Does this browser run games?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moizevitch
New to the forum
New to the forum

Does this browser run games?

Unread post by Moizevitch » 2023-10-22, 09:08

Hello. My first thread. I'm sorry if there are any errors. Well, I'm an old Chrome and Firefox user. However, they are giving me a lot of headaches due to their high memory consumption. So I'm trying to switch to that browser, hoping it won't cause me so much of a headache. However, there is a game (https://www.innogames.com/games/rise-of-cultures/) (https://am-game.riseofcultures.com/) that I am unable to run in this browser. It runs in other browsers, but not in this one. Can you help me with this, please? I've asked the game for help too, but their support is a joke, to say the least. I can't imagine what I could be doing wrong, since the procedure is the same. I would appreciate it if anyone is willing to help me. Thanks.

Operating system: Windows 10
Browser version: The last
32-bit or 64-bit browser?:64
Problem URL: Quoted in the text
Browser theme (if not default):default
Installed add-ons: none
Installed plugins: (about:plugins): none

If possible, please include the output of help->troubleshooting information (as text):
**PASTE troubleshooting information here**

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Does this browser run games?

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-10-22, 14:23

After clicking on the Hide button, the prompt appears which states; "PASTE troubleshooting information here".

Bottom line. You did not provide the trouble shooting information which was asked for.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-10-22, 15:09

Does Pale Moon run games? Well, the browser definitely runs a lot of games, especially older Flash games, if that's what you're asking. But as for the specific game you linked (Rise of Cultures), unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with Pale Moon.

It seems to depend on some kind of Chromium-specific features that have thus far only been replicated in Firefox. I attempted to play the game, pulled up the error console and saw these two things:

TypeError: t.$slides is null

TypeError: e is undefined

Night Wing is correct that you should have provided troubleshooting information so that we could narrow down the cause, and eliminate obvious things like add-ons that could be causing issues, etc, but in this particular case I was able to reproduce the issue immediately, and it's pretty clear that the website itself is having some kind of compatibility issue with the browser (rather than this being an issue with your installed add-ons or the system you're running on).

It just sits on the loading screen and the wheel spins forever, right?
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-10-22, 15:45

athenian200 wrote:
2023-10-22, 15:09
some kind of Chromium-specific features
You mean like access to your webcam?

Code: Select all

17:44:34.372 navigator.mediaDevices not supported by this browser. Webcam access will not be available. 1 3e4205244a2e4b214fc513102905dda8.js:570:3976
More important question: why does this game want camera access? Big red flag there.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-10-22, 16:09

Moonchild wrote:
2023-10-22, 15:45
More important question: why does this game want camera access? Big red flag there.
Wow, I didn't even see that because I was looking at the Error Console rather than the Browser Console... but yeah, maybe it's a good thing that game doesn't work on Pale Moon...
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2023-10-22, 21:46

My experience with Pale Moon is that for general browsing it is efficient and lightweight and so uses less memory, especially on sites that don't have many or complex scripts.

But for sites which have a lot of JavaScript (which would include most games) it uses a similar amount of memory as other browsers like Chrome etc. If a game needs to maintain a lot of data, has graphics, and big files of code to run the game, it's not like Pale Moon can somehow cleverly use less memory than the game needs or asks for.

When a game in Chrome requires a lot of memory, except for small differences, wouldn't it consume an equivalent amount of memory in Pale Moon?

So if you cannot add more memory to your computer, my tip is to stay with Chrome and instead use the 32 bit version. In my experience, the 32 bit version of any browser does use less memory than the default 64 bit install.

Scrolling to the bottom of the download page https://www.google.com/chrome/, there is the Other Platforms link and clicking on that you can find 32 bit versions of Chrome.

Doing that and closing other tabs and programs when playing the game will help with memory shortages.
Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.

Moizevitch
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by Moizevitch » 2023-11-25, 21:12

Thank you everyone for your help and attention.

And, I'm sorry for the excessive delay in responding!!

Well, what happens, is that after failing to get the game to run in that browser, I tried it in Edge. And it didn't work, either. There, the problem is excessive CPU consumption, which made trying to play unfeasible.

I then complained to game support. And they got back to me saying that the game was not supported for some browsers. In other words, it would not run on Pale Moon or Edge.

So, for now, I'm stuck with Chrome, where this game runs.

I really appreciate for your time and dedication, once again.

Thanks. :thumbup:

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2023-11-25, 23:07

You don't mind that the game wants access to your webcam? :shock:
At the very least, if you're going to play the game, put a pieced of electrical tape or something over the lens.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-11-28, 16:06

Pale Moon happily plays the modern and popular Vampire Survivors game. :D

https://poncle.itch.io/vampire-survivors

I know this looks like a spam post for the game. That is not how this in intended. There are plenty of excellent browser-based games that Pale Moon runs just fine. I'd assume the overwelming majority actually.

And don't forget this classic: https://browserquest.fandom.com/wiki/BrowserQuest

I'm very curious why OP didn't ask about the web-cam access... :shock:

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2023-12-02, 19:10

athenian200 wrote:
2023-10-22, 15:09
the browser definitely runs a lot of games, especially older Flash games
In this case, it's technically the Flash Player doing the heavy work.

While my personal reference sample is small, Pale Moon and even Firefox struggle in running some ports of the old "serious" games to web browsers. For example, Doom 3 demo at https://wasm.continuation-labs.com/d3demo/, this one is rather heavy and I guess even the original id Tech 4 engine running Doom 3 natively outside of web browser is not the speediest, the subsequent BFG Edition tends to be more performant. This one is based on the dhewm3 fork of the original source code release.

Or Quake III demo at http://www.quakejs.com/, this site hosts a web browser port of forked id Tech 3 engine called ioquake3, a version from 2014.

Chromium handles both significantly better, Quake III's frame-rate practically doesn't fall below 60 FPS on my machine, even when there's a lot of action going on, at least as much as can be with 5 bots on the map. I only tried Vanilla Q3 mode so far.

In Doom 3, I picked the spot on the left after exiting the first elevator you ride and positioning myself in the corner on the left, looking at the guard across. 11 FPS in Pale Moon, about 38 FPS in Chromium. That's a big difference in terms how many milliseconds it took to compose a frame. I ran it at my screen's native resolution 1920x1080, also used this script to add the button for switching to fullscreen, the in-game option doesn't really do it:

Code: Select all

// ==UserScript==
// @name        d3wasm fullscreen
// @namespace   https://github.com/UCyborg
// @description Adds a button for activating fullscreen mode in d3wasm demo.
// @match       https://wasm.continuation-labs.com/d3demo/
// @version     1.0
// @author      UCyborg
// @grant       none
// ==/UserScript==

'use strict';

(function() {
  let em = document.querySelector('div.emscripten:nth-child(3)');
  let br = document.createElement('br');
  let b = document.createElement('button');
  b.setAttribute('onclick', "document.getElementById('canvas').requestFullscreen();");
  b.appendChild(document.createTextNode('Fullscreen'));
  em.insertAdjacentElement('beforeend', br);
  em.insertAdjacentElement('beforeend', b);
})();
Another one is old Counter-Strike at https://play-cs.com/, though this one is not exactly legal (those Russians!). Besides lower-than optimal performance, this one even shows a bug in Pale Moon, at least on my end, it doesn't seem to detect scrolling mouse wheel up or down.

In either case, all of these are asking a lot out of a mere web browser and some overhead and lower-than-native performance is to be expected, but Chromium is distinctly less bogged down than other available browsers.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-12-02, 21:10

All this is just overkill, stuffing shit into a web browser that has no business being there. NPAPI plugins were made for this purpose - to handle non web content and Flash did the job great. Google wants to turn Chrome into a VM for web delivered 'apps' and end the document focused design of the web that was there from the start.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX