login form user/passwd not detected by logins

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: login form user/passwd not detected by logins

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-12-27, 22:28

suzyne wrote:
2023-12-27, 21:19
Currently I have around 490 passwords associated with websites
It's amazing.
Of course, I visit many sites, but registering on each one is incomprehensible to me. Just to login on each one for a month, you need to login on more than 10 different sites a day. And the next day - another 10 sites, etc. I can't imagine any activity or hobby that would require this. Perhaps it’s a hobby of “registering on sites.” :D

cannonmc
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by cannonmc » 2023-12-28, 12:12

I've only just seen this thread and noticed no-one seemed to mention 'private browsing'.

In private browsing PM won't remember new passwords (old stored ones are fine).

So when I sign-in to a new site I come out of private browsing, sign-in to site, get 'Remember' box, click OK. Set back to private browsing. after a restart everything is fine.

Hope I'm not teaching granny to suck eggs.

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2024-03-01, 14:05

suzyne wrote:
2023-12-27, 21:19
I don't have Firefox installed so can't compare the effectiveness of Pale Moon verses it, but registering on a new site around once a year sounds unusual to me.

Maybe not every few days, but easily once a week I will store a new site and password pair. Currently I have around 490 passwords associated with websites, and certainly with my online purchasing for the holiday season that number was boosted quite a bit recently. I think it is probably difficult to assume what is typical only based on one's own behaviour?
exactly, people managing part of their lives online are on a continuous need of creating accounts.
From the government, to shopping, to service contracts, and so on...

Today i have a problem with PM logins again, i go to login on a service where i have account and password saved, and PM offers a dropdown list with 9 emails/username for for the field "Username or Email".

As i don't know which can be the good one, I check login on PM and I realize that:
  • PM login has URL https://accounts.domain.com
  • whereas service url is https://login.domain.com
  • and field names on PM login and field name on the page are the same id; "username" and "password"

The i select the good email from the list BUT nothing is populated on "password" field :wtf:

Then
I modify the pM logins to fit the URL to https://login.domain.com
Reload the page
The dropdownlist offers email/usernames
I pick the good one
The password field is populated and the login in successful

Why the dropdown is offereing these 9 usernames? ( I have much more than 9 usernames in my logins)
Shouldn't they be ordered by match with the domain?

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2024-03-13, 18:08

feedback from other users, please

Have you ever seen a dropdown list containing usernames/emails that don't belong to the logins stored for an specific page?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-03-13, 18:23

Yes that can happen when you have nothing stored as it will fall back to standard form history in that case, which is not site-bound, to help you fill in data.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2024-03-20, 11:32

Moonchild wrote:
2024-03-13, 18:23
Yes that can happen when you have nothing stored as it will fall back to standard form history in that case, which is not site-bound, to help you fill in data.
What about when you HAVE a login stored?
Because it happens in some page logins, then you go to stored logins and there is an entry for this domain.

I can start creating a list of site logins where it happens.
But i am really surprised if other users are not suffering the same case.

Because I saw the same lack of feedback before; regarding not recognized input fields; no other user confirmed the "behaviour/problem". But when i did complete with a new install/profile then behavior was then same and the "problem" global.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-03-20, 13:07

Are you sure the actual host/URL is the same stored in the password manager? because they are not stored "by domain" as that would not be granular enough. http/https matters, exact host name matters.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite