high load in absence of anything open (one window, blank tab)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
poefirestorm
Moongazer
Moongazer

Re: high load in absence of anything open (one window, blank tab)

Unread post by poefirestorm » 2024-03-03, 13:36

Moonchild wrote:
2024-03-03, 11:00
No. And even if it was I'm pretty sure it wouldn't help much.

A while back I looked at somehow tagging ghost windows and forcing them to be nuked but wasn't able to come up with a reasonable implementation. I may revisit that sometime.
Well, if you need an easy repro, there is this page https://www.kmart.com.au/search/?searchTerm=shirt
Every time it is refreshed it increases Pale Moon's memory use by about 100mb. This memory never gets released (even if the tab is closed), and the browser very quickly starts exhibiting symptoms described in the original post (high cpu and memory use, sluggish). There is eventually a ghost window for every refresh of that page.
By the way, Firefox is able to garbage collect it (without closing the tab and killing the process), so maybe there is a glitch in Pale Moon's GC after all.