Heads up: BBC iPlayer web changes incoming.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Heads up: BBC iPlayer web changes incoming.

Unread post by satrow » 2023-06-22, 08:10

Started getting dire warnings, 'modern browsers only soon':
Why am I seeing a message ‘Please update your browser’ when I try to play BBC video?
We’ve recently released a new player for iPlayer on the Web platform, which all our products are moving to. The new player optimises for different screen sizes and uses the latest standards and technologies for web products.

Your device is using the legacy player if you see either of these messages:

Please update your browser
This is BBC iPlayer’s basic version

Do I have to update my browser to continue watching programmes on iPlayer?

No, you will still be able to watch all programmes on iPlayer with the legacy player. However the legacy player does not have the full functionality of the new player.
How is the legacy player different from the new player?

From the end of July 2023 there will be reduced functionality in the legacy player including the removal of auto-play, no recommendations at the end of playback and the removal of specific buttons to restart live content and skip trailers.
What do I need to do to get the new BBC player?
1. Find out your device's operating system and browser.

What you need to do depends on the operating system on your device. (The operating system controls the device's hardware and software).
Find this out by checking whatsmyos.com through your device's internet browser (read our external links policy).
You can find the version of your browser by selecting ‘help → about’ in your browser.

2. Based on your operating system and browser, follow these instructions:
Operating system Instructions
iOS pre 15.4 If your phone or tablet has an iOS version pre 15.4, you will need to upgrade your operating system to at least 15.4 (following the vendor's guidance).
Apple Mac pre-10.15 If your device has an operating system pre 10.15, you will need to upgrade your operating system to at least 10.15 (following the vendor's guidance).
Google Chrome If your device has a browser with a pre version 86, you will need to upgrade to at least version 86 to get the new player (following the browser vendor's guidance).
Microsoft Edge If your device has a browser with a pre version 86, you will need to upgrade to at least version 86 to get the new player (following the browser vendor's guidance).
Mozilla Firefox If your device has a browser with a pre version 85, you will need to upgrade to at least version 85 to get the new player (following the browser vendor's guidance).
Safari If your device has a browser with a pre version 15.4, you will need to upgrade to at least version 15.4 to get the new player (following the browser vendor's guidance).
No mention of any reduction of video quality so it feels like the removal of the restart live content button is the main loss, otherwise a more hand's on/manual approach will be required in the near future.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Heads up: BBC iPlayer web changes incoming.

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-06-22, 09:30

So time to play whack-a-mole with the user-agent overrides again? Assuming that's all that's needed to get it to work :coffee:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-06-22, 10:48

satrow wrote:
2023-06-22, 08:10
'modern browsers only soon':
Well, we are a modern browser :) so.....
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

cannonmc
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by cannonmc » 2023-06-29, 08:50

BBC iPlayer really annoys me. I pay £159 a year for a licence and I still have to register and sign in. Have you ever used a TV remote control to sign in?

It is often quicker to download the programme from usenet than wait for iPlayer.

Oh dear, no recommendations from them :( They have never recommended anything that I would have have the slightest interest in

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2023-06-29, 09:12

Off-topic:
I've had the hump with the BBC for a long time. iPlayer's always been a pain, from having to log in to VPN issues (depends who you're with).

To use it with my Samsung "smart" TV I have to enable tracking on the TV or it won't remember my login. All the other "catch-up" players do not require enabling tracking.

It's long past the time the BBC licence fee was scrapped.
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.

GreatCthulhu

Unread post by GreatCthulhu » 2023-09-18, 07:27

To be absolutely honest I didn't even know BBC offered an iPlayer app. I just download stuff with get_iplayer and watch it at my leasure later.

cannonmc
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by cannonmc » 2023-10-03, 14:02

Does get_iplayer still work. I used to use HD Video Converter Factory (both free and Pro versions) to download anything from the BBC (Sounds and TV) just by adding the URL link location.

Now all I get is an error. And can't download anything. Really annoying because iPlayer is so inaccessible. Even trying to watch via my cable subscription is a pain. Often easier just to grab a copy from usenet and stick it on a USB stick

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2023-10-04, 10:26

cannonmc wrote:
2023-10-03, 14:02
Does get_iplayer still work. I used to use HD Video Converter Factory (both free and Pro versions) to download anything from the BBC (Sounds and TV) just by adding the URL link location.

Now all I get is an error. And can't download anything. Really annoying because iPlayer is so inaccessible. Even trying to watch via my cable subscription is a pain. Often easier just to grab a copy from usenet and stick it on a USB stick
Still working for me. It's hit and miss what will download though. I get a lot of "WARNING:", which means unavailable for whatever various reason.
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.

cannonmc
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by cannonmc » 2023-10-10, 09:06

Thanks, distantpluto, worth a try