32.2.0 Crash on MP4 in Windows 7

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: 32.2.0 Crash on MP4 in Windows 7

Unread post by dbsoft » 2023-05-21, 04:13

I debugged it with no script installed and the crash is happening in LoadedScript class, a class that got refactored with the Dynamic Module Import changes. I'll look into it and see what the issue is.

Issue #2252 opened.

andikay
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by andikay » 2023-05-22, 11:37

Thank you for your efforts, I have been following the opened issue with a lot of interest. I can answer the following question for Moonchild and others who are asking:
NoScript users for some reason prefer to keep using it despite its multitude of issues (some level of masochism there)
We use it because have been using it for years and it works for us and is set up exactly the way we want it to. I have rarely ever experienced issues with NoScript itself (they exist, but they are few and far between), it's more like it creates more issues for devs than they care for.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-05-22, 13:31

andikay wrote:
2023-05-22, 11:37
it creates more issues for devs than they care for.
Just to be clear on this point: a web browser is already exceedingly complex without induced crashes and corruption caused by an extension that clearly has some fundamental design flaws. We don't necessarily have to address these issues but decide to do so where it's proportional to the problems it causes for users. We could simply have said "it's caused by the extension so we're not going to do anything" which would have been just as fair and reasonable of a response.

The fact that you've not run into issues for years doesn't mean that the issues don't exist. You can be a woodworker that uses a circular saw without a shield for years and never experience a problem. That doesn't mean there's no danger of someone losing their fingers. Right now the problem has simply become more exposed because of the work done on script loading in the core. What we can do to mitigate problems is very limited because we cannot and will not hold back necessary development to cater to an extension that isn't being maintained, no matter how many people use it. This time around the workaround was fairly simple but that doesn't mean the resulting circumstances are necessarily stable (it may actually end up breaking media playback altogether if it hits it slightly more severely). It did highlight more of the reason why noscript has been causing problems for years, though. And it really should be outright blocked because it is absolutely harmful to browser operation, but we're staying on this status quo to serve you guys as long as we can. It may get to a point where there is no workaround anymore though and then either noscript has to be updated to solve the issue with it once and for all, or you have to stop using it in favor of the (at least!) just as capable alternatives out there.

[/$0.02]
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2023-05-22, 16:53

Heh, I totally missed the 2nd page, so I guess this is irrelevant (except maybe the part [hidden] on Process Explorer).
I'll just "me too" - that I do NOT have any issues with that link - Win7.
No untold CPU, memory, or I/O usage.

As far as a "mini-dump", I'd think Process Explorer would be a much easier way to generate one.

(Right-click, palemoon.exe, Create Dump -> Create Minidump...)

Plain-jane, clean, robust, Win7.
(Onboard [CPU] graphics, is what I use.)

Code: Select all

Application Basics
------------------

Name: Pale Moon
Version: 32.2.0 (64-bit)
Build ID: 20230515102922
Update Channel: release
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/6.2 Firefox/102.0 PaleMoon/32.2.0
Safe Mode: false

Extensions
----------

Graphics
--------

Features
Compositing: Direct3D 11
GPU Accelerated Windows: 2/2 Direct3D 11 (OMTC)
Asynchronous Pan/Zoom: none
WebGL 1 Driver WSI Info: EGL_VENDOR: Google Inc. (adapter LUID: 0000000000007669) EGL_VERSION: 1.4 (ANGLE 2.1.0.) EGL_EXTENSIONS: EGL_EXT_create_context_robustness EGL_ANGLE_d3d_share_handle_client_buffer EGL_ANGLE_surface_d3d_texture_2d_share_handle EGL_ANGLE_query_surface_pointer EGL_ANGLE_window_fixed_size EGL_ANGLE_keyed_mutex EGL_ANGLE_surface_orientation EGL_NV_post_sub_buffer EGL_KHR_create_context EGL_EXT_device_query EGL_KHR_image EGL_KHR_image_base EGL_KHR_gl_texture_2D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_cubemap_image EGL_KHR_gl_renderbuffer_image EGL_KHR_get_all_proc_addresses EGL_KHR_stream EGL_KHR_stream_consumer_gltexture EGL_NV_stream_consumer_gltexture_yuv EGL_ANGLE_flexible_surface_compatibility EGL_EXTENSIONS(nullptr): EGL_EXT_client_extensions EGL_EXT_platform_base EGL_EXT_platform_device EGL_ANGLE_platform_angle EGL_ANGLE_platform_angle_d3d EGL_ANGLE_device_creation EGL_ANGLE_device_creation_d3d11 EGL_ANGLE_experimental_present_path EGL_KHR_client_get_all_proc_addresses
WebGL 1 Driver Renderer: Google Inc. -- ANGLE (Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 Direct3D11 vs_5_0 ps_5_0)
WebGL 1 Driver Version: OpenGL ES 2.0 (ANGLE 2.1.0.)
WebGL 1 Driver Extensions: GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_OES_get_program_binary GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_NV_pixel_buffer_object GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_EXT_map_buffer_range GL_EXT_color_buffer_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float_linear GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_float_linear GL_EXT_texture_rg GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5 GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture GL_EXT_sRGB GL_ANGLE_depth_texture GL_OES_depth32 GL_EXT_texture_storage GL_OES_texture_npot GL_EXT_draw_buffers GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean GL_NV_fence GL_EXT_disjoint_timer_query GL_EXT_robustness GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_blit GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_multisample GL_ANGLE_instanced_arrays GL_ANGLE_pack_reverse_row_order GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_EXT_shader_texture_lod GL_EXT_frag_depth GL_ANGLE_texture_usage GL_ANGLE_translated_shader_source GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_OES_EGL_image GL_OES_EGL_image_external GL_NV_EGL_stream_consumer_external GL_EXT_unpack_subimage GL_NV_pack_subimage GL_OES_vertex_array_object GL_KHR_debug GL_ANGLE_lossy_etc_decode GL_CHROMIUM_bind_uniform_location GL_CHROMIUM_sync_query GL_CHROMIUM_copy_texture
WebGL 1 Extensions: ANGLE_instanced_arrays EXT_blend_minmax EXT_color_buffer_half_float EXT_frag_depth EXT_shader_texture_lod EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic EXT_disjoint_timer_query MOZ_debug_get OES_element_index_uint OES_standard_derivatives OES_texture_float OES_texture_float_linear OES_texture_half_float OES_texture_half_float_linear OES_vertex_array_object WEBGL_color_buffer_float WEBGL_compressed_texture_etc1 WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_depth_texture WEBGL_draw_buffers WEBGL_lose_context MOZ_WEBGL_lose_context MOZ_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc MOZ_WEBGL_depth_texture
WebGL 2 Driver WSI Info: EGL_VENDOR: Google Inc. (adapter LUID: 0000000000007669) EGL_VERSION: 1.4 (ANGLE 2.1.0.) EGL_EXTENSIONS: EGL_EXT_create_context_robustness EGL_ANGLE_d3d_share_handle_client_buffer EGL_ANGLE_surface_d3d_texture_2d_share_handle EGL_ANGLE_query_surface_pointer EGL_ANGLE_window_fixed_size EGL_ANGLE_keyed_mutex EGL_ANGLE_surface_orientation EGL_NV_post_sub_buffer EGL_KHR_create_context EGL_EXT_device_query EGL_KHR_image EGL_KHR_image_base EGL_KHR_gl_texture_2D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_cubemap_image EGL_KHR_gl_renderbuffer_image EGL_KHR_get_all_proc_addresses EGL_KHR_stream EGL_KHR_stream_consumer_gltexture EGL_NV_stream_consumer_gltexture_yuv EGL_ANGLE_flexible_surface_compatibility EGL_EXTENSIONS(nullptr): EGL_EXT_client_extensions EGL_EXT_platform_base EGL_EXT_platform_device EGL_ANGLE_platform_angle EGL_ANGLE_platform_angle_d3d EGL_ANGLE_device_creation EGL_ANGLE_device_creation_d3d11 EGL_ANGLE_experimental_present_path EGL_KHR_client_get_all_proc_addresses
WebGL 2 Driver Renderer: Google Inc. -- ANGLE (Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 Direct3D11 vs_5_0 ps_5_0)
WebGL 2 Driver Version: OpenGL ES 3.0 (ANGLE 2.1.0.)
WebGL 2 Driver Extensions: GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_OES_get_program_binary GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_NV_pixel_buffer_object GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_EXT_map_buffer_range GL_EXT_color_buffer_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float_linear GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_float_linear GL_EXT_texture_rg GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5 GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture GL_EXT_sRGB GL_ANGLE_depth_texture GL_OES_depth32 GL_EXT_texture_storage GL_OES_texture_npot GL_EXT_draw_buffers GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean GL_NV_fence GL_EXT_disjoint_timer_query GL_EXT_robustness GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_blit GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_multisample GL_ANGLE_instanced_arrays GL_ANGLE_pack_reverse_row_order GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_EXT_shader_texture_lod GL_EXT_frag_depth GL_ANGLE_texture_usage GL_ANGLE_translated_shader_source GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_OES_EGL_image GL_OES_EGL_image_external GL_OES_EGL_image_external_essl3 GL_NV_EGL_stream_consumer_external GL_EXT_unpack_subimage GL_NV_pack_subimage GL_EXT_color_buffer_float GL_OES_vertex_array_object GL_KHR_debug GL_ANGLE_lossy_etc_decode GL_CHROMIUM_bind_uniform_location GL_CHROMIUM_sync_query GL_CHROMIUM_copy_texture GL_EXT_texture_norm16
WebGL 2 Extensions: EXT_color_buffer_float EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic EXT_disjoint_timer_query MOZ_debug_get OES_texture_float_linear WEBGL_compressed_texture_etc WEBGL_compressed_texture_etc1 WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_lose_context MOZ_WEBGL_lose_context MOZ_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc
Hardware H264 Decoding: No; Hardware video decoding disabled or blacklisted
Audio Backend: wasapi
Direct2D: true
DirectWrite: true (6.2.9200.22902)
GPU #1
Active: Yes
Description: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x0162
Driver Version: 12.100.0.0
Driver Date: 1-15-2013
Drivers: igdumd64 igd10umd64 igd10umd64 igdumd32 igd10umd32 igd10umd32
Subsys ID: 05481028
RAM: Unknown

Diagnostics
AzureCanvasAccelerated: 0
AzureCanvasBackend: direct2d 1.1
AzureContentBackend: direct2d 1.1
AzureFallbackCanvasBackend: cairo

Important Modified Preferences
------------------------------

browser.cache.disk.capacity: 358400
browser.cache.disk.enable: false
browser.cache.disk.parent_directory: C:\WLIB\FIREFOX\Palemoon-Portable-32.2.0.win64\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default
browser.cache.disk.smart_size.first_run: false
browser.download.importedFromSqlite: true
browser.download.manager.retention: 1
browser.download.useDownloadDir: false
browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion: 4
browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID: 20230515102922
browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone: 6.2.0
extensions.lastAppVersion: 32.2.0
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.appVersion: 32.2.0
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.deviceID: 0x0162
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.driverVersion: 12.100.0.0
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.feature-d2d: true
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.feature-d3d11: true
gfx.crash-guard.status.d3d11layers: 2
network.cookie.prefsMigrated: true
places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages: 122334
plugin.expose_full_path: true
privacy.sanitize.migrateFx3Prefs: true

user.js Preferences
-------------------

Your profile folder contains a user.js file, which includes preferences that were not created by Pale Moon.

Important Locked Preferences
----------------------------

Places Database
---------------

JavaScript
----------

Incremental GC: true

Accessibility
-------------

Activated: false
Prevent Accessibility: 1

Library Versions
----------------

NSPR
Expected minimum version: 4.35
Version in use: 4.35

NSS
Expected minimum version: 3.79.4
Version in use: 3.79.4

NSSSMIME

NSSSSL

NSSUTIL
Last edited by therube on 2023-05-22, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.

andikay
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by andikay » 2023-05-22, 16:56

Moonchild wrote:
2023-05-22, 13:31
We don't necessarily have to address these issues but decide to do so where it's proportional to the problems it causes for users. We could simply have said "it's caused by the extension so we're not going to do anything" which would have been just as fair and reasonable of a response.
You are correct, you don't have to. But you are making a browser for users who look for alternatives to the big and well known browsers, and I assume you want users to use that browser, because otherwise why would you bother making it in the first place. This comes with certain things such as supporting the user base in a way that big browsers usually don't.

And just to be clear on this point: The second sentence in the quote is exactly what moonbat said. But thankfully there are some people here who care in a way that is beneficial for the user base instead of alienating.

I also never said that issues don't exist, so please don't try to put that in my mouth. I even literally said "they exist". What I said was that I have been using it for years (on multiple browsers) and rarely ever (attention, "rarely ever" does NOT mean NEVER) encountered problems with it.

And what you have described right now is exactly what I said: it causes more issues for devs than they care for, which is understandable. It's neither fun nor great to have to support an addon that causes issues under the hood, but I imagine it's possibly deemed a necessary evil for a niche browser with a selective user base and a rather popular addon.

I am fully aware that at some point it might be no longer viable to plug the holes a certain addon creates and that addon has to be retired, but luckily that point has not come yet for NoScript today, so thank you guys for that :).

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-05-22, 17:12

andikay wrote:
2023-05-22, 16:56
it's possibly deemed a necessary evil for a niche browser with a selective user base and a rather popular addon
Nonsense. eMatrix is a far better extension than noscript has ever been, and it's fully maintained and up to date: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/ematrix/

If I can use it then I'm sure that anyone that's a Pale Moon user would be able to without trouble - trust me, I am not a member of the technical elite crowd.

And if you don't like eMatrix, then uBlock in advanced mode will handle anything that noscript ever did and better. Using a nasty old piece of un-maintained junk like "classic" noscript when superior extensions have been readily available for years is all your responsibility, no one else's, you shouldn't act like this is somehow the Pale Moon devs' problem. :coffee:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-05-22, 17:27

andikay wrote:
But you are making a browser for users who look for alternatives to the big and well known browsers
Am I? When have I ever said that? :)
andikay wrote:
I assume you want users to use that browser
...but not at all costs. And that's where your reasoning unfortunately falters.

As already said by others: better extensions exist. And make no mistake the NoScript issue has at all times been a status quo, once it became clear it caused crashes and profile corruption. I've made no secret about the fact that it's not working well with Pale Moon, and you are on your own aside from what fellow users might be able to do to help alleviate the problems.
andikay wrote:
I imagine it's possibly deemed a necessary evil for a niche browser with a selective user base and a rather popular addon.
Actually, no. It's in no way considered a necessary evil because that would indicate the necessity of people using it. For lack of a better term, the use is condoned, with some massive caveats, because some people absolutely insist they think they need it. And just because that status quo has now existed for years doesn't mean the situation has changed or that it's suddenly receiving support when we work around a nasty crash caused by it. The only reason this will be worked around is because it was a trivial one that does not affect browser functionality otherwise (since it caters to a situation that normally would not occur).

