Run palemoon with specified JRE

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
sigurroot
New to the forum
New to the forum

Run palemoon with specified JRE

Unread post by sigurroot » 2023-03-23, 17:48

I have two java runtimes on my system 1.8.0_361 and 1.8.0_121. 1.8.0_361 being the default for my system and set in my PATH / JAVA_HOME. Runtime 1.8.0_121 is recognised as expected by palemoon 32.1. But when I run said application, it list 1.8.0_361 as the java runtime in the java console.

I assume this is happening because 1.8.0_361 is installed in my PATH. Is there a way to tell palemoon to use a the older runtime?

riskyanon
New to the forum
New to the forum

Re: Run palemoon with specified JRE

Unread post by riskyanon » 2023-05-15, 11:33

To specify a specific Java Runtime Environment (JRE) for Pale Moon to use, you can follow these steps:

Open Pale Moon and go to the address "about:config" in the browser's address bar.
You will see a warning message. Proceed by clicking the "I accept the risk!" button.
In the search bar at the top, type "java" to filter the preferences.
Look for the preference named "plugin.load_flash_only". Double-click on it to set its value to "false". This step ensures that the Java plugin will be loaded.
Next, search for the preference named "plugin.expose_full_path". Double-click on it to set its value to "true". This step is required to expose the full path of the Java plugin.
Now, close Pale Moon completely and open it again.
Go to the website or application that requires Java.
When prompted to choose the Java Runtime Environment, you should see a list of available options, including the different versions installed on your system.
Select the desired JRE (in your case, 1.8.0_121) from the list.
By following these steps, you should be able to specify the older Java runtime (1.8.0_121) for Pale Moon to use instead of the default one (1.8.0_361) that is set in your PATH and JAVA_HOME environment variables.