Cursor Over Links- No Longer Displayed Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
larryg
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Cursor Over Links- No Longer Displayed

Unread post by larryg » 2023-05-17, 14:55

Operating systemWin 10
Browser version:32.2.10
32-bit or 64-bit browser?:64 bit
Problem URL:many
Browser theme (if not default):
Installed add-ons:ABL
Installed plugins: (about:plugins):VLC Web Plugin, Java(TM) Platform SE8U361, Java Deployment Toolkit 8.0.3310.8

This may be covered elsewhere, but I wasn't sure what to search for....

Hovering the cursor over a hyperlink in an article I'm reading would always display the URL of the link in the lower left corner of the page.
I found this helpful, to know where I might be going before clicking on the link.
It also showed the status of what was loading after clicking on the link.
Recently ( sorry I don't remember exactly when ) this has disappeared. Nothing is displayed in the lower left corner anymore.
What's going on with this please, and if it was intentionally removed - would the developers please consider restoring it?
Thanks for any and all help on this..

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Cursor Over Links- No Longer Displayed

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-05-17, 15:00

Sometimes, the status bar code gets confused (it's rare these days but still happens sometimes). This wasn't removed or anything.
To reset the status bar module, go into about:config and set the preference status4evar.firstRun to "true" with a double-click. Restart the browser. (Note that it will re-initialise and this pref will automatically be set false when that's done; that's normal).

If that for some odd reason doesn't solve it, we may have to do something a bit more impactful like creating a new profile.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

larryg
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by larryg » 2023-05-18, 01:37

I tried resetting the status4evar.firstRun to true, several times. No luck.
I made a new test profile, and the status bar is working in that one.
So I guess I need to work getting everything else where I want it in the new Profile, then make it my default.
Thanks Moonchild....

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-05-18, 05:35

Before you do that, also check if you haven't inadvertently just disabled the status bar. Press Ctrl+/ on your keyboard with the browser in focus.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

larryg
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by larryg » 2023-05-18, 13:59

Moonchild wrote:
2023-05-18, 05:35
Before you do that, also check if you haven't inadvertently just disabled the status bar. Press Ctrl+/ on your keyboard with the browser in focus.
That fixed it ...
Thanks, Moonchild.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2023-05-19, 02:13

You can also toggle the status bar by right-clicking on an empty space of the navigation toolbar or the tabs bar (or menu bar if you have that toggled) which will show you a context menu containing checkboxes for various toolbars. That's what I'd usually check first in this case if I accidentally hidden my status bar. ;)

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-05-19, 03:00

Or if you have the menubar enabled, then View-> Toolbars -> Statusbar.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-05-19, 09:17

moonbat wrote:
2023-05-19, 03:00
Or if you have the menubar enabled, then View-> Toolbars -> Statusbar.
Or if not, Pale Moon button -> Preferences -> Status Bar
(but i thought the shortcut key was the quickest way to check here)

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-05-19, 09:26

Shortcut keys are indeed quick, but a discoverable menu option is easiest for someone not familiar with the shortcut, or as a first step for a newbie. And a refreshing bit about traditional desktop UIs over touchscreen ones where shortcuts are controlled by gestures. Took me a long time to figure you could swipe left/right on a mail in the Gmail app to archive or delete it, because it's not something immediately obvious. A first time user of a well designed desktop application can see what all options are there in the menus as well as the shortcut key used to activate them for future reference.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX