How do I get an older Page Moon to work, or how do I make a new one go?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Mysha
New to the forum
New to the forum

How do I get an older Page Moon to work, or how do I make a new one go?

Unread post by Mysha » 2024-03-16, 12:53

Hi,

Operating system:
Browser version:
32-bit or 64-bit browser?:
Problem URL:
Browser theme (if not default):
Installed add-ons:
Installed plugins: (about:plugins):

Operating system: Mate Ubuntu Linux - Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS, MATE Desktop Environment 1.26.0
Browser version: Firefox Browser 123.0.1 (64-bit) - There's more information, but their Information window appears to be crafted specifically to not let that be copied out. (I'm also not sure how relevant the browser that I DO use is. After all: It's the browser that I can NOT use that I have problems with.)
32-bit or 64-bit?: 64 bit, I assume.
Problem URL: <https://start.me/users/sign_in>, I guess.
Theme: Default
Installed add-ons: Lots. I can't find how to start up without them, but I switched off each and all of them manually.
Installed plugins: None. I wouldn't know what those were.

I used to use Pale Moon. But at some point, start.me stopped working. Though I reported that to them, it took them months to reply, with irrelevant answers. So, since I could not get them to check/fix what the problem was, I switched to FireFox. (I didn't want to be on FireFox; That's exactly why had in the past fled to Pale moon.) Recently, when installing Ubuntu on a computer, that Windows 8 had become invalid for, I noticed that the version of Pale Moon that I couldn't get to work properly there, was later than the version that can not get <https://start.me/users/sign_in> to work here.

I can't recall how I got Pale Moon there, but here I tried downloading Pale Moon, and the only thing that gives me is a bunch of files. That would suggest I didn't do it the right way, but does anyone what I should have done?

The reader would probably want to know what <start.me> does though. Well, not much; it'll show its adds, but anything beyond that goes by way of the sign_in. The page does show the Title, in the title bar, but otherwise the page remains blank.

Bye
Mysha

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: How do I get an older Page Moon to work, or how do I make a new one go?

Unread post by andyprough » 2024-03-16, 15:29

Mysha wrote:
2024-03-16, 12:53
Operating system: Mate Ubuntu Linux - Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS, MATE Desktop Environment 1.26.0
Mysha wrote:
2024-03-16, 12:53
I tried downloading Pale Moon, and the only thing that gives me is a bunch of files. That would suggest I didn't do it the right way, but does anyone what I should have done?
To install Pale Moon on Ubuntu, go to https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=palemoon
Click on "Ubuntu"
Click on "Add repository and install manually"
Find the section "For xUbuntu 22.04 run the following"
There are four commands listed there. You will want to open a terminal on Ubuntu, and then copy the commands one a time and paste each one into the terminal, hitting the "Enter" key on your keyboard after each one. Follow along with the output in the terminal and type "y" or hit the "Enter" key on your keyboard when asked. This will install the latest Pale Moon for you.

You can find these instructions any time by going to the Pale Moon homepage at palemoon.org, and clicking on "Download", then "Other", then "3rd Party Builds", and then "Pale Moon GTK3 repositories for Debian and Ubuntu".

Start.me seems to work for me on the latest version of Pale Moon, but I do not have an account so I haven't tried to sign in.