SingleFile html file: Infobar link not opening Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

SingleFile html file: Infobar link not opening

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-11-27, 23:34

Not sure who is "at fault" here - I'll go ahead and describe. This worked as expected, but probably some SingleFile update earlier this year broke it on Pale Moon alone, so I'll post here first (could be a JavaScript-related issue I think).

This is about single .html files, generated by the popular SingleFile Firefox extension. I attach a saved .html file as an example - had to zip it to make it an acceptable attachment.

These files can optionally* include a helpful top-right Infobar (see end of post), to be used by browsers without SingleFile installed.

Correct display of this Infobar below. X closes it, the right button opens the original link.

Infobar1.png

Pale Moon displays this:

Infobar2.png
X is missing, but it's not a cosmetic issue. Clicking anywhere on the Infobar will close it, so everything acts as the X. Clicking on the link button will close the Infobar, and I see no way of accessing that link. The strange thing is that when hovering on the link button, the link is correctly displayed in the Status Bar. You just can't open or copy it.

(*required setting: SingleFile options/InfoBar/include the Infobar in the saved page)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

adoxa
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: SingleFile html file: Infobar link not opening

Unread post by adoxa » 2023-11-28, 06:35

The missing X is due to CSS appearance - using -moz-appearance instead almost makes it work (you get the X, but inside a box). Don't know why you can't click the link, possibly a problem with CSS :not(:focus-within) and shadow.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-09, 19:19

Issue #2401 (UXP)
I've been working on this and have a PR to merge into master for it, which should solve the focus issue.
As for appearance vs. -moz-appearance, we'll have to look at multiple of those sometime soon-ish as part of removing the vendor prefixes. It has to be done carefully though as websites will expect spec-compliant results for non-prefixed versions that may act differently. if the unprefixed versions aren't present they may fall back to better compatible code with prefix or to a polyfill, and we wouldn't want to break that if we can avoid it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-01-10, 00:14

Thank you! Yes, what you describe is intended behaviour.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-01-30, 22:41

I'm still considering this as solved since the important part of it now works as intended, however it seems the cosmetic side issue described in the first post remains. The X on the left is not displayed i.e. the box is empty as in the screenshot. You can verify it with the attached html file.

I am not sure it occurs on all situations. I tried a few saved html files I have and it does not appear. Funnily enough, the X does appear in the online example provided by the extension developer as a test case:

https://plnkr.co/edit/dqGmg22rRiRnsgyd?preview