Visual Artefact When layout.css.devPixelsPerPx = 1.2

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Visual Artefact When layout.css.devPixelsPerPx = 1.2

Unread post by suzyne » 2023-07-27, 10:51

In a bookmarks bar menu, when devPixelsPerPx is set to 1.2, there is a visual effect of horizontal lines as the mouse cursor is moved up and down the menu, the lines change thickness and colour or multiply with each movement of the mouse. The horizontal lines disappear when the cursor is moved off the menu.

This was tested on a new install, and the image below best explains how this looks.

Operating system: Win 10 64-bit
Browser version: 32.3.1
32-bit or 64-bit browser?: 64
Problem URL: n/a
Browser theme (if not default): none
Installed add-ons: none
Installed plugins: (about:plugins): default
Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Visual Artefact When layout.css.devPixelsPerPx = 1.2

Unread post by Blacklab » 2023-07-27, 11:30

On a clean new Pale Moon 32.3.1 profile running on Windows 7 and on Windows 10 not seeing your described problem with the Bookmarks Menu when about:config preference 'layout.css.devPixelsPerPx' set to 1.2

PS. FWIW - My default Pale Moon profile on Windows 10 always has pref 'layout.css.devPixelsPerPx' set to 1.25... and no problems seen with the Bookmarks Menu display... however, as this profile has several Bookmarks Menu CSS userstyles in use that remove unnecessary items from the menu list... so, probably not a safe comparison. :)
Last edited by Blacklab on 2023-07-27, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2023-07-27, 11:46

That's curious, it happens on both my computers, and I just noticed that the effect also occurs in the pop-up menu when right-clicking on a page.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2023-07-27, 11:50

Also not seeing that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2023-07-27, 12:52

not seeing this either, but then I am using the "The Good 'ol Sidebar" for all my bookmark needs...The normal bookmarks bar looks much as I remember it; same, same.
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-07-27, 14:31

This will depend on several factors, not in the least your screen resolution, drivers in use, and any system scaling you may already be doing.
You can probably work around this by making a small adjustment to the devpixelsperpx as it seems to be a simple rounding issue. Using a different theme may also work around this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2023-07-27, 21:34

Moonchild wrote:
2023-07-27, 14:31
You can probably work around this by making a small adjustment to the devpixelsperpx as it seems to be a simple rounding issue. Using a different theme may also work around this.
I always have Windows set to 100%, and prefer to scale each application that I use separately (if possible), but the idea of finding a devpixelsperpx that just happens to work sounds simplest, although I might try a different theme too.

Thanks for for the suggestions, if I don't solve it, I will get by with living with what is a minor cosmetic issue.

EDIT: What I have found is that with layout.css.devPixelsPerPx = 1.24 there is a sweet spot where the problem still happens but is much less pronounced. Also I tried a few themes and, yes, for some of them the problem completely disappears!

EDIT EDIT: Okay, trying out the themes has been fun, and I tested Maxi4 and even ignoring whether it solves the artefact problem or not, this is one beautiful light theme. Thank you @lootyhoof for the excellent work! This is now my default look. (And by the way it does solve the visual issue, so that is a bonus.)

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-07-28, 00:59

Blacklab wrote:
2023-07-27, 11:30
however, as this profile has several Bookmarks Menu CSS userstyles in use that remove unnecessary items from the menu list... so, probably not a safe comparison. :)
I'd love to see your example CSS since I have been looking to modify the bookmark menu as far back as this thread from 2016: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11569

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2023-07-28, 17:04

Off-topic:
BenFenner wrote:I'd love to see your example CSS since I have been looking to modify the bookmark menu as far back as this thread from 2016: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11569
Hmm, apologies... very busy elsewhere during 2016 so obviously missed your previous 'Allow users to hide Bookmarks sections they don't use' topic. :(

Pity you never came across old Firefox extension 'BookmarkMenuHider' which worked perfectly until maybe Pale Moon v29. It is still available in JustOff's 'Classic Add-ons Archive' (CAA)... but sadly no longer works... it will install, but then throws an error... not investigated why.

The 'Menu Wizard' extension suggested in a reply to your 2016 topic is still available from SeaMonkey's extension list... tested a couple of versions today... loads, but certainly doesn't work with the Bookmarks Menu in Pale Moon AFAICS? Didn't test any of Menu Wizard's other options.

Anyway, it's easy enough to remove whatever you don't want from the Bookmarks Menu using the ordinary right-click 'delete' function for some items... and then CSS usertyles to remove those items that can't be deleted... see below: :)
Screenshot below is a new Pale Moon 32.3.1 profile with the Bookmarks Menu minimised and the URL/Address Box altered using 3 x CSS userstyles... all added using Lootyhoof's excellent 'Stylem v2.2.9' extension. :thumbup:

Pale Moon 32.3.1 - Bookmarks Menu minimised with 3 x CSS userstyles.png
Pale Moon 32.3.1 - Bookmarks Menu minimised with 3 x CSS userstyles

1. Bookmarks Menu - Hide Unwanted Items.
(Extract of 'cor-el's' comprehensive answer at bottom of this 2011 SUMO topic 'How do I customize the bookmarks menu...')
(Note: 'Bookmark This Page' item has been retained as the usual Bookmark Star in URL/Address Box is removed by CSS userstyle No 2.)

Code: Select all

/* --- Bookmarks Menu - Hide Unwanted Items --- */

/* Set default namespace to XUL - @namespace line required for correct functioning */
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); 

/* CSS userstyle by 'cor-el' in reply to Mozilla Support Q&A Sept 2011 */
/* From: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/877124 */
/* Note: 'Bookmark This Page' item has been retained as Bookmark Star removed from URL/Address Box */

#BMB_viewBookmarksToolbar, #BMB_viewBookmarksToolbar+menuseparator,
#BMB_bookmarksShowAll, #BMB_bookmarksShowAll+menuseparator,
/* #BMB_bookmarkThisPage, */
#BMB_subscribeToPageMenuitem,
#BMB_subscribeToPageMenupopup, #BMB_subscribeToPageMenupopup+menuseparator,
#BMB_bookmarksToolbar, #BMB_bookmarksToolbar+menuseparator,
#BMB_bookmarksPopup menuseparator[builder="end"],
#BMB_unsortedBookmarks 
{ 
  display: none !important; 
}

2. URL/Address Box - Remove Items.

/* --- URL/Address Box - Remove Items --- */

/* Set default namespace to XUL - @namespace line required for correct functioning */
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); 

/* URL/Address Box - Remove Bookmark Star */
#star-button { display: none !important; }

/* URL/Address Box - Remove History Dropdown Arrow */
.autocomplete-history-dropmarker, .dropmarker-icon { display: none !important; }

/* URL/Address Box - Hide RSS Feed icon */
#ub-feed-button, #ub-feed-button { display: none !important; }

/* Alternatively use 'Hide RSS Feed' option in Moonchild's 'Pale Moon Commander' extension */
/* 'User Interface' tab > General > Address Bar > untick 'Display the feed indicator in the address bar' */

3. Keyboard Shortcuts in Menus - Don't display.
(Notes: This allows the main Bookmarks Menu drop-down list to become as narrow as possible. A browser restart is needed to shrink the Bookmarks Menu's width. This userstyle also removes the keyboard shortcut prompts from all other UI menus e.g. App Menu/Pale Moon button menu.)

/* --- Keyboard Shortcuts in Menus - Don't display --- */

.menu-iconic-accel, .menu-accel { display: none !important; }

(Note: The number of 'Recent Bookmarks' can be adjusted to suit using a hidden pref... see Moonchild's reply in 2020 topic 'Configure Smart Bookmarks Folders (i.e. Recently Bookmarked))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-08-02, 15:50

I've been meaning to reply.
Thank you for all of that. I will work through it when I have time and I'm excited to see what I can come up with.
Cheers!

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-10-02, 14:58

Off-topic:
I finally got a chance to work on hiding Bookmark Toolbar items I'm not interested in using the helpful post by Blacklab above. After 7 years I finally have the trim bookmarks menu I've always wanted. The code above was not current or didn't work for me, but I managed to find the right UI element IDs (and in one case just a class, no ID).

Here is what I ended up with for my userChrome.css file:

/* --- Bookmarks Menu - Hide Unwanted Items --- */
/* Inspired by: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30106&p=241682#p241696 */

#subscribeToPageMenuitem,
#subscribeToPageMenupopup,
#bookmarksToolbarFolderMenu,
#bookmarksToolbarSeparator,
#menu_unsortedBookmarks,
.hide-if-empty-places-result
{ 
  display: none !important;
}
Off-topic:
I'm quoting Moonchild here so he'll get pinged by the forum:
Moonchild wrote:
2023-07-27, 14:31
Do you mind unlocking this thread from 2016 so I can post my resolution there?

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2023-10-03, 03:00

Off-topic:

Glad you fixed your bookmarks menu items to suit! :D

BTW - There's one Pale Moon Bookmarks Menu curiosity...

On every other Firefox-based browser from Basilisk to the very latest Firefox/LibreWolf v118 all their Bookmarks Menu dropdowns will 'flip outside' of the browser window to the left (always providing there's sufficient desktop window space for the 'flip out' to fit on the screen)... its a neat trick IMO... and quite useful too. :)

Pale Moon will do the 'flip out menu' trick if the Bookmarks Menu button is over on the far right-hand side of the Navigation toolbar... but it won't 'flip out' when the Bookmarks Menu button is on the left-hand side.

Just one of those little browser UI mysteries... the 'flip out' left must have arrived in time for Basilisk's code base... just not before Pale Moon's final fork? :(

Basilisk showing 'Flip out' to left Bookmarks Menu dropdown.png
Basilisk showing Bookmarks Menu dropdown 'flip out' to left. Neat! :D

PS. Those with sharp eyes might notice that the Basilisk (Australis) UI's rather unusual 'Combined Bookmark Star & Menu button' has also been 'flipped' over in screenshot above... so the Bookmarks Menu button is now on the LH side of the button pair... to enable maximum 'flip out' of the menu box.

CSS userstyle used to swap the Combined Bookmarks buttons over:

/*  Swap Basilisk Bookmarks Menu button with Bookmarks 'Star' button  */
/*  From 'cor-el' answer in SUMO Q&A: 'Swap bookmarks menu with bookmarks 'star' button': https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1035500  */

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* only needed once */

#bookmarks-menu-button > dropmarker { -moz-box-ordinal-group: 0 !important; }

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.