Pale Moon crashes on old Laptop with Linux Mint

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
LinuxNoob

Pale Moon crashes on old Laptop with Linux Mint

Unread post by LinuxNoob » 2023-12-30, 17:48

Hi, first thank you for your hard work on creating some alternative in this monotone web browser world. Please keep up the great work.

In linux mint app store there was none PaleMoon installation at all so i was going with what is available from the download link this side provides with gtk2 version.
Only first time i was able to run the command ./palemoon from PaleMoon folder seemed everything ok palemoon started , was greeted with getting the browser as my default browser , but after i choose to not have it as default and clicked OK everything crushed even the DM, the cinnamon desktop manager then autorestarted and got back to the workspace but without any application running. After that i wasn't even able to see any error message in console because it crashed altogether again (whole DM) when i tried again to run it from the folder.
Tried the gtk3 version, same result browser flashes fast before the whole DM crashes.
Sadly can't find any xorg log or anything as i'm noob in this field but my guess is the linux mint is using Xwayland instead :?: :?:

Any hints or ways to fix this ?
Or is my lappy too old for this ?
As the browser crashes too fast and takes all the DM with it don't know if i would be able to use the about:config to change anything or is there any way around to configure the browser without running it ?
Any suggestions ? Google just send me some messages from the fare past with no help hints :problem: :think:

Thank you very much in advance, keep up the great work.

Code: Select all

neofetch 
             ...-:::::-...                 a@Mint 
          .-MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-.              ------ 
      .-MMMM`..-:::::::-..`MMMM-.          OS: Linux Mint 21.2 x86_64 
    .:MMMM.:MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:.MMMM:.        Host: 6475L16 ThinkPad T400 
   -MMM-M---MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.MMM-       Kernel: 5.15.0-91-generic 
 `:MMM:MM`  :MMMM:....::-...-MMMM:MMM:`    Uptime: 3 hours, 51 mins 
 :MMM:MMM`  :MM:`  ``    ``  `:MMM:MMM:    Packages: 2389 (dpkg), 26 (flatpak) 
.MMM.MMMM`  :MM.  -MM.  .MM-  `MMMM.MMM.   Shell: bash 5.1.16 
:MMM:MMMM`  :MM.  -MM-  .MM:  `MMMM-MMM:   Resolution: 1280x800 
:MMM:MMMM`  :MM.  -MM-  .MM:  `MMMM:MMM:   DE: Cinnamon 5.8.4 
:MMM:MMMM`  :MM.  -MM-  .MM:  `MMMM-MMM:   WM: Mutter (Muffin) 
.MMM.MMMM`  :MM:--:MM:--:MM:  `MMMM.MMM.   WM Theme: Mint-Y-Dark-Purple (Mint-Y 
 :MMM:MMM-  `-MMMMMMMMMMMM-`  -MMM-MMM:    Theme: Mint-Y-Dark-Purple [GTK2/3] 
  :MMM:MMM:`                `:MMM:MMM:     Icons: Mint-Y-Purple [GTK2/3] 
   .MMM.MMMM:--------------:MMMM.MMM.      Terminal: gnome-terminal 
     '-MMMM.-MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-.MMMM-'       CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 (2) @ 2. 
       '.-MMMM``--:::::--``MMMM-.'         GPU: Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset 
            '-MMMMMMMMMMMMM-'              Memory: 2196MiB / 3808MiB 
               ``-:::::-``

Operating system: Linux Mint 21.2
Browser version: 32.5.2 both gtk2 and gtk3 versions
32-bit or 64-bit browser?: 64bit
Problem URL:
Browser theme (if not default):
Installed add-ons:
Installed plugins: (about:plugins):

If possible, please include the output of help->troubleshooting information (as text):
**PASTE troubleshooting information here**

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Pale Moon crashes on old Laptop with Linux Mint

Unread post by ron_1 » 2023-12-30, 21:59

More info might help. Can you do a inxi -Fxz report from the terminal? Depending on how old your laptop is, it might have been better going with a lighter DE, like Mate or Xfce. Or even a different distro, like Puppy Linux.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-12-30, 22:18

Well, if his info is right, it's a Thinkpad T400, which has a Core 2 Duo of some kind. Since the browser does work on Pentium 4 machines, I would be surprised if it didn't work on a Core 2 Duo... I know for sure it works on Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge.

My guess is that it's actually Mint that's having trouble supporting older stuff, especially mainstream Mint which is based on Ubuntu. Ubuntu is supposedly dropping support for everything pre-Haswell soon, and that's going to make supporting your hardware harder on Mint since it's downstream of Ubuntu.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-12-30, 22:19

@ LinuxNoob

My wife had a 14" HP laptop which was built in 2012 and it would not run Pale Moon. It did the same thing which you described. I sold that laptop.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2023-12-31, 09:10

Run PM in a terminal and show the output.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-12-31, 09:23

Pentium4User wrote:
2023-12-31, 09:10
It'll probably not help if it tears down the display manager.

My best guess is that it's a graphics driver issue. if it crashes it can tear down the entire X session.
Try starting the browser in safe mode with palemoon --safe-mode
If that starts, then go into preferences and disable hardware acceleration (in advanced) and restart.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LinuxNoob

Unread post by LinuxNoob » 2024-01-13, 19:35

Hi all and thank you very much everyone for your help
and sorry for the late reply
ron_1 wrote:
2023-12-30, 21:59
More info might help. Can you do a inxi -Fxz report from the terminal? Depending on how old your laptop is, it might have been better going with a lighter DE, like Mate or Xfce. Or even a different distro, like Puppy Linux.
Here is the output of inxi -Fxz

System:
  Kernel: 5.15.0-91-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.4.0
    Desktop: Cinnamon 5.8.4 Distro: Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
    base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 6475L16 v: ThinkPad T400
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: LENOVO model: 6475L16 serial: <superuser required> 
  BIOS: LENOVO
    v: 7UET94WW (3.24 ) date: 10/17/2012
CPU:
  Info: dual core model: Intel Core2 Duo P8400 bits: 64 type: MCP
    arch: Core Yorkfield rev: 6 cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 3 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 1541 high: 1596 min/max: 800/2267 cores: 1: 1487
    2: 1596 bogomips: 9044
  Flags: ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics vendor: Lenovo
    driver: i915 v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
    unloaded: fbdev,vesa gpu: i915 resolution: 1280x800~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Mobile Intel GM45 Express (CTG)
    v: 2.1 Mesa 23.0.4-0ubuntu1~22.04.1 direct render: Yes
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 82801I HD Audio vendor: Lenovo ThinkPad T400
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.0-91-generic running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Intel 82567LM Gigabit Network vendor: Lenovo ThinkPad T400
    driver: e1000e v: kernel port: 1840 bus-ID: 00:19.0
  IF: enp0s25 state: down mac: <filter>
  Device-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh] Network driver: iwlwifi
    v: kernel bus-ID: 03:00.0
  IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 260.84 GiB used: 242.03 GiB (92.8%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Gigabyte model: GP-GSTFS31120GNTD size: 111.79 GiB
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST9160823AS size: 149.05 GiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 108.04 GiB used: 94.07 GiB (87.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
    mapped: vgmint-root
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 512.1 MiB used: 6.1 MiB (1.2%) fs: vfat
    dev: /dev/sda2
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 980 MiB used: 210.2 MiB (21.5%)
    dev: /dev/dm-1 mapped: vgmint-swap_1
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 43.0 C mobo: 40.0 C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 3417
Info:
  Processes: 227 Uptime: 5h 46m Memory: 3.72 GiB used: 1.54 GiB (41.3%)
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 11.4.0 clang: 14.0.0-1ubuntu1.1
  Packages: 2519 Shell: Bash v: 5.1.16 inxi: 3.3.13
Was going with the flow :), was expecting to be more info and support and applications support for cinnamon then the others (Mate, Xfce) i got not much experience of managing different GTKs
Would have even considered puppy, but the fear of not being able to use newest browser or event try newest things scared me (was hoping for unity, unreal, and follow some newer programming and developing tutorials) and but U,U 's doesn't work on this old lappy anyway XD *[even tho unity 2018 worked fine on the default windows 7 :|, then updates struck and no support from M$ struck ] )
athenian200 wrote:
2023-12-30, 22:18
...My guess is that it's actually Mint that's having trouble supporting older stuff, especially mainstream Mint which is based on Ubuntu. Ubuntu is supposedly dropping support for everything pre-Haswell soon, and that's going to make supporting your hardware harder on Mint since it's downstream of Ubuntu.
ouh whell there goes my hope that linux would "bring back life to old hardware" :( seems linux is also fated with abandoning old HW, and support only to max > 10years :/
just out of curiosity , does it mean that with newer versions of Ubuntu and all the derivations the PaleMoon is going to start to suffer on older hardware ? or also on any older hardware that the support for is going down ? that would be a sad browser world :(
Night Wing wrote:
2023-12-30, 22:19
@ LinuxNoob

My wife had a 14" HP laptop which was built in 2012 and it would not run Pale Moon. It did the same thing which you described. I sold that laptop.
understandable,
sadly i'm kind of hoarding person so i try to use the hw to it's max till it falls apart on it's own (also keeping the eWaste out of the land as long as possible , not that google with mobile manufacturers and their forced updates on new phones gonna help but at least I have to try )
Pentium4User wrote:
2023-12-31, 09:10
well i tried the PM from terminal and what i was describing is what happened , blinks faster then i can screenshot that even worse on the second try it doesn't even blink the browser and output in terminal is none just crash of cinnamon
Moonchild wrote:
2023-12-31, 09:23
...My best guess is that it's a graphics driver issue. if it crashes it can tear down the entire X session.
Try starting the browser in safe mode with palemoon --safe-mode
If that starts, then go into preferences and disable hardware acceleration (in advanced) and restart.
thank you for your help , but sadly it just opens palemoon and crashes in a second or two, not much output in terminal before it takes the cinnamon ( or what ever is powering that thing :) )
Screenshot from 2024-01-13 20-19-15.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2024-01-13, 23:12

@ LinuxNoob

FWIW. I hope it is not a graphics problem.

You're using Mint 21.2 (Victoria). The newest release for Mint is 21.3 (Virginia) and it was released earlier this week. You might want to try it out with linux Pale Moon and hopefully it solves your problem.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

And here is another choice. You could always try MX Linux 23.1 (Libretto).

https://mxlinux.org/download-links/
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2024-01-14, 16:04

First of all what I wanna say is that I've been using a 2009-model notebook (Samsung NP-R580) with Intel Core2Duo i5 M460 since 2019, running Linux Mint 19.2 x64 and Pale Moon. Kernel is 5.0.0-31. Extremely rarely have I had any troubles with Pale Moon, and seldom was any crash involved, less so the entire desktop. Yes, I am running Cinnamon too.

So, my bet would be on the new Mint versions which have already taken all the fun out of the user experience. Personally will not go further than this 19.2 - not even to 19.3 which already downgraded certain features.

Depending on your intended usage of that laptop and your take on security you may wanna try an older version of Mint - although support for 19.x has ended and I don't think there's much to find update-wise for it. But since you mentioned you wanted to try newest things I guess that might not be convenient for you. I for one realized there's always a time when a line has to be drawn. My system works just fine with Pale Moon 32.5.2. And 'new' is severely overrated nowadays. ;)
Screenshot from 2024-01-14 17-53-59.png
Now, for your problem you could try looking towards the end of .xsession-errors (hidden file!) in your home dir, see if there's any mention of palemoon and/or anything hinting to the reason of the crash. But first of all make sure the Pale Moon installation was correct, maybe try unpacking/reinstalling it.
Also you could try Steven Pusser's version, it may work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LinuxNoob

Unread post by LinuxNoob » 2024-01-14, 19:47

Night Wing wrote:
2024-01-13, 23:12
@ LinuxNoob

FWIW. I hope it is not a graphics problem.

You're using Mint 21.2 (Victoria). The newest release for Mint is 21.3 (Virginia) and it was released earlier this week. You might want to try it out with linux Pale Moon and hopefully it solves your problem.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

And here is another choice. You could always try MX Linux 23.1 (Libretto).

https://mxlinux.org/download-links/
the thing is it could be a GPU problem, but missing features of a kind (integrated intel graphics). On windows i was able to even play League Of Legends with this gpu (30 fps), but if i wanted to look up some place on google maps, the driver reported crash black screen, then back on with browser reloading the page and then worked fine :/ was able to see the map (happened every time)
also some web games with webGL2 didn't work
and there was a weird glitch on webgl1 where whole screen would be mirrored diagonaly but it was only on firefox
on chrome and chrome based browsers (Opera) everything was fine (except the map > graphics drivers restart thingy)

what makes it more strange is that other browsers like firefox and chrome work fine, on linux mint ( except the webgl2 support guess graphic card got it's peak in the past ) even the web (browser from gnome team) seems to work fine (more laggy then Firefox )
was hoping to have palemoon as a testing browser for web development tutorials since there doesn't seem anything with webkit / khtml engine except palemoon and Web(gnome) (may be ? don't know if they still on webkit/khtml )

yesterday just updated to 21.3 (scary thing, during update got error but it automagicaly rolled the update back and i try again without any errors )
but the palemoon crash cinnamon thing persists even with --safe-mode,

gonna try redownload the browser as Drugwash suggested
Drugwash wrote:
2024-01-14, 16:04
Now, for your problem you could try looking towards the end of .xsession-errors (hidden file!) in your home dir, see if there's any mention of palemoon and/or anything hinting to the reason of the crash. But first of all make sure the Pale Moon installation was correct, maybe try unpacking/reinstalling it.
Also you could try Steven Pusser's version, it may work.
thank you very much for the suggestion, gonna try redownload the browser, and also try the suggested version
but if that doesn't work i guess gonna call it quit :/ other browsers seem to work fine (FF and allEatingMemoryChrome) so at least the most used browsers are covered

may be it will help someone (i'm bamboozled by it and it seems all the info is only after the xsession is loaded up again which happens automaticaly after the crash :/)
so gonna leave the xsession-error log file here

dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DISPLAY=:0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XAUTHORITY=/home/a/.Xauthority
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/30x11-common_xresources: line 16: has_option: command not found
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/75dbus_dbus-launch: line 9: has_option: command not found
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/90x11-common_ssh-agent: line 9: has_option: command not found
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting SHELL=/bin/bash
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-cinnamon:/etc/xdg
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LANGUAGE=en_US
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting MANDATORY_PATH=/usr/share/gconf/cinnamon.mandatory.path
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LC_ADDRESS=cs_CZ.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LC_NAME=cs_CZ.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DESKTOP_SESSION=cinnamon
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LC_MONETARY=cs_CZ.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting PWD=/home/a
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=cinnamon
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LOGNAME=a
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GPG_AGENT_INFO=/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent:0:1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_GREETER_DATA_DIR=/var/lib/lightdm-data/a
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LD_PRELOAD=libgtk3-nocsd.so.0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GDM_LANG=en_US
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting HOME=/home/a
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting IM_CONFIG_PHASE=1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LANG=en_US.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LC_PAPER=cs_CZ.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GTK_CSD=0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting CLUTTER_IM_MODULE=ibus
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_CLASS=user
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LC_IDENTIFICATION=cs_CZ.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DEFAULTS_PATH=/usr/share/gconf/cinnamon.default.path
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting USER=a
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting SHLVL=1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LC_TELEPHONE=cs_CZ.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LC_MEASUREMENT=cs_CZ.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting PAPERSIZE=a4
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LC_TIME=cs_CZ.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GTK3_MODULES=xapp-gtk3-module
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share/gnome:/usr/share/cinnamon:/usr/share/gnome:/home/a/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share:/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting PATH=/home/a/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GDMSESSION=cinnamon
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LC_NUMERIC=cs_CZ.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting _=/usr/bin/dbus-update-activation-environment
cinnamon-session[10029]: WARNING: t+0.03523s: Could not read /etc/xdg/autostart/indicator-application.desktop: Could not parse desktop file indicator-application.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
[cinnamon-settings-daemon-smartcard] Failed to start: no suitable smartcard driver could be found
[cinnamon-settings-daemon-smartcard] Failed to start: no suitable smartcard driver could be found
Gjs-Message: 20:16:32.154: Profiler is disabled. Not setting up signals.
Gjs-Message: 20:16:32.417: JS LOG: About to start Cinnamon (X11 backend)
Gjs-Message: 20:16:32.498: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Cinnamon.AppSystem.get_default() started in 77 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:32.503: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] loading user theme: /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y-Dark-Purple/cinnamon/cinnamon.css
Gjs-Message: 20:16:32.532: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] added icon directory: /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y-Dark-Purple/cinnamon
Gjs-Message: 20:16:32.728: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] loaded at Sun Jan 14 2024 20:16:32 GMT+0100 (Central European Standard Time)
Gjs-Message: 20:16:32.728: JS LOG: Cinnamon started at Sun Jan 14 2024 20:16:32 GMT+0100 (Central European Standard Time)
Gjs-Message: 20:16:32.750: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] ExtensionSystem started in 1 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:32.751: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] DeskletManager started in 2 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:32.751: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] SearchProviderManager started in 1 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:32.875: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet separator@cinnamon.org in 50 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:32.885: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Role locked: tray
Gjs-Message: 20:16:32.890: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet systray@cinnamon.org in 14 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:32.907: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet favorites@cinnamon.org in 16 ms

(process:10303): accountsservice-CRITICAL **: 20:16:32.953: _act_user_update_from_object_path: assertion 'ACT_IS_USER (user)' failed

(process:10303): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 20:16:32.954: invalid uninstantiatable type '(null)' in cast to 'GObject'

(process:10303): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 20:16:32.954: g_object_set_data: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Gjs-Message: 20:16:32.964: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet expo@cinnamon.org in 57 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:33.046: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet windows-quick-list@cinnamon.org in 67 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:33.286: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet removable-drives@cinnamon.org in 239 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:33.504: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Role locked: notifications
Gjs-Message: 20:16:33.620: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet notifications@cinnamon.org in 334 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:33.733: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet printers@cinnamon.org in 113 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:33.824: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet cornerbar@cinnamon.org in 91 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:33.978: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet keyboard@cinnamon.org in 151 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:34.393: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet calendar@cinnamon.org in 408 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:34.517: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet xapp-status@cinnamon.org in 124 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:34.557: JS LOG: calendar@cinnamon.org: Calendar events supported.
Gjs-Message: 20:16:34.661: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet power@cinnamon.org in 126 ms
cinnamon-session[10029]: WARNING: t+6.61420s: Detected that screensaver has appeared on the bus
** Message: 20:16:34.732: nemo-desktop: session is cinnamon, establishing proxy
Gjs-Message: 20:16:34.817: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Role locked: panellauncher
Gjs-Message: 20:16:34.825: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Role locked: windowattentionhandler
Gjs-Message: 20:16:34.834: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet grouped-window-list@cinnamon.org in 173 ms

** (csd-power:10185): CRITICAL **: 20:16:35.048: abs_to_percentage: assertion 'max > min' failed
Gjs-Message: 20:16:35.211: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet Sensors@claudiux in 377 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:35.251: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Adding XAppStatusIcon: nm-applet (:1.168/org/x/StatusIcon/Icon)
Gjs-Message: 20:16:35.388: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet sound@cinnamon.org in 177 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:35.473: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Hiding XAppStatusIcon (we have an applet): nm-applet (:1.168/org/x/StatusIcon/Icon)
Gjs-Message: 20:16:35.494: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet network@cinnamon.org in 106 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:35.837: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet menu@cinnamon.org in 343 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:35.838: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] AppletManager started in 3107 ms
Gjs-Message: 20:16:35.847: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Cinnamon took 3430 ms to start
Gjs-Message: 20:16:35.884: JS LOG: Unknown network device type, is 14
Gjs-Message: 20:16:36.102: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] GPU offload supported: false

(tracker-miner-fs-3:10309): Tracker-CRITICAL **: 20:16:36.227: Could not request DBus name 'org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files': D-Bus service name:'org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files' is already taken, perhaps the application is already running?
Gjs-Message: 20:16:37.208: JS LOG: Enabling WindowAttentionHandler
Gjs-Message: 20:16:38.698: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Adding XAppStatusIcon: sticky (:1.181/org/x/StatusIcon/Icon)
mint-common (WARN): Error finding themes for flatpak: Can't fetch summary from disabled remote ‘smplayer-origin’
mint-common (WARN): Error finding themes for flatpak: Can't fetch summary from disabled remote ‘smplayer-origin’
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1379: DeprecationWarning: Gdk.threads_init is deprecated
  Gdk.threads_init()
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1764: DeprecationWarning: Gdk.threads_enter is deprecated
  Gdk.threads_enter()
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:803: DeprecationWarning: Gdk.threads_leave is deprecated
  Gdk.threads_leave()
Gjs-Message: 20:16:56.146: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Adding XAppStatusIcon: mintUpdate.py (:1.187/org/x/StatusIcon/Icon)
cinnamon-session[10029]: WARNING: t+36.63394s: Detected that screensaver has left the bus

** (zeitgeist-datahub:10513): WARNING **: 20:17:13.212: zeitgeist-datahub.vala:210: Error during inserting events: GDBus.Error:org.gnome.zeitgeist.EngineError.InvalidArgument: Incomplete event: interpretation, manifestation and actor are required
Gjs-Message: 20:17:27.290: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Adding XAppStatusIcon: mintreport (:1.194/org/x/StatusIcon/Icon)
Gjs-Message: 20:17:27.301: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Adding XAppStatusIcon: process-monitor (:1.194/org/x/StatusIcon/Icon_1)
================================================= EDIT =====================================================

Steven Pusser's version also crashes
also redownloaded both linux versions GTK2 and GTK3, still crashes with --safe-mode option
checked the sha256 hash, is OK ( also the older archives seemed OK )

don't know what is going on but guess the stars (Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller <> Cinnamon Linux Mint 21.3 <> PaleMoon 32.5.2 ) ain't aligned :silent:
so gonna call it quit :(

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2024-01-14, 20:50

LinuxNoob wrote:
2024-01-14, 19:47
it seems all the info is only after the xsession is loaded up again which happens automaticaly after the crash
Ah, my bad, should've been .xsession-errors.old not .xsession-errors. :oops: The latter documents current session while the former documents previous session. If there's anything it should be in the former.

Thing is, if you had similar crashing problems even in Windows then that could also be a hint for some hardware issue. If I were you I'd fire up some live distro and use the built-in MemTest86+ to check the RAM, just to be sure. I've seen weirdness there, an apparently good stick that errored out only on a single pattern out of all possible tests. Such thing could create incredibly weird problems. Anyway, it's just a thought.

If you do have some spare time it would be a shame not to pursue the issue, if only out of curiosity and maybe in view of any future testing. If not then... sorry it didn't work out.

LinuxNoob

Unread post by LinuxNoob » 2024-01-15, 19:09

Drugwash wrote:
2024-01-14, 20:50
LinuxNoob wrote:
2024-01-14, 19:47
it seems all the info is only after the xsession is loaded up again which happens automaticaly after the crash
Ah, my bad, should've been .xsession-errors.old not .xsession-errors. :oops: The latter documents current session while the former documents previous session. If there's anything it should be in the former.

Thing is, if you had similar crashing problems even in Windows then that could also be a hint for some hardware issue. If I were you I'd fire up some live distro and use the built-in MemTest86+ to check the RAM, just to be sure. I've seen weirdness there, an apparently good stick that errored out only on a single pattern out of all possible tests. Such thing could create incredibly weird problems. Anyway, it's just a thought.

If you do have some spare time it would be a shame not to pursue the issue, if only out of curiosity and maybe in view of any future testing. If not then... sorry it didn't work out.
It's ok, and thank you for trying to help

well, so i renamed old xsession-error logs so i can have them for comparison
but weirdly only the xsession-errors (not old) was created anew
but pasting the old xsession-errors.old anyway
may be someone will see something in it, coz i'm lost at what i am even looking at :silent: :lol:

with the memtest i recall that i was doing it like half a year ago and sometimes it failed sometimes it went without errors :eh: :problem:
was when i was looking to upgrade the memory in this old lappy , but sadly :( no memmory was compatible it just beeped out on every single one of them , even when "reseting" the cmos with removing the cmos battery for at least 10 sec ( the NB battery was removed coz it's no longer usable :silent: 15min max, and with the old rumors about exploding lenovo notebooks i'm little scared to put it back in whithout any supervision :geek: , so lappy only runs on power addapter )
but guess can't hurt to check it again if something ain't more broken then before :problem:

thank you anyway , thank you all for your help

.xsession-errors

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/30x11-common_xresources: line 16: has_option: command not found
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/90x11-common_ssh-agent: line 9: has_option: command not found
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-cinnamon:/etc/xdg
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session2
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting MANDATORY_PATH=/usr/share/gconf/cinnamon.mandatory.path
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GPG_AGENT_INFO=/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent:0:1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_GREETER_DATA_DIR=/var/lib/lightdm-data/a
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DEFAULTS_PATH=/usr/share/gconf/cinnamon.default.path
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share/gnome:/usr/share/cinnamon:/usr/share/gnome:/home/a/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share:/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting PATH=/home/a/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting _=/usr/bin/dbus-update-activation-environment
cinnamon-session[14371]: WARNING: t+0.03707s: Could not read /etc/xdg/autostart/indicator-application.desktop: Could not parse desktop file indicator-application.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
Gjs-Message: 19:55:32.581: Profiler is disabled. Not setting up signals.
Gjs-Message: 19:55:32.848: JS LOG: About to start Cinnamon (X11 backend)
Gjs-Message: 19:55:32.930: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Cinnamon.AppSystem.get_default() started in 77 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:32.935: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] loading user theme: /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y-Dark-Purple/cinnamon/cinnamon.css
Gjs-Message: 19:55:32.964: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] added icon directory: /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y-Dark-Purple/cinnamon
Gjs-Message: 19:55:33.161: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] loaded at Mon Jan 15 2024 19:55:33 GMT+0100 (Central European Standard Time)
Gjs-Message: 19:55:33.161: JS LOG: Cinnamon started at Mon Jan 15 2024 19:55:33 GMT+0100 (Central European Standard Time)
Gjs-Message: 19:55:33.183: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] ExtensionSystem started in 1 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:33.183: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] DeskletManager started in 1 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:33.184: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] SearchProviderManager started in 2 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:33.316: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet separator@cinnamon.org in 44 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:33.326: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Role locked: tray
Gjs-Message: 19:55:33.332: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet systray@cinnamon.org in 15 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:33.346: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet removable-drives@cinnamon.org in 14 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:33.362: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet favorites@cinnamon.org in 15 ms

(process:14639): accountsservice-CRITICAL **: 19:55:33.421: _act_user_update_from_object_path: assertion 'ACT_IS_USER (user)' failed

(process:14639): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 19:55:33.421: invalid uninstantiatable type '(null)' in cast to 'GObject'

(process:14639): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 19:55:33.421: g_object_set_data: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Gjs-Message: 19:55:33.523: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet expo@cinnamon.org in 153 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:33.676: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet windows-quick-list@cinnamon.org in 153 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:33.919: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Role locked: notifications
Gjs-Message: 19:55:34.028: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet notifications@cinnamon.org in 345 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:34.165: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet printers@cinnamon.org in 134 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:34.595: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet calendar@cinnamon.org in 419 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:34.682: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet xapp-status@cinnamon.org in 75 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:34.873: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet keyboard@cinnamon.org in 188 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:34.903: JS LOG: calendar@cinnamon.org: Calendar events supported.
cinnamon-session[14371]: WARNING: t+6.46293s: Detected that screensaver has appeared on the bus
Gjs-Message: 19:55:35.019: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet cornerbar@cinnamon.org in 128 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:35.084: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet power@cinnamon.org in 59 ms
** Message: 19:55:35.149: nemo-desktop: session is cinnamon, establishing proxy
Gjs-Message: 19:55:35.278: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Role locked: panellauncher
Gjs-Message: 19:55:35.283: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Role locked: windowattentionhandler
Gjs-Message: 19:55:35.294: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet grouped-window-list@cinnamon.org in 210 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:35.465: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Adding XAppStatusIcon: nm-applet (:1.159/org/x/StatusIcon/Icon)

** (csd-power:14521): CRITICAL **: 19:55:35.538: abs_to_percentage: assertion 'max > min' failed
Gjs-Message: 19:55:35.609: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet Sensors@claudiux in 310 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:35.779: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet sound@cinnamon.org in 170 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:35.825: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Hiding XAppStatusIcon (we have an applet): nm-applet (:1.159/org/x/StatusIcon/Icon)
Gjs-Message: 19:55:35.859: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet network@cinnamon.org in 79 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:36.222: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet menu@cinnamon.org in 363 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:36.224: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] AppletManager started in 3061 ms
Gjs-Message: 19:55:36.231: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Cinnamon took 3383 ms to start
Gjs-Message: 19:55:36.325: JS LOG: Unknown network device type, is 14
Gjs-Message: 19:55:36.586: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] GPU offload supported: false

(tracker-miner-fs-3:14643): Tracker-CRITICAL **: 19:55:36.707: Could not request DBus name 'org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files': D-Bus service name:'org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files' is already taken, perhaps the application is already running?
Gjs-Message: 19:55:36.940: JS LOG: Enabling WindowAttentionHandler
Gjs-Message: 19:55:39.489: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Adding XAppStatusIcon: sticky (:1.174/org/x/StatusIcon/Icon)
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1379: DeprecationWarning: Gdk.threads_init is deprecated
  Gdk.threads_init()
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1764: DeprecationWarning: Gdk.threads_enter is deprecated
  Gdk.threads_enter()
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:803: DeprecationWarning: Gdk.threads_leave is deprecated
  Gdk.threads_leave()
Gjs-Message: 19:55:56.724: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Adding XAppStatusIcon: mintUpdate.py (:1.180/org/x/StatusIcon/Icon)
cinnamon-session[14371]: WARNING: t+36.48564s: Detected that screensaver has left the bus

** (zeitgeist-datahub:14869): WARNING **: 19:56:13.962: zeitgeist-datahub.vala:210: Error during inserting events: GDBus.Error:org.gnome.zeitgeist.EngineError.InvalidArgument: Incomplete event: interpretation, manifestation and actor are required
Gjs-Message: 19:56:23.788: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Adding XAppStatusIcon: mintreport (:1.185/org/x/StatusIcon/Icon)
Gjs-Message: 19:56:23.805: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Adding XAppStatusIcon: process-monitor (:1.185/org/x/StatusIcon/Icon_1)
.xsession-errors.old "old"

dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0
cinnamon-session[1330]: WARNING: t+0.10124s: Could not read /etc/xdg/autostart/indicator-application.desktop: Could not parse desktop file indicator-application.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
Gjs-Message: 18:35:05.492: Profiler is disabled. Not setting up signals.
Gjs-Message: 18:35:05.876: JS LOG: About to start Cinnamon (X11 backend)
Gjs-Message: 18:35:06.104: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Cinnamon.AppSystem.get_default() started in 224 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:06.110: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] loading user theme: /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y-Dark-Purple/cinnamon/cinnamon.css
Gjs-Message: 18:35:06.141: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] added icon directory: /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y-Dark-Purple/cinnamon
Gjs-Message: 18:35:06.377: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] loaded at Mon Jan 15 2024 18:35:06 GMT+0100 (Central European Standard Time)
Gjs-Message: 18:35:06.377: JS LOG: Cinnamon started at Mon Jan 15 2024 18:35:06 GMT+0100 (Central European Standard Time)
Gjs-Message: 18:35:06.418: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] ExtensionSystem started in 1 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:06.418: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] DeskletManager started in 2 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:06.419: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] SearchProviderManager started in 2 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:06.558: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet separator@cinnamon.org in 28 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:06.568: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Role locked: tray
Gjs-Message: 18:35:06.573: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet systray@cinnamon.org in 15 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:06.594: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet favorites@cinnamon.org in 20 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:06.637: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet windows-quick-list@cinnamon.org in 38 ms

(process:1670): accountsservice-CRITICAL **: 18:35:06.695: _act_user_update_from_object_path: assertion 'ACT_IS_USER (user)' failed

(process:1670): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 18:35:06.696: invalid uninstantiatable type '(null)' in cast to 'GObject'

(process:1670): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 18:35:06.696: g_object_set_data: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Gjs-Message: 18:35:06.886: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet xapp-status@cinnamon.org in 249 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:06.975: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Role locked: notifications
Gjs-Message: 18:35:07.113: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet notifications@cinnamon.org in 219 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:07.494: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet calendar@cinnamon.org in 380 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:07.559: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet printers@cinnamon.org in 65 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:07.752: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet keyboard@cinnamon.org in 192 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:07.820: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet expo@cinnamon.org in 58 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:07.972: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet cornerbar@cinnamon.org in 144 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:07.983: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet removable-drives@cinnamon.org in 11 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:08.154: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Role locked: panellauncher
Gjs-Message: 18:35:08.164: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Role locked: windowattentionhandler
Gjs-Message: 18:35:08.207: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet grouped-window-list@cinnamon.org in 223 ms
cinnamon-session[1330]: WARNING: t+7.76476s: Detected that screensaver has appeared on the bus
Gjs-Message: 18:35:08.366: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet power@cinnamon.org in 157 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:08.490: JS LOG: calendar@cinnamon.org: Calendar events supported.

** (csd-power:1536): CRITICAL **: 18:35:08.599: abs_to_percentage: assertion 'max > min' failed
** Message: 18:35:08.715: nemo-desktop: session is cinnamon, establishing proxy
Gjs-Message: 18:35:08.754: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Adding XAppStatusIcon: nm-applet (:1.57/org/x/StatusIcon/Icon)
Gjs-Message: 18:35:08.999: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet Sensors@claudiux in 633 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:09.102: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet sound@cinnamon.org in 102 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:09.191: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Hiding XAppStatusIcon (we have an applet): nm-applet (:1.57/org/x/StatusIcon/Icon)
Gjs-Message: 18:35:09.226: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet network@cinnamon.org in 123 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:09.634: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Loaded applet menu@cinnamon.org in 399 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:09.635: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] AppletManager started in 3255 ms
Gjs-Message: 18:35:09.643: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Cinnamon took 3766 ms to start
Gjs-Message: 18:35:09.672: JS LOG: Unknown network device type, is 14
Gjs-Message: 18:35:10.239: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] GPU offload supported: false

(tracker-miner-fs-3:1672): Tracker-CRITICAL **: 18:35:10.495: Could not request DBus name 'org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files': D-Bus service name:'org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files' is already taken, perhaps the application is already running?
Gjs-Message: 18:35:10.940: JS LOG: Enabling WindowAttentionHandler
Gjs-Message: 18:35:12.484: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Adding XAppStatusIcon: sticky (:1.78/org/x/StatusIcon/Icon)
  Gdk.threads_init()
  Gdk.threads_enter()
  Gdk.threads_leave()
Gjs-Message: 18:35:31.211: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Adding XAppStatusIcon: mintUpdate.py (:1.88/org/x/StatusIcon/Icon)
cinnamon-session[1330]: WARNING: t+37.78675s: Detected that screensaver has left the bus

** (zeitgeist-datahub:1943): WARNING **: 18:35:46.956: zeitgeist-datahub.vala:210: Error during inserting events: GDBus.Error:org.gnome.zeitgeist.EngineError.InvalidArgument: Incomplete event: interpretation, manifestation and actor are required
Gjs-Message: 18:35:57.387: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Adding XAppStatusIcon: mintreport (:1.92/org/x/StatusIcon/Icon)
Gjs-Message: 18:35:57.396: JS LOG: [LookingGlass/info] Adding XAppStatusIcon: process-monitor (:1.92/org/x/StatusIcon/Icon_1)
cinnamon-session[1330]: WARNING: t+606.80044s: Detected that screensaver has appeared on the bus
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mintcommon/installer/_flatpak.py:499: Warning: g_value_get_flags: assertion 'G_VALUE_HOLDS_FLAGS (value)' failed
  self.transaction.run(self.task.cancellable)
cinnamon-session[1330]: WARNING: t+636.82267s: Detected that screensaver has left the bus
cinnamon-session[1330]: WARNING: t+4384.74850s: Application 'cinnamon-settings-daemon-a11y-settings.desktop' killed by signal 1
cinnamon-session[1330]: WARNING: t+4384.75111s: Application 'cinnamon-settings-daemon-settings-remap.desktop' killed by signal 1
cinnamon-session[1330]: WARNING: t+4384.75143s: Application 'cinnamon-settings-daemon-print-notifications.desktop' killed by signal 1
cinnamon-session[1330]: WARNING: t+4384.75165s: Application 'cinnamon-settings-daemon-screensaver-proxy.desktop' killed by signal 1
cinnamon-session[1330]: WARNING: t+4384.75218s: Application 'cinnamon.desktop' killed by signal 15
cinnamon-session[1330]: WARNING: t+4384.75248s: App 'cinnamon.desktop' respawning too quickly
cinnamon-session[1330]: CRITICAL: t+4384.75299s: Unable to start session: A program required by the session failed to start. App ID: 'cinnamon.desktop'. Startup ID: '10e450a02bf8d48527170534010065267500000013300000'.
cinnamon-session[1330]: WARNING: t+4384.75466s: Application 'cinnamon-settings-daemon-color.desktop' killed by signal 15
cinnamon-session[1330]: WARNING: t+4384.76059s: Playing logout sound '/usr/share/mint-artwork/sounds/logout.ogg'
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyCannot open display: 
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyCannot open display: 
Cannot open display: 
cinnamon-session[1330]: WARNING: t+4386.03547s: Finished playing logout sound
cinnamon-session[1330]: WARNING: t+4386.03555s: Resuming logout sequence...

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2024-01-15, 23:33

LinuxNoob wrote:
2024-01-15, 19:09
with the memtest i recall that i was doing it like half a year ago and sometimes it failed sometimes it went without errors :eh: :problem:
was when i was looking to upgrade the memory in this old lappy , but sadly :( no memmory was compatible it just beeped out on every single one of them [...]
There are virtually identical memory sticks that only differ by the voltage they use. You may need special voltage memory. The label on them - if present - should provide enough info for a web search, maybe you find compatible parts voltage-wise.

If you do get random memtest errors now then there's no point in beating the OS. Either try to find/buy replacements, or at least clean the contacts carefully with a medium-soft pencil eraser, on both the socket and RAM stick(s). Make sure there are no debris left on either contacts (use a magnifying glass to inspect them).

Sorry if it sounds too technical, I've been dabbling in electronics for my whole life, I have a 'repair-anything-and-everything-if-possible' mind set. :D

As for the error files, I'm not that proficient in reading them, maybe someone else could take a look, see if there's anything suspicious.

LinuxNoob

Unread post by LinuxNoob » 2024-01-16, 21:31

Drugwash wrote:
2024-01-15, 23:33
LinuxNoob wrote:
2024-01-15, 19:09
was when i was looking to upgrade the memory in this old lappy , but sadly :( no memmory was compatible it just beeped out on every single one of them [...]
There are virtually identical memory sticks that only differ by the voltage they use. You may need special voltage memory. The label on them - if present - should provide enough info for a web search, maybe you find compatible parts voltage-wise.

If you do get random memtest errors now then there's no point in beating the OS. Either try to find/buy replacements, or at least clean the contacts carefully with a medium-soft pencil eraser, on both the socket and RAM stick(s). Make sure there are no debris left on either contacts (use a magnifying glass to inspect them).

Sorry if it sounds too technical, I've been dabbling in electronics for my whole life, I have a 'repair-anything-and-everything-if-possible' mind set. :D

As for the error files, I'm not that proficient in reading them, maybe someone else could take a look, see if there's anything suspicious.
well tested the memory 3times last night, there was a multi thread test and some "safe mode" (or 'fail safe' ?? :eh: ) test, so with normal default set up it should be 3times and no error on memory on any of the tests

<long-story>
the error i mentioned was during searching for memory upgrade my 2 x 2GB memory sticks with something higher, like half a year back
the notebook manual says it can handle 8 GB of memory but doesn't say if single or dual stick, so was testing different memory sticks, sadly only info in the manual is about 4GB DDR3-1067 SDRAM SO-DIMM (PC3-8500) ( could be the manual didn't know about upcoming 8 GB modules at the time of writing )
and more sadly the local PC parts seller got mostly dual stick ( paired ) memory modules but with higher frequency and different timings, lucky was able to return all the memory sticks so after first try and fail, I was looking for opened sticks but that lead me to suspicion that they could be damaged and i had no way of proving that , any way long , 4 day of trying and error and returning some modules to buy another modules ( even some that had description "compatible with apple" ) was unable to find any that would work, the lappy just peeped them out on the power on or didn't make the lappy run at all ,
after that i put the old memory back but there was an error on the mem test so i pull one memory stick out and tested them one by one, first memory stick error , second none , so i switched back the first one again and no error, then thought that the old mobo got so used to each setting of the stick that they need to be in the right order or something so swapped around but after second try every test was OK, so i was like meh and go with the flow
but still sad that wasn't able to upgrade to at least 8 GB
got lappy an ssd ( sadly too small , it's already full :p), and changed the mechanical hdd with the CD/DVD rom but the tray for the hdd doesn't have holes for the shield from the CD rom so it looks weird now, but well it's already without battery attached so it looks a little weirder :D )
but that is out of the topic :angel: :think:
</long-story>

anyway i kind of giving up on testing PaleMoon , may be in the future ... but i doubt it , nobody does a fix for older hardware and especially hard to replicate on newer devices crash

so thank you again for the help
i would close this thread but don't know how :angel:

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2024-01-16, 23:32

I hear you. Really. And I'm sorry for not being able to help. So memory seems to be OK as it is, that's fine. Who knows what could be the problem. Sometimes we just have to fold. Hope you find something good enough for you. Good luck! :thumbup: