Google fonts

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
yetanotherid
Moongazer
Moongazer

Google fonts

Unread post by yetanotherid » 2024-03-10, 15:10

While I'm posting here to ask about another issue, I thought I'd also ask... does Pale moon not play nice with google fonts?

I think the address is fonts.googleapis.com or something similar. After clearing the broswer cache, which I tend to do once in a while, pages would often take forever to load, and when I eventually started paying attention to what the status bar was displaying, I discovered Pale Moon was invariably waiting for those @^%* fonts to download. I don't know why they download so slowly, assuming that's the problem.

Should Pale Moon time-out sooner and render the page without them? It's not an issue for me now because I have uBlock Origin blocking them and web pages load at a normal speed again. I'm running Pale Moon 33.01 (64 bit) on MX Linux.

Cheers.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Google fonts

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-03-10, 17:41

yetanotherid wrote:
2024-03-10, 15:10
does Pale moon not play nice with google fonts?
If there's any undue delay with the status "waiting for {host}..." then the browser is literally waiting for the server to send the requested data. I don't see that being an issue on our side.
So it seems to be the other way around in that case, that Google Fonts doesn't play nice with requests made from Pale Moon.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

yetanotherid
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by yetanotherid » 2024-03-10, 21:39

I don't fully understand most of the info on this page, but it mentioned browsers having default time-outs after which they give up waiting. Does Pale Moon have a set time-out duration? If so, it seems to be incredibly long.

https://www.tunetheweb.com/blog/should- ... splay-swap

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-03-11, 00:18

No, Pale Moon only waits a few seconds (3 by default) for downloadable fonts and if it isn't being served the font in that time, it will use a fallback as-appropriate until the font has loaded. If Google Fonts is serving stuff indirectly though and relying on other files to be served first before requesting the fonts from the file being held up, then yes, it can cause undue delays. Some more research may be required why network requested fonts for you incur a delay when you've cleared your cache.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite