Manage unresponsive XUL extensions

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Manage unresponsive XUL extensions

Unread post by dapgo » 2023-09-18, 08:18

Operating system: Windows
Browser version: PM 32.x
Installed add-ons: Reminderfox

Sometimes a XUl extension (Reminderfox) gets unresponsive during the sync process, making the browser 99% unresponsive too.

Is there anyway to close only the extension while keeping PM open?
I tried to kill XUL threads but the browser got closed too?
Can the priority of a extension get reduced so an issue or bad performance don't impact on the browser?

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Manage unresponsive XUL extensions

Unread post by vannilla » 2023-09-18, 09:17

Extensions operate at the same level of the browser, meaning that once installed the two things are basically the same and there is no visible separation.
The best course of action is identifying the issue within the extension and fix it.

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2023-09-18, 10:41

And is there any possibility to modify Palemoon to have more control over the XUL engine or the execution of extensions?

If it was not done time ago, probably there are technical reasons to don't do but I am curious about it.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-09-18, 11:39

For something like ReminderFox, I think you could actually install the extension into a different XUL application so it doesn't bog down Pale Moon. Since it doesn't really need to modify web page documents within Pale Moon to work, all you need is something that will make the ReminderFox window appear so it can do things. Just leave the other XUL application running in the background and have the ReminderFox window up, that way if ReminderFox crashes again, it takes down the other application and not Pale Moon.

Not sure if this is the kind of solution you wanted, but it is the first workaround that comes to mind...
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-09-18, 22:46

athenian200 wrote:
2023-09-18, 11:39
install the extension into a different XUL application
Since those are rare, here's the easiest way: Create a separate profile and install ReminderFox (and nothing else) on it. While using your main profile, open about:profiles in a new tab and from there you can launch the new profile, which will be a separate browser instance and won't slow down your main one.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

ag0044
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by ag0044 » 2023-09-19, 10:12

To take up athenian200's suggestion about using another XUL application, s/he was much too modest to suggest that you try using ReminderFox in Epyrus, athenian200's email client.

I've used ReminderFox for many years, and it works perfectly in Epyrus (up to and including the latest version), as it did in Thunderbird, FossaMail, etc.
Usually, I'm wrong. But, sometimes, I'm right.
Usually, I'm Left. But, sometimes, I'm Right.
Usually, I'm left-handed. But, sometimes, I'm right-handed.

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2023-09-19, 11:40

Does ReminderFox rely on any browser-specific feature? I'm thinking of researching a XULRunner revival once I'm done with my application.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2023-09-20, 21:21

What were you trying to sync? Why do you need to use Reminderfox while synchronizing?

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-09-21, 00:56

mrnhmath wrote:
2023-09-19, 11:40
Does ReminderFox rely on any browser-specific feature? I'm thinking of researching a XULRunner revival once I'm done with my application.
Nope. Honestly, it would be a great candidate for XULRunner if that were still a thing.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind