Can't open link from RSS reader in Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Doranwen
New to the forum
New to the forum

Can't open link from RSS reader in Pale Moon

Unread post by Doranwen » 2023-12-17, 18:33

Operating system: Linux Mint 21.2 Mate
Browser version: 32.5.1
32-bit or 64-bit browser?: 64-bit
Problem URL: any
Installed add-ons: I'm pretty sure addons aren't relevant here, as it's an issue of calling the browser correctly in the first place. The only addon that even deals with tabs is Tab Mix Plus and I have it set to Open links that open in a new window in a new tab instead, so it should handle it that way.

I'm using an RSS reader called Liferea. It allows for opening links in the default browser or an additionally configured one (I can manually include the parameters to call - with %s being used for the URL in the command). When I click on a link, with Pale Moon set as my default browser, the link does not open in Pale Moon, and I get this error:
"Pale Moon is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Pale Moon process, or restart your system."

There's actually no issue with Pale Moon not responding - it's working just fine for me to browse in. But it doesn't seem to know how to take the URL that's passed from Liferea to it and open it in a new tab. I've tried a couple options - like doing

Code: Select all

palemoon --new-tab %s
etc. Nothing works. It gives the same error every time. I've had to resort to copying and pasting the URL, which gets old. I know that the issue isn't with Liferea in general because it works fine with other browsers. It's just Pale Moon that won't handle it.

Any ideas what I need to tweak to make it actually open these links in a new tab? I can obviously tweak the command in Liferea as need be to test anything. I'm just fresh out of ideas.