general smoothness. At least, that's my experience on my Laptop 1.
Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Why is Pale Moon so laggy on specific websites and why does it take so much CPU power?

Unread post by vannilla » 2024-03-22, 19:43

Sites are slow because they are either poorly done or do so much work in background that the whole application hangs.
This same situation actually happens in other browsers too (minus some tinfoil-hattery beyond the scope of this reply) but they hide it with a lot of smoke and mirrors so it doesn't appear to hang even though it would otherwise.
Current-day web development tools are partly to blame for this: while programmers, especially web front end, are notoriously bad at writing "not slow" code, tools and frameworks have accumulated a lot of cruft under the hood that is so hidden below layers and layers of abstractions that nobody can really pinpoint where they can be slimmed down, sped up or anything else along those lines.

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2024-03-22, 21:44

ashoka232 wrote:
2024-03-21, 08:32
Hey all, I recently got Pale Moon and have been messing around with the customisation. After that, I decided to actually try out the browser.
So you customized it before trying it?

How are we to answer your question without any of the required troubleshooting info or any idea what your customizations involved?

Reddit works fine for me and idle Pale Moon does not cause high CPU usage for me. I guess that's my answer based on the provided info.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-03-22, 21:53

*shrug* Works for me, with plenty of open tabs after a big research project... :eh:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Massacre
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Massacre » 2024-03-27, 10:51

There are indeed problems when loading reddit (new layout) or youtube, and they are related to JS. As 360chrome shows no problems with them, I guess their JS is just too much Chrome-optimized. No scroll problems, though (it may be related to hardware acceleration on specific setups).