So, for now, you can continue using NoScript, dangerous as it may be to do so. But eventually you will have to get used to using other extensions. I suggest you get an early start with it so you don't have to do it on short notice when it does definitively break.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

andikay
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by andikay » 2023-05-22, 21:02

As long as issues of users are being heard and the issues are being dealt with I consider that "support" and am happy about it :). But make no mistake, the customizability and ability to use older addons (no matter if NoScript or a simple old FF addon like oldbar) are two of the main reasons people use PM - which is also why the outcry was substantial when some old FF addons were suddenly not working anymore after you released a new version of PM (I think it was PM 30), even though all people had to do was edit the .rdf file.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2023-05-22, 22:51

In my super-simple test, with NoScript disabled, there is no more crash; the movie plays fine.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2023-05-22, 23:43

Off-topic:
andyprough wrote:
2023-05-22, 17:12
... And if you don't like eMatrix, then uBlock in advanced mode will handle anything that noscript ever did and better..."
Although this sounds pretty straightforward, frankly, reading the uBlock dev's caveats scared me off.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Advanced-user-features

I've tried eMatrix, but wasn't able to figure it out. I'm not wedded to No Script by any means, but I've used it for years and years. If and when Pale Moon kills it, I'll look into a plan B.

Pale Moon was my default browser for years - since the day Australis landed in Firefox.

I'm sorry to have to confess, though, that Firefox regained its default status a couple of months ago because Pale Moon isn't able to deal with the scripts on virtually all of the sites I use that involve financial transactions. In my case, all of them require American Express's "SafeKey" function, which Pale Moon can't handle.

Sorry for the diversion.
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-05-23, 00:56

JoeyG wrote:
2023-05-22, 23:43
I've tried eMatrix, but wasn't able to figure it out.
The defaults for eMatrix are already set and easy to use, you just change blocks of 3rd-party scripts from red to green on the left-hand side of the table to allow those domains.

Both uBlock and eMatrix are easier to use than noscript, as they go by color - uBlock you go from red to grey with the right-hand column blocks (set 3rd party scripts to red with the left-hand column block when you first start). That's it, in terms of beginning to use both of them. On both of them, if you like the changes you can hit the lock button, if you want to revert the changes just hit the revert arrow, or they'll revert when you either leave the page or the browser. Easy.

And you are actually safer, whereas with noscript classic the developer of the extension is telling people to literally not use it. It is not keeping you safe, and it is known to mess up your profile - not good all around.

I should post some beginner videos that I can point people to.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2023-05-23, 07:05

Off-topic:
JoeyG wrote:
2023-05-22, 23:43
Although this sounds pretty straightforward, frankly, reading the uBlock dev's caveats scared me off.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Advanced-user-features
Reading the wiki is a recommended first step while understanding what one reads a basic prerequisite.
See the screenshot of the advanced settings the wiki refers to.

No sane average user should/would touch those settings and there is no need to do so.
Attachments
ubo.png

andikay
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by andikay » 2023-05-23, 08:29

andyprough wrote:
2023-05-23, 00:56
It is not keeping you safe
I respectfully disagree with that one.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2023-05-23, 09:52

andikay wrote:
2023-05-23, 08:29
andyprough wrote:
2023-05-23, 00:56
It is not keeping you safe
I respectfully disagree with that one.
It's totally irrelevant whether it does or not.

- If an user encounters problems with the browser he/she should test with a fresh profile before asking for help in the forum. Period.
- In case the problem doesn't show up with a fresh profile it's not a browser problem. Period.
- It's the responsibility of the user to find out which add-on is the culprit.
- For maintained add-ons person to contact is the respective maintainer.
- If the add-on is unmaintained the user is on his own. Period. Browser developers are not in charge for add-ons except they are the maintainer.

The above applies to any browser and add-on (NoScript or whatever).

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2023-05-23, 10:18

Off-topic:
My bank site (Targo Bank, a big European financial institution) didn't work properly with eMatrix.

For example, when I typed in my name and password, the on-screen cues were still visible, which they hadn't been before. Furthermore, for some unknown reason, when I tried to confirm my transaction, I was taken to a French-language page that I had never encountered before.

I disabled ematrix and everything was OK again.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2023-05-23, 15:18

@JoeyG, what version of Windows (in case this turns out to be Win7 specific)?

So... with this discussion, I put in eMatrix, & well, color me confused.
One of the comments above helped, a little, but I'm still confused. I'll have to stew on this.

