Performance

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Performance

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-12-21, 18:26

back2themoon wrote:
2023-12-21, 13:50
I remember talk about future plans (might have been Tobin) to improve multi-core performance?

(not to be confused with multi-process)
This is probably getting a little off-topic. but I think it was something we were all talking about off and on. But MC has been planning it for years, possibly even before he joined the team. The problem is that the web standards move too fast because of Chromium. Which... is probably why Mozilla sold out and became desperate to keep up by ditching most of what made it unique and made itself more Chrome-like. Obviously I can sympathize with why they did what they did, even if I don't like what they did. I'm not sure I wouldn't have done the same thing in their position.

In any case, though... if you are shopping for a computer to optimize Pale Moon performance, you want the best single-threaded performance you can get. Pale Moon also isn't the only application that is still in this weird situation where throwing more cores at it doesn't help much, and you need to try and maximize IPC and clockspeed instead. You'd be surprised how many things just don't benefit from modern CPU design, or can't be changed to take advantage of it. This was server-class technology until recently, and not all workloads for normal users can actually benefit from it. The best case would actually be if Intel would bring back unlocked quad-cores or even dual-cores... get all those extra dies out of the way and overclock a smaller number of cores as high as they will go. 8 cores just isn't going to help, 16 helps even less... sigh. I hate modern computers. They don't give us real performance improvements anymore, they just shove server-class technology from last generation in our faces and expect us to make do.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2023-12-21, 20:42

Off-topic:
The only real use I've found for multiple cores is it allows me to run three or four virtual machines at once. Too bad they're all stored on a single platter drive, though~
Big browsers have multiple teams to attack multiple fronts. This browser is in an odd position because of the fact it started off as a fork, it never really developed a creator-community or had hired employees as it was being written to "live" the codebase; it was just this big behemoth of mutated Netscape that suddenly has essentially a single owner and a minuscule core support team and splintered sub-support individuals (relative to the code's entire prior history). It's a miracle of human perseverance that it exists in its current state.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-12-21, 21:01

RealityRipple wrote:
2023-12-21, 20:42
it was just this big behemoth of mutated Netscape that suddenly has essentially a single owner and a minuscule core support team and splintered sub-support individuals (relative to the code's entire prior history)
Not for lack of trying, but people weren't interested and would rather go stale (Seamonkey) or go their own way (Waterfox) and in no small part due to a lot of griefing from a larger community who didn't understand what we were doing and/or drank the KoolAid™ (Firefox fan community at large). That weird environment did create a weird position.
RealityRipple wrote:
2023-12-21, 20:42
miracle of human perseverance
That's one way to call me stubborn ;-)
Seriously though there have been numerous times where I was very close to not continuing... Only to find that without this effort, there would only be corporate bullying left.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite