[SOLVED] Horrific screen tearing

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

[SOLVED] Horrific screen tearing

Unread post by ron_1 » 2023-12-24, 18:53

Operating system: Linux Crowz (Devuan) 5, with Mate desktop
Browser version: 32.5.2
32-bit or 64-bit browser?: 64 bit

Okay, I decided to post this here even though I don't think it's a Pale Moon problem, even though it seems to only happen in Pale Moon. I'm getting horrific screen tearing. Yesterday I went from Linux Devuan 4 up to Devuan 5 (actually Crowz, but it's basically Devuan). In the past I fixed the tearing problem by doing this (and it always worked):
If experiencing screen tearing (mostly in browser) do this:

First make sure that "Enable software compositing . . ." in Control Center >> Windows, General tab, is not checked. Then, in /home/**/.config open compton.conf and change:

backend = "xrender";
#backend = "glx";

-to-

#backend = "xrender";
backend = "glx";

Then in Startup Applications, click Add, and fill in this:

Name: Compton
Command: compton -b
Comment: Compositor
So I did the first part inside of Control Center, and the last part, making compton a startup application. The problem is that now there are no such lines in the comptom.config file to change (and the file is also in a different place, but I don't see that making any difference). So I am at a loss as to how to fix this. Pale Moon's internal hardware acceleration makes little to no difference. I've also tried the "20-intel.conf" fix I found all over the internet, but that caused a booting problem and I had to delete that file. I also read somewhere I should have "firmware-misc-nonfree" installed, which I checked and I do.

Here's my graphics report:

Code: Select all

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics
    driver: i915 v: kernel
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
    unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: crocus gpu: i915 resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  API: EGL v: 1.5 drivers: crocus,swrast
    platforms: gbm,x11,surfaceless,device
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 vendor: intel mesa v: 22.3.6 renderer: Mesa Intel HD
    Graphics (HSW GT1)
Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this?
Last edited by ron_1 on 2023-12-24, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Horrific screen tearing

Unread post by ron_1 » 2023-12-24, 19:14

Well, after trying something that should have been obvious, it seems to have resolved itself. I ignored the compton.config file that was in a different place, and put a copy of the old config file I happened to save, with the changed lines, where I was told it was, and it seems to have worked. It only took me about 17 hours (minus sleep time) to think of this. Old age sucks. ;)