And then I put in NoScript, & crashed immediately on bigbuckbunny.
And I'm like, hmm, how do you like that.

Restart & loaded another page (also mentioned in these parts), https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0022W59IC/.

And with that (& with NoScript enabled), PM (simply) disappeared.
Faulting application name: Palemoon.exe, version: 6.2.0.8535, time stamp: 0x64621732
Faulting module name: mozjs.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x64621a08
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000003c9e8d
Faulting process id: 0x14ec
Faulting application start time: 0x01d98d8806243b26
Faulting application path: C:\WLIB\FIREFOX\Palemoon-Portable-32.2.0.win64\Bin\Palemoon\Palemoon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WLIB\FIREFOX\Palemoon-Portable-32.2.0.win64\Bin\Palemoon\mozjs.dll
Report Id: 51e0b5ed-f97b-11ed-b00a-0021706a187d

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2023-05-23, 18:04

@JoeyG, what version of Windows (in case this turns out to be Win7 specific)?
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29854#p239610
Restart & loaded another page (also mentioned in these parts), https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0022W59IC/.

And with that (& with NoScript enabled), PM (simply) disappeared.
Here, too,

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-05-23, 21:12

JoeyG wrote:
2023-05-23, 10:18
Off-topic:
My bank site (Targo Bank, a big European financial institution) didn't work properly with eMatrix. ... I disabled ematrix and everything was OK again.
eMatrix has a power button to enable/disable it in its window for just that eventuality. Same as noscript and same as uBlock. Turn it off for the site that's not working (if you trust the site), and then turn it back on when you are done with that site. It's actually pretty simple to use it in its basic, default setup, and it works, whereas I seriously question if noscript classic is doing much of anything at all at this late date.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-05-24, 00:07

andyprough wrote:
2023-05-23, 21:12
eMatrix has a power button to enable/disable it in its window for just that eventuality
Better way is to understand that eMatrix works as a whitelist - nothing 3rd party is allowed to run on a website by default except what you explicitly allow. This can cause problems with CDNs that are often from a different domain. So if the bank for example uses a CDN with a similar name, you would have to allow scripts from it. eMatrix's log will show you blocked items highlighted in red (type -- in the filter to only show blocked items). Other sites use Recaptcha for login - so that means you need to allow frames from google.com and scripts from google.com, gstatic.com and recaptcha.net otherwise the captcha won't be visible. A bit of trial and error and common sense and you can get it working smoothly for your frequently visited sites.
gepus wrote:
2023-05-23, 09:52
- If an user encounters problems with the browser he/she should test with a fresh profile before asking for help in the forum. Period.
- In case the problem doesn't show up with a fresh profile it's not a browser problem. Period.
- It's the responsibility of the user to find out which add-on is the culprit.
- For maintained add-ons person to contact is the respective maintainer.
- If the add-on is unmaintained the user is on his own. Period. Browser developers are not in charge for add-ons except they are the maintainer.
Perfectly put. This needs to be in the new post template (not that it would prevent genius newbies from completely ignoring it :coffee: )
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-05-24, 00:57

moonbat wrote:
2023-05-24, 00:07
Better way is to understand that eMatrix works as a whitelist - nothing 3rd party is allowed to run on a website by default except what you explicitly allow. This can cause problems with CDNs that are often from a different domain. So if the bank for example uses a CDN with a similar name, you would have to allow scripts from it. eMatrix's log will show you blocked items highlighted in red (type -- in the filter to only show blocked items). Other sites use Recaptcha for login - so that means you need to allow frames from google.com and scripts from google.com, gstatic.com and recaptcha.net otherwise the captcha won't be visible. A bit of trial and error and common sense and you can get it working smoothly for your frequently visited sites.
I gathered that the user had already allowed all 3rd party scripts and frames and was still unable to enter the banking site without disabling eMatrix altogether. I could be wrong though.

As you know, eMatrix does do more than just whitelist and blacklist domains - it also has ad, tracking, and malware block lists similar to uBlock, among other things.